Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

ac access

I have a 2001 adventurer and am trying to figure out how to access the basement ac to charge it. Anybody know how to access it?
the57man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

As I recall from an AC issue I had several years ago, the electrical components of the system (relays, capacitors) are accessible by lifting the outside panel of the motothome. The fan and compressors are only accessible by removing the unit from the coach. There are several threads on removal. As I recall the removal was not that difficult but time consuming and required two sets of hands.

What makes you think you need to recharge? The compressor amp draw checked from the electrical wireing to the compressors by an experienced technician can determine if the freon charge is sufficient.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
As I recall from an AC issue I had several years ago, the electrical components of the system (relays, capacitors) are accessible by lifting the outside panel of the motothome. The fan and compressors are only accessible by removing the unit from the coach. There are several threads on removal. As I recall the removal was not that difficult but time consuming and required two sets of hands.

What makes you think you need to recharge? The compressor amp draw checked from the electrical wireing to the compressors by an experienced technician can determine if the freon charge is sufficient.
Does this model have two compressors? Its a 32 foot adventurer with basement heat/ac. I ran it over this past weekend and it took forever to cool down the coach. It was about 94 outside and after an hour at least it was still 89. It did eventually get cooler but it was also cooler outside. The amp draw omn my panel in the coach was about 16 amps. I was plugged into a 30a service.
the57man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

When both compressors are running you should see more like 22-26 amps. In that you are only seeing 16 amps it sounds like your #2 compressor is not running. Pull the electrical component cover on the left side of the unit. With the cover removed look at the capacitors and at the compressor relays at the top right. The second one down is the #2 relay.
To check freon charge you would first have to tap in test ports as the unit does not have a means to recharge or test freon otherwise.
If you've never pulled the unit it may just be time to get it done as the evaporator coil most likely needs cleaning and the bearings should be oiled.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by the57man View Post
I have a 2001 adventurer and am trying to figure out how to access the basement ac to charge it. Anybody know how to access it?
Please be aware that the systems are "sealed" and therefore don't have any service ports to allow easy re-charging IF needed. If you do need to add Freon, then you will need to install "saddle valves", or solder service ports into each system. I was told recently by WBGO that any service ports added should be crimped off and removed after use, because leaving them installed can lead to leaks.

Hopefully, your recent poor performance was related to being on the 30 Amp service, or a tripped breaker for comp #2.

Removing the unit and adding parts plus recharging can get expensive.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The units are sealed or hermetic and do not have ports to charge them. Getting the ports installed and charged is an expensive proposition best left for an expert.

95% of the problems with RV A/C units are related to air flow, dirty filters or dirty evapoarator coil.

Ken
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Get a thermometer and check the difference in temperature between the cold air outlet and the return air location. Should be about 20 degrees difference. At least this is what I have read on this forum.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the57man View Post
Does this model have two compressors? Its a 32 foot adventurer with basement heat/ac. I ran it over this past weekend and it took forever to cool down the coach. It was about 94 outside and after an hour at least it was still 89. It did eventually get cooler but it was also cooler outside. The amp draw omn my panel in the coach was about 16 amps. I was plugged into a 30a service.
did you reset both cicuit breakers. did you try running the generator? also back to your first post there are 2 screws on the bottom of the panel that you have to remove. look at all of the wires when you remove the electrical cover. sometimes the wires overheat and just burn in two. I replaced mine with high temp wire.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Be sure to check the ducting. It's easy to see and reach up to feel if you have any leaks in the first connection. If you feel cold air coming out of that source, it's possible to clean the joint and re-apply ducting tape. I found some ducting tape at the local hardware store. It's not the traditional duct tape, but has an aluminum backing with heavier adhesive. Good stuff.

If you look around the bottom and side, you can see if the condenser is clogged. It can be cleaned without removing the unit.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Is your coach a 30 amp or a 50 amp system? If it is a 30 amp system the wiring for the #2 compress goes through the transfer switch. Could be a problem there.
As said above what does it do with the generator running?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote