Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AMP-L-Start battery charger

I purchased a 2005 Journey about a year ago. I have recently discovered while plugged into short power the engine starter batteries do not charge. The house batteries get charged but not the engine starter batteries. This was a surprise when I had been stationary for a couple of months and plugged into shore power, I went to start the rig and the batteries were dead.

I am looking for recommendations for a more "automatic" way to keep them charged when plugged in and came across the AMP-L charger. I have a pulse charger I have been using but I have to plug it in separately. I want to install something that will automatically kick on when plugged into shore power.

Any suggestions, helpful hints, etc. gladly accepted. If anyone also has info on how to install the unit that would be equally helpful.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Either find an always hot 12V DC outlet that runs off the chassis battery, and use it with your pulse charger plugged into one of the 120V AC outlets nearby inside the coach, when plugged into shore power,
or,
get a Trik-L-Start - it's supposed to sense shore power charging the house batteries, and then trickles some of it to the chassis battery. Requires some minor wiring to install.

I use the former method because it works for me.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's a Winnebago Service Tip on connecting up a Trik-L-Start (or Amp-L-Start): 2006-04 Trik-L-Start -
(Note that the LSLProducts link in the pdf is outdated. https://www.lslproducts.net/ is a current link.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
Site Team

I have an amp-l-start installed. I didn’t try to find the solenoid that the coach has I just went directly to the batteries since they sit next to each other. Ran some 12gauge wire. I did run the unit into the RV and put it in the circuit breaker cabinet with the 120/12v breakers so I can check it when I want to. I think it was about a 2 hour install total time.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Iinstalled the amp L over a year ago i connected to the solinoid in the front above the generator easy install it workd great keeps coach batterys charged best thing i have added love it.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I have an amp-l-start installed. I didnt try to find the solenoid that the coach has I just went directly to the batteries since they sit next to each other. Ran some 12gauge wire. I did run the unit into the RV and put it in the circuit breaker cabinet with the 120/12v breakers so I can check it when I want to. I think it was about a 2 hour install total time.
Exactly what I did, except I didn't mount it in the breaker cabinet. Amazingly, my 35U is still charging off its original 17 year-old solar panel. When I checked it yesterday, both house and chassis batteries were fully charged after being in outdoor storage for a couple of months. I probably didn't need the additional capacity of the Amp-L-Start over the Trik-L-Start but I bought it anyway, in order to "future proof" my installation.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I installed the tril-l-start next to the boost relay in my 2014 itasca cambria 27k..piece of cake install and now my solar keeps all my batteries charged and ready to go
jimi v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
I find the WHATEVE-R-Start does not work well

I have one and in certain situations, it lets the starter batteries die.

For this situation, rig running, I like a power solenoid that ties them all together
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a 2 amp float charger and hard wired it to the chassis battery. It works flawlessly
Tucsonpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmaz View Post
I purchased a 2005 Journey about a year ago. I have recently discovered while plugged into short power the engine starter batteries do not charge. The house batteries get charged but not the engine starter batteries. This was a surprise when I had been stationary for a couple of months and plugged into shore power, I went to start the rig and the batteries were dead.

I am looking for recommendations for a more "automatic" way to keep them charged when plugged in and came across the AMP-L charger. I have a pulse charger I have been using but I have to plug it in separately. I want to install something that will automatically kick on when plugged into shore power.

Any suggestions, helpful hints, etc. gladly accepted. If anyone also has info on how to install the unit that would be equally helpful.
tg,
As Chris linked, the Trik-L-Start is an addition to the coaches SHORE power battery charging system, starting in late '05 or early '06. The Amp-L-Start is the same exact unit only, it allows for more of a charge to reach your chassis batteries. Once either one is installed CORRECTLY, there is no chance of your chassis battery charging cease, when you're plugged into shore power.

And, as you can read in the link Chris provided and other literature on those two units, NEITHER one is a BATTERY CHARGER!!!!!!!!! All either one of those units do is, siphon off, SOME of the charging voltage/amperage that is intended for your house batteries, and send it to the chassis batteries. It does this by sensing the voltage difference between the two banks of batteries.

On your Journey, in the front of the coach, you have an access door to the top of the generator. Once that door is lifted, you will see a panel right in front of you that houses both the Auxiliary Battery Boost solenoid and, the house battery disconnect solenoid. If you remove that panel cover, that will reveal those two solenoids. The Amp-L-Start or, Trik-L-Start can be installed right in that compartment and the wiring is only a few inches long.

The Trik-L-Start allows a maximum of 5 amps to be siphoned off and steered toward the chassis batteries. The Amp-L-Start allows a maximum of 15 amps to be siphoned off and sent to the chassis batteries. I went with the Amp-L-Start on mine, about 5-6 years ago and that coach has NEVER, EVER failed to start, since that's been installed.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I've used the Amp-L-Start for over a year now, no problems and it works well if you are using lead acid batteries. I have to disable it to keep the starter battery from sucking the lithium batteries down as their resting voltage is higher and the Amp-L-Start thinks they are being charged when they aren't.

I installed it across the battery isolation solenoid (relay) where all the necessary power connections are available. For me, this was inside my entry stairwell and next to my coach batteries.

I really could have used this product a few years ago when we were hosting and parked for long periods of time plugged in. That is when I figured out that the starter battery is not charged while plugged in to shore power. Now, we travel around a lot more, have solar, lithium batteries and inverter; pretty much self sufficient. My issue now is getting the alternator to stop the continuous charging of the lithium batteries while driving, necessary for lead-acid batteries and not all that good for lithium.

Best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I also like the AMP-L Start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2137.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	172573  
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery