Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We've a (new to us) 2005 Itasca Suncruiser with the power monitor and having recently camped in three places claiming to offer and provide 50 amp service not one single time did the "50 amp" green light come on. At no time has the power monitor center ever showen more than 30 amp. on the service available lights and at no time have we ever asked the shore line to provide ven anywhere near even thirty amps.

Is this normal? Or are we broken?
Is there some sort of test?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We've a (new to us) 2005 Itasca Suncruiser with the power monitor and having recently camped in three places claiming to offer and provide 50 amp service not one single time did the "50 amp" green light come on. At no time has the power monitor center ever showen more than 30 amp. on the service available lights and at no time have we ever asked the shore line to provide ven anywhere near even thirty amps.

Is this normal? Or are we broken?
Is there some sort of test?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What type of plug do you have on your electric cord? Some coaches have 30 amp and the others have 50 amp. A 30 amp plug has three prongs while a 50 amp has four prongs. If your coach is wired for 30 amp that is all you will ever be able to get. If it is wired with 50 amp you may need to set the switch/button on your monitor to 50 amps. If you have a 50 amp cord, you can get a dog bone plug that will allow you to plug into a 30 amp plug at the site. You will only get 30 amps.
The lights on the monitor tell you what you are plug into and the readout tells you how much your system is using. Normally with everything turned off and your batteries are charged up, you should only see 1 or 2 on the display. As you turn on things you will see the draw go up.

If you are on 30 amps, the christmas tree on the monitor will tell you what appliances are getting power, water heater, a/c, a/c fans, refer. This is the management part of the system. It will control your appliances by turning them off and on, so you do not go over 30 amps and pop a breaker.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If your coach is wired for 50Amp service (breaker panel will have 2 50amp breakers), insure all other breakers are on.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you are using your 50 amp plug into a 50 amp outlet as Tom suggests, your 50 amp light on the EMS should light.

We have been in a campground where the 50 amp outlet was wired incorrectly and the EMS indicated 30 amp. The chances of three different CGs with mis-wired outlets is too great to be considered.

It sounds like to me you have a defective EMS panel. Give the company a call Monday and discuss it with them.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Rckhouse, according to the Winnie literature you have a 30 amp powercord same as we have on our 2005 Sunova. You'll never get 50 amp service if your coach is only wired for 30 amp. Further, as RV_Boy mentioned your plug is physically not compatible with a 50 amp receptacle. I'd say your systems are working as they're intended to work.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's the brochure on the Winnebago website: 2005 Suncruiser

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

According to the original sales order, ours was modified at birth from brochure specs and fitted at the factory with an optional Item 78J 50-amp Electrical Service complete with an ATS 5070 Automatic Line/Generator Switch rated at 120/240 vac 50 amp and a four-prong power cord. The Genuine Itasca 2005 Suncruiser Operator Manual makes numerous references in the electrical section to 50 amp service. However, in three times out the green 50 amp light has never illuminated even though the parks claimed we had 50 amp service.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVJeeper:
Rckhouse, according to the Winnie literature you have a 30 amp powercord same as we have on our 2005 Sunova. You'll never get 50 amp service if your coach is only wired for 30 amp. Further, as RV_Boy mentioned your plug is physically not compatible with a 50 amp receptacle. I'd say your systems are working as they're intended to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rckhouse:
According to the original sales order, ours was modified at birth from brochure specs and fitted at the factory with an optional Item 78J 50-amp Electrical Service complete with an ATS 5070 Automatic Line/Generator Switch rated at 120/240 vac 50 amp and a four-prong power cord. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well then okee dokie... I stand corrected! I didn't see in the options that a 50 amp upgrade option was available. In that case you should see the 50 amp. indicator light up on the panel and I'll side with John and say the EMS needs help.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #10

Just FYI. The Suncruiser is two steps up from the Sunova Class A model. Im surprised that 50 amps wasn't standard on the Suncruiser.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

RV_Boy,

Where's the switch on the monitor panel? I don't think I've ever seen 50 amps or a green light.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

78J was the 50 amp option for the 2005 Suncruiser. MSRP was $294.

Call Intellitech. If you're plugged in to 50 amp service and your EMS is only showing 30 amps you probably have a bad EMS control board. The board is located in the 110v breaker box in the bedroom. If you remove the board you may see a burned area on the board.

I had a bad board and call Intellitech. They told me they had a run of bad diodes and that is exactly what was burned on my board. They sent me a new board and I installed it and mailed the old board back to Intellitech. I was under warranty so no charge but I think they'll replace yours at no charge.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My monitor has a small button/switch on the left side of the monitor that allows me to select the power source, 20, 30 or 50. Normally I leave it on 50 and it selects for me.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Actually, the button only switches between 20A and 30A. With the 4wire 50A circuit, the system can sense the 240v difference between the two hot legs. There is no way to sense the difference between the 20A and 30A hence the switch. What you may have run into is an improperly wired 50A source. I've had it happen a couple of times, and while John is right, you shouldn't have it happen several times in a row, it is possible depending on the park wiring.

I would check with Intellitech since the bad board is more likely the cause.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Robb,

You are correct. I just went out and checked it and it is a 20/30 switch.