Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Last week when we were preparing to leave FL the starting batteries were dead. Had to jump the MH to get it started. Even using the MOM switch to connect the house batteries would not even turn over the motor. Further checking revealed all are just worn out. Well, they are all the original batteries so 5 years use is more than acceptable.

I have searched the forum over and found many of you have replaced the house batteries with 6 volt but I can't find any specifics. Did you install 2 or 4 of some type? What brand did you select? Can you provide the battery model numbers? Any photos of your install? How did the 6 volt batteries fit?

The starting batteries are not that much an issue but are there any suggestion for starting batteries?

We have a 2002 Winnebago 39QD. 330 HP CAT.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Last week when we were preparing to leave FL the starting batteries were dead. Had to jump the MH to get it started. Even using the MOM switch to connect the house batteries would not even turn over the motor. Further checking revealed all are just worn out. Well, they are all the original batteries so 5 years use is more than acceptable.

I have searched the forum over and found many of you have replaced the house batteries with 6 volt but I can't find any specifics. Did you install 2 or 4 of some type? What brand did you select? Can you provide the battery model numbers? Any photos of your install? How did the 6 volt batteries fit?

The starting batteries are not that much an issue but are there any suggestion for starting batteries?

We have a 2002 Winnebago 39QD. 330 HP CAT.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bluecrabbie, I think most of the 6V installs have been on gas rigs. I don't think there is any way that 4 6v will fit in the space of the 3 12V. I have heard of the 4 6v replacing the 2 6v but not 3. The dealer installed new batteries when I bought my rig and for the house batteries he used interstate with about 800cca. A lot of folks use Sams Club for batteries and they get the biggest cca available for the house batteries...Good Luck..
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Actually, several folks have replaced the original 3 12V house batteries on Winnebago diesels with 4 6V ones. I've seen two postings with pictures--one used Interstate 2200s(?) and the other Trojan T105s. I think kenbt is one who's done that.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Bluecrabbie, I think most of the 6V installs have been on gas rigs. I don't think there is any way that 4 6v will fit in the space of the 3 12V. I have heard of the 4 6v replacing the 2 6v but not 3. The dealer installed new batteries when I bought my rig and for the house batteries he used interstate with about 800cca. A lot of folks use Sams Club for batteries and they get the biggest cca available for the house batteries...Good Luck.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, Batteries that show a CCA rating (Cold Cranking Amps) are not suitable for house battery use. They are not true deep cycle. Stick with the true deep cycle, either 6 or 12 V.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

He's right about not needing the cca on house batteries..Just goes to show I don't know what I'm talking about...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

bluecrabbie ...

I replaced my house batteries recently (2004 Journey) ... I used 3 Interstate Group 29 12V batteries ...

I wanted to install 4 6V batteries but my tray opening was not TALL enough to install any 6V batteries that I could find ... the footprint for four batteries would fit on the tray ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just installed these Optima Yellow Top batteries in my coach about 3 months ago. I bought them at a Battery Plus and they come with a 2-year complete replacement warranty. They are an AGM battery that is both deep cycle and a starting battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0...tive/deep_cycle.html
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

OPTIMA BATTERIES FOR THE HOUSE BATTERIES IS THE WAY TO GO INTERSTATE HAS THE LATEST FIBERGLASS MAT BATTERIES GELL FILLED YOU CAN INSTALL THEM ON THERE SIDE IVE USED THEM INBOATS FOR YEARS