Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

raycyn778 all of the older Dish receivers had the OTA input and a channel 3 or 4 output for back in the days when tv's only had a antenna input. OTA antenna connected to the receiver and the receiver connected to the TV that way you could watch local TV without changing cables.
Here is King Controls write up on the OTA switch plate.
"JACK POWER INJECTOR SWITCH PLATE
Provides 12 volt power to an amplified TV antenna. When on, the LED power light illuminates indicating that power is being supplied to the antenna and over-the-air antenna signal to the TV outputs. When off, campground cable TV signal is fed to the TV outputs if wired for cable TV input."
Like emiddleb noted there could be a loose connector at one of the plates.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Ray, in the diagram I was referring to the box at the top center. It really didn't say what it was, so I thought it might be a simple A/B switch to choose between the roof antenna and cable TV input. Grant has more info and it sounds like it switches electronically based on the on/off of the power. In either case it's choosing which input to send downstream, and is one of the possible failure points you'll have to check out.

Basically, IMHO your best bet is to run a cable direct as I've mentioned, make sure you can see the cable channels, and then start adding things back in one at a time until you hit the point where something doesn't allow your TV to see the cable. Then you'll know what needs to be fixed... box, coax, or...

As far as your sat question, my experience with DirecTV is the same as Grant's with Dish. Some of the DirecTV receivers allow you to add a local antenna to the sat box and it will merge the stations into one listing. Then you can simply choose what channel to watch and the box will switch from sat dish to local antenna as needed without you having to do anything.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #23

Got it now, an electronic A/B switch...we have come a long way!! Thank you all for the great ideas. I am going to try them out in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I will be able to narrow down the problem and possibly fix. I am trying to avoid going all the way back to my dealer (108 miles away). Camping world in Myrtle Beach is a lot closer but I have no faith in them (CW) after all the problems I have read about them.
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote