Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

This is my first Winne and first motorhome. I bought it used so some of the black bag info is missing. When I had it plugged in at home to my 15amp outlet I was able to see the amount of current I was drawing as I turned things on and off. Now I am at a campground plugged into 50 amp service and there isn't any display showing the amps. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to turn the display on and off? Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 05-22-2006, 03:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This is my first Winne and first motorhome. I bought it used so some of the black bag info is missing. When I had it plugged in at home to my 15amp outlet I was able to see the amount of current I was drawing as I turned things on and off. Now I am at a campground plugged into 50 amp service and there isn't any display showing the amps. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to turn the display on and off? Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dave,

That's normal. You also won't see amps when running your generator. The assumption is that you have enough amps available in those modes that you don't need to monitor them.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

SafeDave: The load meter only works when you are plugged into a 30 amp or lower service. It's used to monitor the amperage draw and shed loads as part of the energy management system to stay within the amount of current available. With everything in the coach running the total draw will be less than 50 amps so no load shedding is done when hooked to a 50 amp service.
Ours has a little light that glows on the panel that tells you what amperage service you're hooked up to. When plugged into a 50 amp service the light next to the 50 amp label should be lit. When plugging into a lower amp service ours always defaults to the 30 amp selection. If you're plugged into a 20 amp or lower service you have to manually push the 20 amp button.
Owners manuals are available for older model coaches. I would suggest you call or write Winnebago to get one. There's a lot of information about the electrical system, leveling system, plumbing, AC, heating, etc. that isn't common knowledge unless you've owned a motorhome before. A lot of the systems are similar to, but not the same as those in your home. Even after 5 years of owning the same coach I still use the manual as a reference.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on an answer, but I didn't count on one this fast. Thanks again.

Dave
Old 05-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomsm:
... You also won't see amps when running your generator. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - we do get a current display for our gen set. Maybe this is a new feature or unique for the S body coach?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I get the display while running my generator also.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Oops!! That's what happens when you operate from memory and don't have any. After consulting the manual, I find that the amps do display when running the genset, but the EMS is disabled. Knew there was something different when the generator was running...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote