Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

All rear turnsignals light on left turn

Where do I start trouble shooting a turn signal problem? When I put on the left turn signal, all the rear lights illuminate. The front is OK. I tried taking out the rear left bulb but no help. Thanks for any tips.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
Where do I start trouble shooting a turn signal problem? When I put on the left turn signal, all the rear lights illuminate. The front is OK. I tried taking out the rear left bulb but no help. Thanks for any tips.
Does it do this when your TOAD is disconnected?
When did the problem start?
What work/wiring has been done if any?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Toad IS NOT attached when this happens. I really don't know how long it has done it. My wife was following me and noticed it. Whenever I would check the lights I only checked the light I wanted to be lit, not the others. My mistake.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The problem could be in the , left rear light socket , OR because the left signal wire for the trailer lights is right next to the park light wire, there could be a problem in the trailer socket wiring , a corrosion problem could be setting up a cross feed.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What happens when the TOAD is plugged in?
Sounds like a bad ground or a short?
Are all the lights brightness the same when this happens, or are the others dimmer?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

All lights seem equally bright. It even does it with another bulb and also without a bulb. How about a diode, would that cause it?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I am thinking that most are wired independently from side to side from each other, What make/model is you Coach and what chassis are you riding on? Might be time to look for a wiring schematic or give a call to the chassis manufacture and see if they can help/guide you......
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It would appear that the left turn conductor is making contact with other conductors ...

I will be helpful to determine where that is happening ...
  • before the fuse block
  • before the lights on the back of the coach
  • after the fuse block before toad connection
  • in or after toad connection

So I suggest you remove left turn fuse and see what happens ... this should tell you whether it is before or after the fuse block

when you have that figured out then remove right turn fuse and see whether the right turn bulb still blinks ...

I think you can gain a lot of insight where your problem is.

It will also be helpful to measure the actual voltage in the sockets of your turn signals.

I once had two wires touching in my toad connector that caused some weird things to happen ... I finally found it with the use of my voltmeter and some coaching from a Winnebago customer service person.

Good Luck ... and let us know how you got rid of the gremlin
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

PORCHDOG, Sounds like the ground for the rear lights has came off. On a Ford chassis the trailer plug and tails lights are separate, on a Workhorse the trailer plug taps off of the tails lights.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hey PORCHDOG fill in your signature with your info so we can better help you.

Now here is another question, is the TOAD electric/light cable plugged in? If so unplug it and try again. This is a good place for shorts due to the constant movement.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Have to agree with grtharris. You most likely have a ground problem.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Agree with a bad ground..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
PORCHDOG, Sounds like the ground for the rear lights has came off. On a Ford chassis the trailer plug and tails lights are separate, on a Workhorse the trailer plug taps off of the tails lights.
Are you sure the lights for the coach and the trailer socket are on seperate circuits on a coach of this age? I know they are on the later models, but I thought the 2001 - 2004 were on the same circuit.

In any case we had a similar problem with our 2001 Adventurer on the Ford chassis. Sometimes when I stepped on the brake all the tail light and turn signals came on. Other times both side turn signals came on when either side was selected. As the problem got worse even the backup camera would come on when I activated a turn signal or stepped on the brakes.

The problem turned out to be water getting into the backside of the trailer socket. Sometimes it would short the tail lights to the directional. Other times it would short the brakes to the backup light circuit, and so on.

I finally had a direction to look when the problems seemed to be aggravated when we plugged in and unplugged the toad wiring harness. I took apart the trailer socket and it was full of corrosion and water. I tried cleaning the contacts, but they were too far gone. I ended up cutting the wires back a few inches, replacing the trailer socket and making sure it was completely sealed. We never had another problem with the lights after that.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #14
Just Trying to Help

The 2007 Ford F53 chassis has two connectors near the rear. These connectors contain signal wires for both the coach and hitch (trailer) lights. Wires for coach and hitch lights appear in both connectors. The ground is in the larger connector (12 pins), and usually connects to the frame with a short wire, ring terminal and a self-tap screw or bolt. The left-hand rear turn signal goes through the smaller, 4-pin connector. There are four wires in that connector:

1 TRAILER RUNNING LAMPS
2 LEFT TURN SIGNAL (ONLY), REAR
3 LEFT TURN W/ BRAKE SIGNAL
4 RIGHT TURN W/ BRAKE SIGNAL

On my coach (separate turn and brake lamps), the last two are not connected to anything.

To carry signals from the connector to the lights, Ford provides pigtails to fit in the two connectors. The coach builder crimps his wires onto the pigtail wires, and runs them to the coach or hitch locations as needed. Some pigtail wires may be left unused.

A recent iRV2 thread involved odd behavior that was eventually traced to someone having driven a screw through the frame and into one of the connectors, causing an intermittent short and blown fuses.

In any case, as others have said it's most likely a problem from the connectors back to the rear, such as

1) a bad ground (at connectors or lights)
2) wires touching within the hitch connector
3) wires touching inside the pigtail bundle

I list these in order of the ease of checking them.

If I had to vote, I'd go with "Hikerdogs" on this one- a problem in the hitch connector.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs , Ford added the trailer circuits in 1994MY and Winnebago started using the wires a couple years later.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Found the problem!

Thanks to everyone for the help. The problem was a bad diode in the toad brake connection. When either turn signal (Brake) bulb is illuminated, voltage goes to a surge switch on the tow bar. If the tow bar has surged forward (being pushed by the toad) then that voltage goes to the brake activator and applies the toad brakes until the surge switch opens. With one diode bad the voltage fed backwards to the other brake light/ turn signal every time the left bulb illuminated. Easy fix, went to Radio Shack and made up a new part with two new diodes.

Tags
light