Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

A/C Start-up

I just noticed that when my A/C comes on hooked up to 30 amp service, it will start, run for about 30 seconds, shut off and then start again. Is that normal?
Guess I just never paid any attention to it before.
We are not in a 50 amp park now so I can't check that out without starting the genset
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yep, that's normal. The power is sequenced to reduce peak amps.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We own a 2006 Voyage J38. We have had the exact same problem you are describing, whether on 30 amp., 50 amp. or generator, when the weather is hot or temperate, in high altitude or low altitude. It runs three minutes and then shuts down. Then it restarts again and this goes on over and over. If we shut off #2 compressor, #1 will run okay. In 2008 Winnebago replaced the start capacitors on the compressors. We didn't notice this problem again until 2010. We went to Cummins in Denver where the rv tech checked everything. All was good and the a/c ran perfectly. Three weeks ago we started out again and the same problem happened after a day on the road. We returned home. The a/c has run perfectly since returning. The biggest problem is that it runs perfectly and then it doesn't. Hard to fix something that runs okay at the shop. After talking to techs and reading many rv blogs I have decided to change the start capacitors, run capacitors and circuit board hoping that whatever causes this problem will be fixed. Any other suggestions or experiences of this kind would be welcomed.
virgil shus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like low voltage.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We have a voltage meter and we haven't had below 114. The generator is around 122 volts. A/C runs approximately 17 volts with both compressors running (rv is stationary so there is nothing else running, i.e. refrigerator). New management system was replaced in 2008, as well as inverter and converter.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil shus View Post
We have a voltage meter and we haven't had below 114. The generator is around 122 volts. A/C runs approximately 17 volts with both compressors running (rv is stationary so there is nothing else running, i.e. refrigerator). New management system was replaced in 2008, as well as inverter and converter.
I think you meant ta.o say 17 AMPS. Typically when both compressors are running the amperage is closer to 23 amps. The #1 compressor alone is about 17 amps. How do you KNOW both compressors are running? A way to prove it is to turn the #2 compressor circuit breaker off and then see how many amps you are using. My guess is that #2 is not running.
If you actually did mean to say 17 VOLTS then you have reduced the running voltage to either 97 oon shore and 105 on gen......either voltage is too low to be running your A/C without damaging it.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
AM

I think you meant ta.o say 17 AMPS. Typically when both compressors are running the amperage is closer to 23 amps. The #1 compressor alone is about 17 amps. How do you KNOW both compressors are running? A way to prove it is to turn the #2 compressor circuit breaker off and then see how many amps you are using. My guess is that #2 is not running.
If you actually did mean to say 17 VOLTS then you have reduced the running voltage to either 97 oon shore and 105 on gen......either voltage is too low to be running your A/C without damaging it.
Yup #1, 17amps #1&2 23amps
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

A/C start up

Sorry, it should be 17 amps. No. 1 compressor comes on at 10 amps and #2 compressor comes on and goes to 18 amps. When we turn on the a/c at home the amp gauge is reading zero because nothing else is running. The difference between the rear air supply and the filter return air is 20 degrees using a regular a/c temperature probe. A/C manual suggests the amp. should be 8.9 rla for each compressor. We have shut off #2 and amps drop to 10. It runs on #1 fine and most times #2 runs fine. When we experience the problem #2 shuts off #1 and we have no a/c. Then we have to shut down #2 and #1 stays on and runs okay. Right now both compressors are running fine. Can't understand how you can have low voltage when using the generator. Voltage from the generator with the a/c on is usually around 120 plus volts. We have unplugged from shore power when this was happening and tried the generator and it still occurred. Seems to occur more often in hot weather but it has occurred in cooler weather too. This also occurs when we use the a/c while traveling with the generator running.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil shus View Post
Sorry, it should be 17 amps. No. 1 compressor comes on at 10 amps and #2 compressor comes on and goes to 18 amps. When we turn on the a/c at home the amp gauge is reading zero because nothing else is running. The difference between the rear air supply and the filter return air is 20 degrees using a regular a/c temperature probe. A/C manual suggests the amp. should be 8.9 rla for each compressor. We have shut off #2 and amps drop to 10. It runs on #1 fine and most times #2 runs fine. When we experience the problem #2 shuts off #1 and we have no a/c. Then we have to shut down #2 and #1 stays on and runs okay. Right now both compressors are running fine. Can't understand how you can have low voltage when using the generator. Voltage from the generator with the a/c on is usually around 120 plus volts. We have unplugged from shore power when this was happening and tried the generator and it still occurred. Seems to occur more often in hot weather but it has occurred in cooler weather too. This also occurs when we use the a/c while traveling with the generator running.
You may be experiencing low freon. You will have these low amp draws when you have had a loss of freon due to a leak.
I experience the same thing as you. I took mine to an authorreized repair center and the found a leak on the #1 compressor side. Patched,and refilled with freon and my amp draw again went to normal 17 to 24 and my air differential betqween the vents and return grill jumped from 20 to above 30.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote