Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

AC quit working

Chassis AC quit working on our 2014 Forza 38R no power going to the high-pressure switch I do not have gauges to see if it needs Freon I also check for power at the chassis AC compressor there is no power going to it as anybody else had this problem and what was the fix I do have a appointment to take it to Freightliner to have it checked out but I was just curious if anybody else has had problems with their chassis AC
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It most likely also has a low pressure switch that prevents the compressor running when refrigerant is low. If you jumper that switch, the compressor should run. (just test, don't use it, the switch protects the compressor from damage)

If that checks out and it still doesn't run, then it could be a bad relay. The relay is triggered by the dash temperature control and usually also runs the cooling fans on the condenser coil.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My husband has already tried that and the compressor still does not kick in he is looking for the relays and not sure where they are Winnebago has sent us a wiring diagram he looking at it now to try and figure out where the relay are
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Found the problem on the chassis AC now I don't have to take it in for service work it cost me $18.88 to fix the problem
Old 08-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
Found the problem on the chassis AC now I don't have to take it in for service work it cost me $18.88 to fix the problem
Please post what it was. It might help someone else out
Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Ac quit working

If people took the time to try to help you it would be nice if you shared with them the fix. That is how we all learn. Rkl
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

OK OK I was just waiting to see if anybody was really paying attention to this post. Here's the deal, after spending a whole day testing out and checking things this is what I found. The AC chassis thermostat was bad. I could not figure out why as there was no power going back to the AC compressor or the high-pressure switch so I started looking around for other relays or switches that may be bad. All checked out OK, went to the thermostat that's mounted on the black box on the front of the coach is where the heater core and evaporator is located in the upper left-hand corner. I had power on one side but no power on the other side. There are two wires on the thermostat, one's blue and one's yellow. The blue wire has power but no power to the yellow. There should be power going to both wires all the time when the ignition switch is turned on. Pull those two wires off and use a jumper wire for this test. With the coach off turn the ignition key on with the AC on normal, go out to the front of your coach. Pull those two wires off and check the blue wire with a test light for power. There should be power on the blue wire. Now jump that to the yellow wire. If the chassis condenser electric fan kicks on, you know you have a bad thermostat. To confirm the thermostat is really bad, put the two wires back on the thermostat and use a test light to the yellow wire. No power means the thermostat is bad. Here's a picture of the thermostat. Make sure when you remove the thermostat, pull it straight out and you will see the coil and where it is pushed into the evaporator. You have to measure the distance on the coil from the old one to the new one.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	136918  
Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Got my thermostat switch from an APA today installed it this morning everything works fine now here is a pic of the box that it came in
Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Pic
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	212
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	137094  
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

One more pic
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	162
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	137187  
Old 09-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

My A/C just quit as well. The blower also would only work on high. Will have to investigate. Also have had since purchase in cold weather the blower quits intermittenly. Have had back to dealer several times and to the manufacturer. No fix. Both say it needs to be acting up when in there hands to diagnose.
Reality96 is offline   Reply With Quote