Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

All 3 Batteries Dead

Hi Folks - I'm still somewhat of a newbie and I have a question concerning my batteries (2 house and 1 chassis) in my 2014 Vista 27N. Found out today that all 3 batteries had died. Must have left a light on or something. Was not plugged into shore power. (I've just moved from Dallas to Deltona and have not had my 30 amp shore plug installed yet). Anyway... I now have the coach plugged to my garage 20 amp wall plug with a pig tail on the cord. I'm pretty sure this will charge my house batteries but will it charge my chassis battery? If it doesn't, can I just jumper the chassis battery to a house battery to get her started and then let it run for a while to charge the chassis battery? Or should I just pull the chassis battery and take it to autozone to get charged? Thanks for any help!! This forum is pretty awesome!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Go to WMT or similar and buy a $5.00 volt meter. Your converter most likely puts out 13.6-14.0 volts. Check both battery banks.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

And the answer is "we don't know". If plugging it in raises the voltage on both battery banks then they will all charge. If the chassis battery voltage does not go up put a separate charger on it then look at some kind of maintainer. Your battery will be happier than having you jump it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

You can jump start your chassis battery just like a car and drive it to Autozone or other parts place and they can check it for you. How long were they dead?
Dead too long and they may not come back. Regardless, they will lose some capacity every time they get discharged completely, Don't forget to charge then once a month over the winter when you don't use the rig. They will self discharge without your help to stay alive.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
And the answer is "we don't know". If plugging it in raises the voltage on both battery banks then they will all charge. If the chassis battery voltage does not go up put a separate charger on it then look at some kind of maintainer. Your battery will be happier than having you jump it.
Thanks. Just thought that maybe someone would know off hand if the Vista was set up to charge both banks. I'll get out there and check battery voltage on both to see if it's charging. (I'm actually in Dallas right now and won't be home to Deltona until Tuesday)
I don't have a charger. Was thinking that if the shore power doesn't charge it, then maybe I'll buy the Trik-L-Charge.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
You can jump start your chassis battery just like a car and drive it to Autozone or other parts place and they can check it for you. How long were they dead?
Dead too long and they may not come back. Regardless, they will lose some capacity every time they get discharged completely, Don't forget to charge then once a month over the winter when you don't use the rig. They will self discharge without your help to stay alive.
I'm going to guess that they might have been dead a day or two. (the last time someone was in the RV). I usually have it plugged into shore power.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
X2, a dead chassis battery would take 6 to 8 hours of highway driving for the alternator to charge the battery.
A battery inter connect system for charging all batteries on shore power costs, so many manufacturers don't install one to save a few$$.

AND I see you were posting while I was typing. Boy I type slow.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
X2, a dead chassis battery would take 6 to 8 hours of highway driving for the alternator to charge the battery.
A battery inter connect system for charging all batteries on shore power costs, so many manufacturers don't install one to save a few$$.

AND I see you were posting while I was typing. Boy I type slow.
So the quickest / cheapest way to get the chassis battery charged would be to pull it out and take it to autozone. They do it for free and have a rapid charging system that they say only takes 30 minutes. And I'll leave the coach batteries to charge on the shore power. Thanks for all of the input!!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

While your at all this checking, be sure to check the water level (distilled water)in the batteries if they are of the flooded variety, otherwise you'll end up cooking them to death in short order.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
While your at all this checking, be sure to check the water level (distilled water)in the batteries if they are of the flooded variety, otherwise you'll end up cooking them to death in short order.
Yes, will do! Thank you.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

TJ311
Your 27N should already have a Trickle-Start installed. My 2013 Itasca Sunstar 27N came from the factory with one.

Tom
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMFEN View Post
TJ311
Your 27N should already have a Trickle-Start installed. My 2013 Itasca Sunstar 27N came from the factory with one.

Tom
That would be awesome if it does. I looked at my specs and did not see that anywhere. Hopefully by the time I get home it'll be charged up. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

In case you have one, here's what they look like .
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
Hi Folks - I'm still somewhat of a newbie and I have a question concerning my batteries (2 house and 1 chassis) in my 2014 Vista 27N. Found out today that all 3 batteries had died. Must have left a light on or something. Was not plugged into shore power. (I've just moved from Dallas to Deltona and have not had my 30 amp shore plug installed yet). Anyway... I now have the coach plugged to my garage 20 amp wall plug with a pig tail on the cord. I'm pretty sure this will charge my house batteries but will it charge my chassis battery? If it doesn't, can I just jumper the chassis battery to a house battery to get her started and then let it run for a while to charge the chassis battery? Or should I just pull the chassis battery and take it to autozone to get charged? Thanks for any help!! This forum is pretty awesome!
TJ-you should have a MOBAC (Modular Battery Control Center) built in from the factory, at least mine does and it's a 2010. Here's the description and specs on it. It charges and takes care of all the batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5301008.000_Battery Control Center.pdf (135.6 KB, 109 views)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Will it charge the chassis battery? By now you should know the answer (if the horn honks the answer is yes).

On a 201anything I would hope they use a bi-directional isolator (This is the kind that charges all batteries no matter the charging source) but of course not all companies do.

If it does not what i would do right now is jumper the solenoid

but if you run a starting battery down that far.. You may need a new battery.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Will it charge the chassis battery? By now you should know the answer (if the horn honks the answer is yes).

On a 201anything I would hope they use a bi-directional isolator (This is the kind that charges all batteries no matter the charging source) but of course not all companies do.

I won't be able to check on it until Tuesday when I get home. And right now there's no one at my house to do it for me.
I went through the owners manual online and in the charging section, it only mentioned the 2 house batteries being charged when connected to shoreline. It didn't say anything about the chassis battery getting charged. If it doesn't charge, then I will definitely invest in a Trik-L-Charge.
I sure hope I don't have to replace the battery. :(
Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

wa8-As far as I can tell, the MOBAC charges both the house batteries and the chassis battery. Here's a wiring diagram for it from the "Complete wiring diagrams book" downloaded for my specific model from the Winnebago resources website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago MOBAC.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	101882  
Old 08-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
wa8-The MOBAC charges both the house batteries and the chassis battery. Here's a wiring diagram for it from the "Complete wiring diagrams book" downloaded for my specific model from the Winnebago resources website.
I have not seen anything like that on my Vista. I assume it would be in the same compartment as the batteries (under the steps). There's nothing like that in the battery compartment. I really don't think my vista has one.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
I have not seen anything like that on my Vista. I assume it would be in the same compartment as the batteries (under the steps). There's nothing like that in the battery compartment. I really don't think my vista has one.
Mine is on the driver's side the very first compartment towards the front. The propane tank is in the lower level and the chassis electronics is in the upper level. The MOBAC is behind the screw off plate that is labeled "Battery Mode Solenoid and Relays". The pics below may help you locate it. After the first cover comes off, then unscrew the two screws in the next cover plate and it is behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_194243.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	101892   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_194311.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	101893  

Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

TJ311, according to the WBGO drawings for your coach you have a Battery Isolation Manager which along with other things will keep both the chassis and the coach batteries charged when connected to shore power.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_183488.pdf

Here is a link to the Battery Isolation Manager relay. Your coach uses the 225 amp unit.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...nager-RevF.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries