Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

89 Chieftain generator/power issue.

I just had the generator serviced on the motorhome. Runs great, starts right up. The issue is that it isn't sending power anywhere inside. I plugged in the shoreline and the outlets all work, the roof ac unit runs. I shut down the shoreline and run the genny and I get nothing. The fuse on the onan is good. The ac switch is on. All breakers are on and fine. I'm lost at where to turn to now. Please shed some light in a new direction for me on this issue.
I can't seem to find the converter unit on this model. It apparently sits in the compartment driver side by floor riser and I'm unsure what/where that means exactly.
Thanks!!
bayzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have you determined if the Jenny is really generating power? Check the voltage on the output cables if you haven't. You mentioned breakers, as you may know, there are two on the side of the Onan............just sayin.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm unsure how to check the output cables for voltage. I do know that in the junction box in the genny compartment does have current running thru it. I do not see any breakers on the side of the generator. I only see a fuse on the front which is a smaller glass tube style fuse.
I am only familiar with the breaker box above the back bed, and the fuse panel in the closet between fridge and bathroom. I'm not 100 percent on the vehicle and this is my first motorhome.camper ever, it's very new to me, so please feel free to speak like I know nothing, I won't take offense. (in response to wording the breakers on the onan) I am basic/moderately inclined with mechanics and basic with electronics though
Old 07-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Regardless of model, it has been my experience the there is always an external breaker located on the jenny itself. It mat not be on the side, mine are but I would bet they or it is there. The little glass fuse you found is most likely a five amp which is used to protect the circuit board.

Take another real close look for those breakers.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just looked at the side of the generator. I see what you mean by breaker switch. I wasn't aware that's what it was upon first glance but I have turned the breaker both ways and tried it. I only have one breaker on the unit, the second slot is blocked off(not being used).
The breaker says on in one direction off in the other. If it is turned to the side where I can read on, that means it is good, correct. And in the direction where I could read "off" on the switch it would mean it is tripped, or not supplying power.
I appreciate your help so far also, so thank you.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Your on the right track! Start the jenny, flip the breaker one way, enter the coach and turn on the AC. It will take a moment but, if the breaker is in the correct position the jenny will lose RPM and the AC will start. If not, flip the breaker the other way and do it again. There is a delay so wait a few moments.

Something just occurred to me. On some older units, you have to actually plug in the cord from the Jenny into the socket from the shore power. Maybe thats it.............
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I did try earlier with the breaker option but I didn't give it much time to kick on. I will have more patience with that and report back.
.... On some older units, you have to actually plug in the cord from the Jenny into the socket from the shore power. Maybe thats it.............
I don't understand what you mean fully with that statement. Could you explain in any other way to help please? I don't know where a cord is coming off the jenny at off hand.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

So I don't know how to thank you enough. I just figure out what you meant by using the shoreline and plugging it into the plug located in the same compartment. I did that, turned on the ac unit and started right up. You could not even imagine how happy you have made me with this! AFter spending a couple days cleaning and fixing the generator this is the not what I expected to run into.
But thanks to you it was a rather quick resolution, (of course after spending hours reading the books and trying to do it myself)
I hope you have a great day as well and thanks. On to my next issue which will be a new forum thread soon!

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'll try. The shore power cord is sometimes wired directly to the power distribution box (Where the 12 volt fuses and coach breakers are located). As said, on some units in the area where the power cord is stored there is a socket into which the shore power cord is plugged in when using the jenny. This socket leads to the output circuit on the jenny.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We were typing at the same time..lol. Glad to be of help, happy trails.