Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My coach is 30amp but I have a 30 to 50amp dog bone.......Do you guys think it is better to plug in to 50amp service if avail. instead of 30amp???

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My coach is 30amp but I have a 30 to 50amp dog bone.......Do you guys think it is better to plug in to 50amp service if avail. instead of 30amp???

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Absolutely use 50 amp if available - I am on my third 50/30 adapter and most shore power electrical problems I have had involve 30 amp outlets. Usually the problems are with loose/sloppy outlets.

A loose capture of the plug blade will result in heat being generated as voltage is being dropped across the connection. The blade will heat up and start to melt the plastic. As the socket heats up it slowly loses its temper and the resistance increases even more creating more heat, etc.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure.

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Absolutely use 50 amp if available - I am on my third 50/30 adapter and most shore power electrical problems I have had involve 30 amp outlets. Usually the problems are with loose/sloppy outlets.

A loose capture of the plug blade will result in heat being generated as voltage is being dropped across the connection. The blade will heat up and start to melt the plastic. As the socket heats up it slowly loses its temper and the resistance increases even more creating more heat, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and vice-versa..50 amp might be sloppier that 30 amp. Best to give both plugs a wiggle check while you have a digital voltage surgegard connected...before connecting AC power fully to coach..if voltage varies greatly during wiggle check..go for outlet with little wiggle and voltage fluctuation..
Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Dang...I always learn something even when I didn't know there was a question! I had never thought about this and have experienced what John describes re melting of 30 amp plugs. SO, I need to buy that dog bone and use 50 amp where avail even though the coach is 30.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Dang...I always learn something even when I didn't know there was a question! I had never thought about this and have experienced what John describes re melting of 30 amp plugs. SO, I need to buy that dog bone and use 50 amp where avail even though the coach is 30.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

also, those kind folks at RV register desk will ask you.."30 amp or 50 amp?"..50 amp usually costs more..then you can see if they buy the dogbone use for 30 amp price...ROTFLMAO..
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I suppose you could get or make a 30 amp to 30 amp adapter (ie a 1 foot extention cord) which would be a 'sacraficial' connection like the 50 to 30 adapter for cases where 50 amps is not available or costs extra.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greybeard:
My coach is 30amp but I have a 30 to 50amp dog bone.......Do you guys think it is better to plug in to 50amp service if avail. instead of 30amp??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes using the 50 when available helps you when the campground wiring is marginal. I have a 30 amp coach and found that in situations where there is low voltage the 30 amp will many times trip at most inoportune times, like the middle of a hot knight while it is raining but the 50 amp with a dog bone will hold the load.

An AutoFormer and SurgeGuard should also be included for more complete protection.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greybeard:
My coach is 30amp but I have a 30 to 50amp dog bone.......Do you guys think it is better to plug in to 50amp service if avail. instead of 30amp??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes using the 50 when available helps you when the campground wiring is marginal. I have a 30 amp coach and found that in situations where there is low voltage the 30 amp will many times trip at most inoportune times, like the middle of a hot knight while it is raining but the 50 amp with a dog bone will hold the load.

An AutoFormer and SurgeGuard should also be included for more complete protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen on AutoFormer and SurgeGard...I use both. Expensive yes..but low voltage electrical damage repair is like chasing cancer...
Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

It is also a good idea to check the condition of the "prongs" on your cords. If they show some discloration or oxidation (corrosion) you can use a fine wire brush or some of that Three-M abrasive pad stuff to clean it with.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:

An AutoFormer and SurgeGuard should also be included for more complete protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume its better to use a 50amp AutoFormer & SurgeGuard protector as well??

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I assume its better to use a 50amp AutoFormer & SurgeGuard protector as well?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes - that would provide the ultimate in power conditioning and protection. I have a hard-wired 50 amp surge guard and finally broke down and bought a 30 amp autoformer a few months ago.

The surge guard provides better spike clamping than autoformers and will shut off power if above/below safe limits.

We have run into a few situations with low voltages, and most frequently with 30 amp outlets. Only once in a great while we encounter low voltages with 50 amp service, certainly not often enough to justify the added expense and weight of a 50 amp autoformer.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote