Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

38Q AC thermostat

I found the sensor for the rear AC under the switches in the bedroom. That one operates well. The one in the main room seems to not respond quickly. The room is 70 and AC is set at 74 and I have to turn it to 76 to get it to turn off. Apparently the sensor is somewhere warmer in the coach which would mean close to the front cab area or under cabinets. I have looked all over and can't find it. Anyone know where it is?
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The analog thermostat on our 2016 31ke had a huge range for both turning on and kicking off. Got tired of freezing at night before the heater would kick on then having to throw the covers off once it got too hot. Talked to my brother-in-law and he told me it was due to the mechanics of the thermostat. He suggested we change to a digital one. I did and now the thermostat turns on at the set temp and turns off one or two degrees higher. The heater and air conditioner cycle on and off a little more but we don't have the huge swings in temperature. It was totally worth it and an easy replacement.
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I think my 2016 is digital. It controls both AC units, the electic heat and gas heat and three settings on the blower for each unit. It is located in the center of the coach on an inside wall. The gas heat is not strong although it seems to heat the floors more than blowing from the vents. All vents are attached as I checked. Once it has warmed it keeps it well and does not seem to eat propane quite as much as older models. My rear AC seems to respond well but the front one does not seem to notice that it is cold even though set at 74. I must turn to 76 to get it to turn off when the room is actually 71, Thanks for the input.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Having the two units, Winnebago probably did use a digital unit. Our original thermostat had a lever to adjust the temp (no exact temp reading). The new one has a digital read out and a digital sensor in the thermostat. The sensor made the difference.

Winnebago has a pretty responsive owner's help line. If you haven't tried them, it might be worth a try. They may be able to tell you where the sensor is in the main room. You will need your VIN# when you call.

Good luck! I am confident you will be able to get the issue resolved.

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoo View Post
I found the sensor for the rear AC under the switches in the bedroom. That one operates well. The one in the main room seems to not respond quickly. The room is 70 and AC is set at 74 and I have to turn it to 76 to get it to turn off. Apparently the sensor is somewhere warmer in the coach which would mean close to the front cab area or under cabinets. I have looked all over and can't find it. Anyone know where it is?
the front sensor on our '16 38Q is located above the co-pilot seat. it's a small, round sensor.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the front sensor on our '16 38Q is located above the co-pilot seat. it's a small, round sensor.
Thank you. Found it. I thought it was a button. Now I know why it was weird. I open the door to cool the boxes in the overhead and the heat is on it. No just ventilate door to overhead and it is much more consistent with the setting.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That should read now with the door mostly closed but room for warm air to escape and the sensor more open to the room it is a much more consistant application. I have insulated a little in the front cap but must seal off the wall that was trimmed to allow space for dvr and dvd. My new Genie does not require that much space so when I get home I will remove my boxes and seal the back wall
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you. Found it. I thought it was a button. Now I know why it was weird. I open the door to cool the boxes in the overhead and the heat is on it. No just ventilate door to overhead and it is much more consistent with the setting.
I had the same concern as you so I installed a couple of 12-volt muffin fans along with a manually adjustable "thermostat" to keep the electronics cool. those fans run constantly but they're very quiet. I can shut them off entirely when the MH is in storage.

in addition I ordered a replacement door for the overhead cabinets but without the solid panel. in place of that panel I used a piece of rigid screening that allows the hot air in that space to vent to the MH interior. it's not only functional but it looks good.

last year we ordered a MagnaShade windshield solor shade. the installation required us to completely remove all of the electronics in those cabinets in order to install the solar shade magnets on the upper portion of the windshield. after the magnets were installed but before we re-installed the electronics I had the space between the back of the cabinets insulated with reflective foil material. that has really made a difference. the muffin fans helped but the insulation did such a good job that when we reached Phoenix 2-weeks ago and encountered 95-100 degree heat and parked into the sun we were able to run the electronics (sat TV receiver among them) with the cabinet doors closed with no ill effects.

just food for thought.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

cpoo, the front remote temp sensor is mounted on the front of the lower kitchen cabinet looks just like the one in the bedroom. It is just under the counter top. Looks like it could be easily blocked with something placed on the back of the couch.
The button above the co pilot seat is the Matrix IR receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38Q front remove stat.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	156482  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
cpoo, the front remote temp sensor is mounted on the front of the lower kitchen cabinet looks just like the one in the bedroom. It is just under the counter top. Looks like it could be easily blocked with something placed on the back of the couch.
The button above the co pilot seat is the Matrix IR receiver.
yup...I sit corrected. I did find the sensor behind the couch under the lip of the counter. seems like a bad place for the sensor. the remainder of my post regarding the muffin fans, etc. still stand.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

This is how we learn. I learned a lot with this post. Thank you both for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. One question about insulation. Does the reflective insulation accomplish anything in the closed space that regular roll insulation would not?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
This is how we learn. I learned a lot with this post. Thank you both for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. One question about insulation. Does the reflective insulation accomplish anything in the closed space that regular roll insulation would not?
cant say for sure but I think the reflective foil type of insulation may hold together better than other types but I don't really have anything to back that up other than we used the reflective type on for several years in the windshield of a previous motorhome and it held up very well.

Tags
thermostat