Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

6volt vs 12volt

Which is battery configuration is better and why, 2 X 12Votls is parallel or 2 X 6volts in series?
Old 09-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I prefer twp six volt in series. A touch more amps and true deep cell batteries.

For a bit better of an explanation - https://youtu.be/tGNMenyNqwU
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Electric golf carts have been using 6 volt batteries for ever.

They depend on them lasting a long time with hard use.

That's good enough for me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Electric golf carts have been using 6 volt batteries for ever.

They depend on them lasting a long time with hard use.

That's good enough for me.
Plus they are plentiful which makes them easy to find and cheaper. I have 4 8D 12 volt batteries, the cheapest price on LifeLine AGM's I can find is $500 EACH. And I have to have them shipped in from Texas to get that price.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It's all about how many amp-hours you can get in the space available and for how much you want to spend. The other consideration is that the batteries should be true deep cycle.
Most "marine deep cycle" 12 volt batteries are not a true deep cycle but rather a hybrid between a starting and deep cycle. They will not last as long when used as a house battery as that of a true deep cycle. True deep cycle 12 volt batteries are available but are typically more expensive per amp-hr than two 6 volt.
Have I confused you yet?
Most of the time you are better off using sets of two 6 volt batteries. Example: four 6 volt series-parellel will give you more amp-hrs than two 12 volt in parellel for the same price.
Now as far as which 6 volt deep cycle batteries to us is anothe discussion.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The first questions should be: how much dry-camping will you do in one streak?
If you seldom dry-camp go with 12V batteries and you don't have to spend a lot of money having cables fabricated for multiple 6V batteries, Which BTW each weighs as much as a 12V battery, you already have the needed cables.
I have 3-12V house batteries, they performed well when we dry-camped at the Navy base in Key West for 3 weeks. I ran the genset for 2 hrs. every evening to re-charge small electronics, house batteries, watch TV, cook dinner, etc.
Used the inverter to make coffee each morning, run microwave to re-heat breakfast made the previous evening; ran roof fans all day from battery power.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have four size 30, 12 volt AGM coach batteries backed up by 300 watts of solar charging. I run the generator occasionally only to power microwave and toaster. We sometimes watch a 22" TV all day long and never run out of power. I purchased the batteries on sale from Cabela's for under $200 each. If one of my batteries fails, I can jumper it out in a matter of minutes and still have adequate power with three good batteries. I have seen one of two 6 volt batteries fail and the coach is out of power. I really do not understand why I have never heard anyone discuss this as an issue.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

In our 2004 Vectra, we had two 6-volt Trojan T-105's that were original to the coach! Replaced them with four, and the dealer supplied the short cables to connect, and threw in one of those 'handles' to lift them. 630 bucks total, not cheap, but well worth it. And, we haven't even boondocked once. But, it is in our future plans.
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

When I looked at the 2017 model Canyon Star, I noticed they used two 12 volt batteries, and mounted them behind the hood and slightly lower than the chassis battery. I have long thought the six volt batteries were better, but it seems Newmar thinks otherwise. I still find the mounting location strange.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
When I looked at the 2017 model Canyon Star, I noticed they used two 12 volt batteries, and mounted them behind the hood and slightly lower than the chassis battery. I have long thought the six volt batteries were better, but it seems Newmar thinks otherwise. I still find the mounting location strange.
Newmar can think that if they want. Most owners won't have any issue until the warranty is all gone.
Newmar probably supplies some coaches with single, ergo they have those in stock. As they are not true deep cycle, they are probably 1$ cheaper than a GC2. And, you get the added value of less capacity. Lead/acid batteries do not play nicely when in parallel. You will not be able to get AH*2. You might get 1.75, but don't count on much better than 1.5.
Plus, with 2ea 6V jars in parallel, there is very little likelihood of a battery explosion. My little brother did boat work before the depression and always has stories of the money he made on those cleanups....
Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Our Bay Star also has the batteries under hood as you describe. I am quite happy with this location, much easier access than under the steps IMHO. It's handy to have all three batteries in the same location for servicing.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Why is it we always get onto a diatribe on what I have verses what the OP asked. He said TWO batteries, not 6 with solar or whatever.
For most either 6 or 12 volt will work, having two batteries if one 6 volt goes out you are dead, with two 12volts you are inhibited but not dead. Just because golf carts run 6 volt does not make them better, grandpa carved his teeth so you should too. Now let's all sit on our yoga mat and chant 6 volt, 6 volt, 6 volt, 12 volt DEEP CYCLE are here and it many cases are better for some people's needs. Cost wise 12 volts are a bit higher, but in my case I can put two of the Trogan 12 volts true deep cycle in and have a touch more amp hours.

