Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have found that a small pump up garden sprayer makes it easy to add distilled water to the house batteries without over filling them. I have three batteries in my Horizon and the back one is hard to reach. Just a few pumps for a little pressure and the plastic wand will reach all the cells with no problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have found that a small pump up garden sprayer makes it easy to add distilled water to the house batteries without over filling them. I have three batteries in my Horizon and the back one is hard to reach. Just a few pumps for a little pressure and the plastic wand will reach all the cells with no problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Very good Idea! Ill try it next time I add some Distilled water.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I use a big plastic surenge like they use in the hospital. It was given to me. But I belieave you can get them at any farm supply store. You do not need a needle with it.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I bought a turkey baster (looks like a huge medicine dropper) for a couple of bucks on sale in a grocery store over the holidays. Price was right, works great, and even stores right above the batteries!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The turkey baster sounds good too and is smaller. I carry a 1 gallon garden sprayer with me in the camper at all times. After being over run with ants a few time at campgrounds so I just rinse it out good and put in the distilled water. a dual purpose tool you might say.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

To each his own, but I use the turkey baster, it comes in handy for other things too. Its not expensive and its small..Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I see this on the RV forums a lot about adding water to the batteries. We have had RV's of some sort for over 35 years and I do check the battery water level a couple times a year, but very seldom have to add water. For those that have to add water is your rig plugged into shore power 24/7 when your not camping?? How many plug in only when using the RV and still have to add water??

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After trying a number of things, including the turkey baster, I went to the local auto supply and bought the old standard Plews Battery Filler. (Google on that for both images and descriptions.) It's easy to use and cuts off when each cell is full.

I also tried one of those systems that allows you to fill all of the cells at once from a jug of distilled water. I much prefer the battery filler.

RAS

1998 CR-V
raspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yes our MH is plugged all the time when we are home.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Rvten and others, we also plug in 24/7 when the RV is at home. We have not used our motorhome since the end of July and has been plugged in 24/7. Just checked the batteries this morning, no water needed. I have posted my method of keeping the batteries charged before and have had some tell me if my converter was working correctly I wouldn't have to use the system I do. I can't believe with all the posts I see on all the RV forums about adding water to the batteries, that many RV's have a converter problem. Anyway I use a small inexpensive timer between the shore power and the RV when it's parked at home. I set the timer to come on about 2 hours a day. It keeps the 2 house batteries and the engine battery charged without having to think about adding water. I have had notes from folks that say there batteries were low on water after only a month and since they have gone to a timer maybe once a year they need a little water. For me a $5 15 amp timer is better than having to add water all the time, especially in the winter.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

My motorhome is plugged in any time 110v is available and when on the road many times I run the generator.

I added water, for the first time, 11 months after buying the coach and all has been well since. I don't espect to add water again until late next summer.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I use a water bottle with the "sports" type cap on it. This is the kind that either pops up or you can twist it (Propel water)to open. I have found that if you fill the bottle completely, open the cap and then turn the bottle upside down you will get little or no dripping and you can squeeze the bottle for a very accurate water level. Be careful not to squeeze the bottle when the cap is open and the bottle is inverted because you will have water where you don't want it. The 24 oz. bottles should allow you to fill a 12 volt battery.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I added water, for the first time, 11 months after buying the coach and all has been well since. I don't espect to add water again until late next summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, Check that at the door. I know you're in your rig full time for the time being so you should check your batteries every 2 to 3 weeks believe me those batteries will use lots of water.

One more important tip for the gang, don't forget to only use distilled water.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> One more important tip for the gang, don't forget to only use distilled water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's an even more important tip. ALWAYS wear safety glasses (googles are even safer) when working with your batteries. I saw one explode once doing a jump start and it was not a pretty sight. Luckily there was a sink close by. I don't have to mention what sulfuric acid will do one's eyes.

Tom
37 year chemist, retired
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I added water, for the first time, 11 months after buying the coach and all has been well since. I don't espect to add water again until late next summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, Check that at the door. I know you're in your rig full time for the time being so you should check your batteries every 2 to 3 weeks believe me those batteries will use lots of water.

One more important tip for the gang, don't forget to only use distilled water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess where you are has a bit to do with this. When I lived in Northern Massachusetts it was twice a year however now that I am in Tampa Bay Florida it has to be checked much more regularly or you will be facing an early loss. The Southern climate will eat your batteries if you are not on top of things.

I just bought my 95 Vectra about a month ago and had to replace both 1 year old batteries. The plates were exposed on the first 2 negative side cells and they had started to sulfate from just sitting in the heat on the Florida consignment lot. The coach had not been in service for the better part of the year and had not been plugged in. Out with the two 24D and in with two new 31D. Just squeezed them in the box which was a little tight on the length but had plenty of height. They will be checked every two weeks at first and then hopefully a less frequent schedule can be worked out based on local conditions.

A new battery bulb is on the shopping list and will be used for now.

Regards,

Neil
Old 01-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I've lived in mine full time for more than two years and it's had 50 amp service for about 22 of the last 26 months. And in response to other posts...the fridge and water heater are on constantly and I have never turned the water off when I leave...even when gone for several days!! Maybe I've just been lucky!

Anyway, I have to top off the batteries about every four months. The biggest problem is keeping the corrision at bay!!! I'm getting a corrision build up under the slide out tray. Most of the corrision is around the bolts securing the battery slide tray to the compartment floor.

I've used a soda/water mix, bought various sprays, scrubbed and repainted the surfaces... coated the surfaces with various sealants, including grease...and the corrision continues!! Any suggestions???
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Try good ol fashion baking soda. Sounds like there is a residue of battery acid in the metal. Somehow it has to be neutralized. the baking soda works for me. Good luck.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Use stainless steel.

Tom
Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Eastwood Co. sells a nice kit with battery mats and rubber coating.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.j...DUCT&iProductID=1382
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote