Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Bob and Mary Hatch, great website.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

hollycowitsbig,

I don't understand why but the directions on my little charger said not to use the cigarette lighter adapter for extended periods of time. It sure would be an easy way to keep the battery topped off.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

smlranger - yes - last compartment on the drivers side. Block heater is a seperate cord.

That plug is energized from the inside of the MH - mine is right above the information panel and is marked "Block Heater" it's a regular 100v on/off switch - right next to it is the elect hot water heater 110v on/off switch.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I'm not using a Battery Minder but rather a 2-6-10 volt smart charger and I'm thinking of doing exactly what you described so I can easily turn it off and on or just leave it on as it goes to float mode after the batteries have been charged. If I do this I will paste a sign on the dash to make darn good and sure I remove it as the first item when getting set to leave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El Jeffe:
Don't know how your rig is set-up, but on our Journey DL we unplug the engine block heater from the plug (this plug is turned on/off from inside the coach) and plug in the battery minder in it's place and turn on the switch as if it's an engine block heater. The cord is inside the coach.

Reverse the process when you want engine block heater.

Be sure to unplug and disconnect the battery minder before starting and traveling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

I check the fluids on my coach batteries twice a month on the 1st and the 15th.

After using the Battery Minder since the beginning of February, I have just noticed where the "Green Eye" on my Delco battery has just come back. It's been black since the beginning of January when I left Connecticut.

Although it doesn't mean much in the relative scheme of things, the Battery Minder restored the full charge condition of my automotive battery. My current metered battery voltage on the "One Place" is 13.1 volts. I am very pleased that the BM is working as I expected (or hoped) it would.

Now about plugging in and powering up the BM, I ran a separate cord back to the power pedestal and plugged it into the 20Amp GFI circuit. I carry 2 - 20A cords a 25 and a 50 footer both in safety yellow and using #12 gauge wire.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I believe the cigaratte lighter voltage comes from the coach batteries not the engine batteries. I had thought of this when I bought my charger with cigarette lighter adapter. I can't remember how I proved that! I think it was checking the voltage, knowing my coach batteries were charging & the engine voltage was 12.7. Like I said, I could be wrong!