Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Tim and Paula --- I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage and it took a while before I found the TV amplifier. On my MH in the compartment to the right of the front TV, there is a rocker switch that controls the "surround sound" --- to the right of this switch (and it is hidden unless you really look for it) is the Winegard amplifier switch. On my MH it is a brown switch plate (which makes it hard to see) and there is one small push button that turns the amplifier on. When depressed, a red light comes on and that supplies power to the antenna. When pushed again (the small push button) the power goes off. Hope this helps you in finding your amplifier -- I am sure you probably have one.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Question Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Tim and Paula --- I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage and it took a while before I found the TV amplifier. On my MH in the compartment to the right of the front TV, there is a rocker switch that controls the "surround sound" --- to the right of this switch (and it is hidden unless you really look for it) is the Winegard amplifier switch. On my MH it is a brown switch plate (which makes it hard to see) and there is one small push button that turns the amplifier on. When depressed, a red light comes on and that supplies power to the antenna. When pushed again (the small push button) the power goes off. Hope this helps you in finding your amplifier -- I am sure you probably have one.

I found the amplifier before I installed the Jack antenna. You are right. It is almost hidden. I also tried the amplifier that came with the Jack. No local but way better reception with all the out of town channels. I am going to call the local TV station to see what they say.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
This is certainly not the case. It's possible, but unlikely, you could be so close that you overdrive the digital receiver.
Depending on the antenna raidiation is does happen. The last thing you want to do is exclude your viewing audience by designing an antenna that had no RF near field unless you are in a place where there are just jack rabbits and tumbleweeds, then it's a waste of RF. There are areas here in Los Angeles close-in to Mt. Wilson that suffer from this because the transmitter is 5000' above them, BUT the population is considerably further out, and often the electrical and mechanical down-tilt are set to focus max energy into the metro's. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (StarTrek).

As for Rx overload, I have had this, usually caused by a local, or considerably stronger FM in the area swamping the TV.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

We recently added the Batwing to our Winegard Sensar Antenna before we heard about the Jack. I wonder if it is worth changing to the Jack after having added the upgrade? The upgrade gave us almost twice as many stations so we are happy with it. We do have a problem aiming the antenna properly in the state park we go to so I have ordered this: SureLock Digital Tv Signal Finder I hope that it is worth the $. I'll send it back if it is junk. Joe
Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

AZloafer

Don't waste your money on a over the air signal finder. All you need is a cheap compass and this web site: www.dtv.gov Go to the reception maps page and enter your zip code, click on the call sign of the stations listed and it will tell you exactly where to point your antenna.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
AZloafer

Don't waste your money on a over the air signal finder. All you need is a cheap compass and this web site: www.dtv.gov Go to the reception maps page and enter your zip code, click on the call sign of the stations listed and it will tell you exactly where to point your antenna.
Thanks for the info, Joe
Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

In my opinion, the Jack is worth it even if you have already bought the Wingman. My only regret about the Jack is that I didn't get one soon enough, I bought it after I had already bought and installed the Wingman. The Wingman is an enhancement to your old antenna, the Jack is a completely new antenna that is much better than the original antenna with or without the Wingman. The Wingman cost a little over half what I paid for the Jack. The Jack gives me much more bang for the buck!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

I still think you have a broken batwing. There is nothing magic about the jack. As an antenna, they all develop gain by adding reflector or directive elements to them, jack is no different, and THAT's where you are going to gather signal from. An amplifier will only amplify what it hears: back to the antenna.

I did lots of testing on the batwing with and without the Wingman and would love to do another with the Jack and compare data between the two. My bet is that there will be insignificant differences between the two. In fact I would lay money that the batwing will do a better job on low-VHF

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

According to our local TV and antenna store owner digital tv is all going to the UHF bandwidths and will not be on the VHF bandwidths soon. We only have 1 digital broadcaster in the area still on VHF and they are scheduled to go to UHF this fall. I think you are probably correct that the batwing will do better with VHF, but when no tv signals are to found there it becomes a moot point. I stand behind what I've experienced with my Jack antenna. I think it was money very well spent. If we were in the same area I would like to let you try my Jack. Your avatar picture doesn't look like it was taken in Wisconsin- correct? I've enjoyed a great increase in signal strength. I've camped right next to friends that had poor or no tv reception while ours was great. I don't think that all three of our rv's had bad antennas or amplifiers. There is a write up about the Jack antenna in a recent issue of Motorhome magazine, I think it was July or August issue. They also liked it.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Well..... not really. High VHF is alive and well across the entire US and Puerto Rico. Low VHF not so much, but there is still activity on it. It just depends on where you are as to the activity on any given band. And with the reduced ERP (power) levels these days, if you expect to see any of the VHF stations, you better have an antenna that performs equally as well across the entire spectrum.

While your local TV guy may be correct in his local area, rest assured that's not what the rest of the country is up to.

As to the pic... You're right. I spect we're 3 long driving days apart.
(and i still think ur batwing is broken )

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

More...

I saw the write-up on the Jack and it said exactly nothing. It had no specs to back up all these claims other than saying it was designed specifically for "DTV", which immediately causes me to discredit whoever wrote the article, because there is zero difference between analog and digital television.

I emailed Jack awhile back and asked for a technical spec sheet for the antenna (because I really am curious). What I got back was how wonderful their new "HDTV" antenna is, bla-bla... I wrote them back asking once again for technical specifications for the antenna, not a generic sales flier. That was the last communication with them.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Ok, so if my batwing was broken, (what can you break on it anyway?)and I still don't think it was, does anyone know how much it would have cost to fix or replace? The Jack cost me less than $50.00. Either way it's still money well spent.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

The amp is located within the head and they've been known to go or shake loose from vibration over time. I think the cost of a new head is about a wash with the Jack. Performance wise I think you're new antenna is on par with the batwing with the possible exception of VHF Low, simply because of it's physically smaller low band elements. Thats the reason I wanted to see the spec sheet on it. Might be interesting to buy one, test it and return it, just so I have that data against the Winegard.

Jeff - WA6EQU