LEN
Old 09-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfbundy View Post
I have seen one of two 6 volt batteries fail and the coach is out of power. I really do not understand why I have never heard anyone discuss this as an issue.
It has been, you must have missed it but most people didn't seem to have a concern so it kind of went away.
I have 4 - 8D 12 V batteries and space for two more which I may add now that I'm removing the only propane (two burner cooktop) and replacing it with an induction unit.
Already have 400 watts solar so I'm not sure I need an add'l 200 amp hours (50% draw down), guess I'll find out.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
Which is battery configuration is better and why, 2 X 12Votls is parallel or 2 X 6volts in series?
12 volt deep cycle batteries are worthless. Just believe experience count over all other discussion. See my blog. 6 volt deep cycle is the best experience ever as well as a progressive battery charging ckt.

If you don't want to believe then buy the 12 v dc "deep cycle" then you will be a believer in the 6 volt.

Nuff said - this has been going on for 20 years.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

You've never had 8D 12 volt AGM's have you?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

So interesting to see some of these posts!
Cell material the same between 6V and 12V batteries configured for 12V use would be "best" selected as a single manufactured unit because the likelyhood for maintaining cell balance for the life of the battery is higher. Two 6V is a compromise due to their comparatively low cost.

Ideally you'd have just one battery with cells sized for the end capacity you need. If you use series connected cells/batteries, replace all cells in that series. Cells/batteries in parallel "should" match however slight differences are more tolerated also note that the weakest cell or battery in the parallel chain is what you net.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Going from actual experience, I have to add a +1 to what Mr. D said. I have 2 deep cycle 12 volt AGM batteries that I just checked the dates on, which is April, 2012.

We "boondock" on the parking lot during college games, and we always make a weekend of it. Arriving on Friday, departing on Sunday morning. These AGMs have never let us down, and still putting out as much power as when they were brand new. I am more than a little fanatical about the care I take of them, but I'm a happy camper with my 12 volt AGMs. Got them on sale at Sears of all places. I'm not sure if they even sell them anymore, but it was a nice deal.

They run 2 TV's and DirecTV receivers all weekend, and a couple of fans. We only run the generator to run the AC if it is really hot, and usually when we have to leave the dog in the coach while we actually attend the game.

I'd be tempted to try lithium if they weren't sooooo much more per amp/hour. But you can get away with depleting them much more without damaging them. I'm hoping the price eventually comes down some.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I agree on the AGM, which I have used for over 11 years both in my yacht and MH. BUT - I also tried 12 volt "deep cycle" and they FAILED in both places. Once I went to real deep cycle 6 volt set up I was more than happy. In the boat we had a heart inverter/charger with 6 volts - after the 12 volts literally burned up do to bad cells and the same thing happened in the MH. 6 volt last and are low cost. My AGM's are still going strong too. They were in my boat for 4 years and then transferred to my MH since 2010 so we are looking at 10 years of great service as a starting battery. It is unfortunate that they no longer make this exact battery.

I was in boating for over 30 years and saw plenty of 8D's go bad. They are great for starting large diesels found in big boats but needed a gorilla to change them.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
12 volt deep cycle batteries are worthless. Just believe experience count over all other discussion. See my blog. 6 volt deep cycle is the best experience ever as well as a progressive battery charging ckt.

If you don't want to believe then buy the 12 v dc "deep cycle" then you will be a believer in the 6 volt.

Nuff said - this has been going on for 20 years.
Is that true for the Trojan 12V deep cycle battery too?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Is that true for the Trojan 12V deep cycle battery too?
I can only tell you that my cousin had them in his winnebago and swore they were great with the capture caps etc. But then one day one cell went down and took the rest down. He had to put another 12v in it's place do to space constraints. He would have like to go to 6v as he knows my 30 history with both types.

I have 6 volt systems for the house and only have to water them about every 6 months. Over the 30 some years of using them on boats and MH I prefer them over more costly batteries. I do like my very old AGM starting batteries however. They were $289 each 10 years ago. I don't think much of them for a house battery though. I sure don't want to spend $600 for an 8d agm and I could not move them if I had too. I don't boon-dock except a Walmart.

different folks have varying needs. they should by what they need and bigger is not always better.