Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

40 ft. Ultimate Freedom - 2003 KD

1. checked cord with meter (both ends good)

2. check service - good

3. get 30 amps only

4. inverter works

5. batteries good

6. start generator - no 50 amp -- power meter does not register

7. So, - no 50 amp from shore line, no 50 amp from generator

8. check fuses and buttons on power pack by batteries -- everything looks good

9. pulled telephone type wire plug off back of control panel(sometimes in the past have had to do this to reset) -- nothing

10. Your thoughts please!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

40 ft. Ultimate Freedom - 2003 KD

1. checked cord with meter (both ends good)

2. check service - good

3. get 30 amps only

4. inverter works

5. batteries good

6. start generator - no 50 amp -- power meter does not register

7. So, - no 50 amp from shore line, no 50 amp from generator

8. check fuses and buttons on power pack by batteries -- everything looks good

9. pulled telephone type wire plug off back of control panel(sometimes in the past have had to do this to reset) -- nothing

10. Your thoughts please!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wow! You didn't say if you had 50 amp at the output of the transfer switch. If you have 50A from both shore and generator at the input of the xfr switch and none on the output, you have your answer, at least part of it.

If you have 50 on the output of the switch and none at the load control panel, then there is either a tripped breaker in the panel or a broken connection between the xfr switch and the load control panel. Measure the breaker on both input and output sides to prove whether you have power to the control panel.

If you have 50A on the output of the breaker, then you probably have a problem with the EMS.
My EMS shows amperage only with shore power, not generator.

Good luck.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't know what you mean by transfer switch - where is this? The system has been automatic up to this point -- switching back and forth from 30 to 50 and 50 to 30
Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The transfer switch (at least on ours) is a silver-colored box about 10" square located in the electrical bay. This box switches the coach's power between the gen set or shore power. If you are comfortable working with live electricity, you can take the cover off the box and probe the contacts with a meter to see what's going on.

The EMS of course detects if the coach is being fed with 220V (50 amp) or 110V (30 amp). Nothing in the coach uses 220V, so only each leg of 110V gets used. Without reviewing my wiring diagrams, I can't tell you exactly how Winnie does it (I forgot!)

I believe the 30 to 50 amp adapter simply ties each hot leg of the 50 amp cord together and feeds it with 110V.

If you aren't the DIY-type, maybe you would be better off paying a tech to diagnose your problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The "Box" next to the power cord is just a terminal strip for all the in & out cables - no switch

Somewhere there has to be a control that auto. changes over when the gen. set is on -- I don't have any power in the coach when the gen. is on and i don't have 50 amp. when the shore power is plugged in.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like the transfer switch to me...The power cord should connect into a gray box that has 4 screws on the cover. The "switch" is electronic - using relays. If you have no power with the generator, I would give the gray box a good bang with your fist. That may help engage the relay while on generator.
You could have tripped breakers on the generator too, but this really sounds like a bad transfer switch.
The only way to troubleshoot this yourself is to take a meter and follow the power as John says, checking for voltage at each connection. If you want more detailed instructions to do that, let me know - but sounds like a trip to the dealer. Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our EMS has been showing that we have 30 amps coming into our RV. We know that we are connected to 50 amp service. This has happened at the last three RV parks. Our A/C and all other electrical appliances work fine. After doing an EMS search on this list, I 'm assuming that the EMS is brokeen. Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer for their input. I'll let you know what I find ouy
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
The EMS assumes that if there is no voltage measured between the two hot legs of 50-amp service, it is 30-amp 110v service. Another reason not have a measurable voltage between the two hot legs would be if one of them was not live.

Does everything electrical work in the coach? Can you measure 220v between the two hot legs in the breaker panel (assuming you're comfortable doing this)?

If you measure 220v there, the problem is with the EMS m(or its electrical connections). If you don't measure 220v there, the problem is elsewhere.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

YOU DONT BY CHANCE HAVE YOUR 50/30 KNOCKDOWN CABLE STILL CONNECTED????????????
Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like it may be a bad circuit board for the EMS. I believe its located at the rear of the electrical panel where the breakers are. The board I believe is involved in sensing whether 30 amps or 50 amps is available.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob and Vicki:
Our EMS has been showing that we have 30 amps coming into our RV. We know that we are connected to 50 amp service. This has happened at the last three RV parks. Our A/C and all other electrical appliances work fine. After doing an EMS search on this list, I 'm assuming that the EMS is brokeen. Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer for their input. I'll let you know what I find ouy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Known PRoblem - see post EMS Problem and resd the whole thread

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with the ems system on the Journey. Problem was a bad board which was replaced.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I've left messages at Intellitec - can't get a call back -- keep getting phone message run around
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Called Kristen at Intellitec, 386-738-8143. She transferred me to tech. and he confirmed that the control panel was the problem. Called Winnebago and was told to go to a dealer. Talked to several dealers all said that they would order the part and replace it under warranty after they check it out. Now I just have to figure out where we are going next and then order the part.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote