Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another Bedroom TV replacement question

New-to-us 2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD. I have searched and found a few discussions about this but not my model and year. My bedroom tv is housed in a wood cabinet that protrudes from the corner wall. The question is, how do I remove the old tv from the cabinet? I can see the metal strap that holds the tv in place and can locate a few screws inside the cabinet, but those are almost impossible to reach. I'm just thinking maybe there is an easier solution. I replaced the front tv a few weeks ago, but this one looks much more difficult. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Remove screws to remove strap and tv will come out. Had to do the same thing with ours to get it out
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the post Ranger....The metal strap on mine appears to attached by a bolt and nut. The head of the bolt is covered by the bottom of the cabinet. The strap is tight enough that I cannot move the tv enough to have room to reach the nut with a wrench. When you said remove the screw, do you mean the screws that hold on the face of the cabinet?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I just replaced our bedroom CRT with a new 24" flat-screen. The corner cabinet face-trim is removed first by prying the wood buttons out with a knife, then remove the screws and remove the face-trim. Remove the paneling from the bottom of the cabinet. The bolts that hold the metal strap are unscrewed from the bottom with a Phillips screw driver. There is a wood screw holding the strap at the top of the cabinet. The metal strap is stuck to the TV on top and upper sides with foam tape, which must be pried loose. Once the screws are out and tape is loose, the TV will fall out if not held. I did it myself(and now have a bulging disk in my back), 2 persons should, one to hold the TV while the other removes the coax, speaker plug, and AC cord. Then the cabinet may be removed as a unit, L-brackets inside have 2 screws holding the bracket to the wall, mine had 5 L-brackets. The bottom metal plate has (I think) 10 wood screws holding it to the walls.
If yours was mounted like mine,there is a hole in the wall about 18" sq that must be filled-in before you can mount the new TV.

I used this Cheetah mount to place the new flat-screen on the wall because it holds the TV 1" from the wall, and that mount has a unique system the allows you to remove the TV from the wall quite easily if you need to access the TV back for any reason.

EDIT: Don't be concerned about tearing up the cabinet, it's not like you'll use it again, or anyone would buy it from you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ray. Do you have any pictures of how your project turned out? Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It's out!!!

Thanks Ranger and Ray for your help. Based on what you both told me, I got the old tv out. My setup may be a little different than yours, Ray. For anyone else watching, my unit does not have a way to remove all of the face trim of the cabinet from the outside. I removed the small Philips head screws (about 6) from the bottom wood panel. This released the bottom plate. From there I could locate the heads of the 2 bolts which tie down the metal retaining strap. I loosened one as much as I could, then took the other bolt completely out. This freed up the tv. I then removed 2 screws from the underside of the bottom lip of the face trim, (sounds very confusing...sorry) which allowed the tv to slide out of the box. It was a very tight squeeze, but finally came out.
Thanks for the help,
Mg
Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Another happy customer....God, I love this place...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes Ray ...we want pics! I plan to replace our bedroom tv but have not considered removing the cabinet. I am thinking of having some storage behind a hinged tv. Also, did you set the new tv up via audio jack to run the ceiling speakers over the bed? (I am assuming you have those like we do).
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Just a little off subject. I removed mine when the lock for the TV didn't latch properly and I extended the passengers side slide. It was a sickening crunching sound.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Yes Ray ...we want pics! I plan to replace our bedroom tv but have not considered removing the cabinet. I am thinking of having some storage behind a hinged tv. Also, did you set the new tv up via audio jack to run the ceiling speakers over the bed? (I am assuming you have those like we do).
Sorry, I did not take pictures, never thought of it. I did it in a rush, about 4 hours work time. Right now it isn't pretty, my woodworking skills do not compare to my metalworking skills (former toolmaker). I used 3/4" Birch plywood to fill the huge gaping hole behind the TV cabinet, with 1x4 bracing behind the wall(used one of the old "L" brackets to hold it to the outside wall) to hold the plywood and support the TV mount. Look up our UF layout (there's only one) in the W sales brochure online, to see where our bedroom TV is located. Now our bedroom TV is flat against that bulkhead, that mount holds it 1" from the wall; little chance of bumping my head now too.

FYI, our bulkhead between the bedroom and bathroom is not fastened to the outside wall at the top, the old TV cabinet holds it in place. I used an old "L" bracket to attach it to the outside wall too.
I still wonder why Winnebago cut such a huge irregular-shaped hole, just to run the coax, the speaker wire, and AC power cord. I plan to fill any cracks with caulking and cover the plywood with contact paper if DW finds some that matches the existing wall covering. I left a 3" hole(barely big enough for my hand) to plug in the AC power cord,(the AC receptacle is mounted behind the wall). I still have to fill-in the old screw holes with filler too.
Yes, the overhead speakers over the bed work well, I plugged the speaker jack into the TV headphone jack and it works just as well as the OEM setup.
I'll do all that after we arrive at Key West, right now we are concentrating on packing up to beat the next storm (Thurs) here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ray;
Even though you did not take pictures could you post a picture of the installed TV.
I would like to do this modification to allow more room to move around the bed.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I removed the tv cabinet and found that I am not going to be able to do the project like Ray did. I have the same large whole in the wall that Ray describes, but also, I also have a hole in the ceiling about 3" in front of that wall where a mass of wires came down into the tv cabinet behind the tv. So I will have to build a new box that extends out from the wall, but it will not come out nearly as far into the bedroom as the old tv cabinet.

I am working on rebuilding the old cabinet and using it to mount the new tv. I ripped about 7" off the side wall of the cabinet, replaced the mounting "L" brackets and other mounting wood strips. I also ripped the same amount of material from the bottom (3/4" plywood) and the bottom covering (3/16" matching paneling material). One thing I have not yet checked is to see if there are studs or some type of solid support behind the wall and ceiling where the right side and ceiling "L" brackets will attach. That could require me to do something else, but I have not wasted much time...except waiting for glue to dry.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

This "how to article" shows one example of a bedroom TV replacement. It may give you an idea...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Last year I replaced our rear tv . I cut a piece of 3/4 "plywood to fit the opening. I then stained to try matching existing trim. Installed with Piano hinge. I used the barrel lock . Most doesn't show 26" tv hides most of door. The extra storage is nice!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement