Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I cannot get any power from the outlet that is on the passenger side to the right of the seat. All of the other outlets work. Is there anything special about this outlet?

Thanks, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I cannot get any power from the outlet that is on the passenger side to the right of the seat. All of the other outlets work. Is there anything special about this outlet?

Thanks, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the GFI button on that circuit.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You might check to see if that outlet is supplied by the inverter.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Mooneypaul,

If your outlet had been working, the first thing that I would check is the GFI and all of the 120 volt circuit breakers as was previously suggested.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you might want to remove the outlet from the wall and check the wires connected to the back. This outlet uses "push in" connecters, and they have been known to come out.

By the way, the mounting screws are quarter or half turn latches.

Needless to say, make sure that you have shut off the generator, inverter, and the land line.

Good Luck

Merry Christmas

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

here is a link to site with wiring diagrams. just click on your info (year,make,model) Not sure if this helps. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There does not appear to be a GFI button on that individual outlet. I will check the other outlets to see if any others have a GFI. But, I think all of the others are working.

I will also disconnect the shore power and see if it works on the inverter. Have you guys seen outlets that "only" work on the inverter?

Thanks for the suggetions.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On our's there is 2 gfi outlets that control all the ourlets in the RV, one on each side. On the passenger side the gfi is mounted in the kitchen sink base cabinet and it controls all the outlets on the passenger side and on the drivers side the gfi is mounted near and below the systems monitoring panel and controls all the outlets on the drivers side. So if the gfi at the kitchen sink cabinet is tripped none of the outlets on the passenger side will work (including none in bedroom on that side) but the drivers side outlets will work. It took me some head scratching one morning while wishing I could make a cup of coffee to figure that out!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

With ALL power off, when you check the offending outlet and if you find that it's wires are all secure, trace back using the wiring diagram to the previous outlet where the power to the offending outlet is fed from. You may find a loose connection there, feeding this outlet.

Always use a circuit tester to be sure that the power is off to all the outlets before working on them.

Good luck and be careful!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Check the inverter it may have a GFI on it, as mine has, and trips sometimes when hooking up power. I have two outlets that work off inverter one under dash pass side and one for TV in cabinet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
LR
Winnebago Camper

My 2005 Adventurer 38j has a GFI on the face of the inverter located in the front upper cabinet. It controls the the 110v outlets on the front passenger side entertainment center.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well it turns out that all of the outlets on the Pass side are inop except the TV,etc. I looked at the wiring diagram and can only see the 2 GFI's that are in the galley. I checked all of the fuses and breakers. There is one outlet in the upper cabinet on the pass side that powers the Dome (recently installed) and it works. Perhaps CW messed up something. The 38 J has the TV in the pass side slide and it still works.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Moonbeypaul, are you sure that you don't have a GFI at or near your bathroom sink. Most have it as its an easy place to cross elec.razor, hair dryer etc) with water in the sink...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Did you test & reset the GFIs on the passenger side?

I had a GFI switch (test/reset) fail on me and factory replaced the entire outlet plate. It was the GFI outlet in the bathroom.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I checked out a few of the diagrams on the winnebago site and thought this one might help the most. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_153789.pdf If you can figure out which devices in the circuit work and which ones don't, you might be able to zero in on the problem. If I understand the problem correctly the outlet you are having a problem with is the one labled rcp-2 sidewall front. This is connected to the purple breaker in the load center. Each device will feed power along to the next one in the circuit. If one has a poor connection, all the devices after that one will not work. I am not an electrician so can't help anymore than that. PS make sure power is off (including inverter) when checking for loose connections. If you have a tester to check the wires for power before touching / this would be best.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

LR:

In the top right cabinet on the 38J there is a box with nothing external. Is the inverter in there?

Also, in the wiring diagram there only shows 2 GFI's that I can see. If the GFI on the inverter was open the inverter would not be able to supply power, correct?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, in the wiring diagram there only shows 2 GFI's that I can see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mooneypaul.. Are you CERTAIN there is not a GFI at the receptical near your bathroom hand basin?. Every RV AND stick house I have been in for the last several years has had one there. In my Bago, 04 33V, it's the one that the hair drier is plugged into.. Part of the National Electric Code. Any recep that close to H2O is supposed to be supplied thru a GFI...rgr...
Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #18
LR
Winnebago Camper

Mooneypaul,

Yes, to my knowledge the inverter is located behind the panel located in the front cabinet located on the right passenger side.
I have two GFI's in my 2005 Adventurer 38J. One on the inverter panel and one on the cabinet next to the kitchen sink. I do not know if the GFI on the inverter panel controls the the inverter.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well, as a friend tells me.. "It aint what ya know, but what ya think ya know, that isn't so, that will get you in trouble..".. In this case, I thought there was a GFI on the hand basin outlet, BUT, as you guys know, there ISN'T!.. Guess I just never paid enough attention to see that the unit is actually on the hair drier cord. I aplogize for any miss direction I sent your way.. My bad, for sure...rgr...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
doc
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guess I just never paid enough attention to see that the unit is actually on the hair drier cord. I aplogize for any miss direction I sent your way.. My bad, for sure...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope you are not wrong. Our Horizon has the GFI in the receptacle at the hand basin in the bathroom and it controls a couple of other receptacles up front. There IS a GFI on the plug portion of the dryer as well. (Now our coach is an '00 so there may be a change on newer models.) I managed to trip one up front at one time and had a heck of a time figuring out why there was no breaker tripped and I still had no power. Started checking back and there is were the problem was.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote