Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

30-50amp conversion 2004 Adventurer 35U

In case this ever helps anyone with this upgrade. I decided to do the upgrade so I don't have to worry about power issues with all the things running in the bathroom and kitchen and the AC#2 compressor kicking in. I wouldn't have done it unless the ATS and load center were already in place for 50amp.

Working on a 30-50amp conversion. As other have stated pulling the 6/4 from the ATS to the load center is the bulk of the work. I completed that yesterday. My ATS and load center are already rated at 50amps. Winnebago had 50amp service as an option but didn't run the 6/4 for 30 and 50 amp. Sure would have helped.

I had suggestions from other threads on how to get it pulled but most didn't match my coach. On my 35U I started at the ATS. Under the rear bed I removed the wood panel that exposes the floor under the bed. A few screws. There is a hole in the floor. Not the one where the AC filter sits. I used a fiberglass rod from the ATS to get to that hole. I had to reach down in the hole and back to locate the rod. I had a pole string attached to the end of the rod. From the passenger side through the thin compartment space above the propane tank I feed another fiberglass rod to the hole under the bed. I tied the pull string to to that rod and pull the string over above the propane tank hole. I bought 30ft of 6/4 romex. I pulled the romex from the ATS over the compartment above the propane tank. I put the romex in 3/4 split loom so it could breath.

Getting from the propane tank compartment appeared to be a rear challenge. I pulled the drawers under the kitchen. I removed the bottom of the sink floor. A few screws. And I removed the thin white cover behind the load center. Small nails. This gave me good access to the back of the load center. The existing wires from the ATS to the load center come up through the floor behind the drawer under the stove. I pulled all the kitchen lower drawers.

The compartment below the outside radio. At the top of the compartment is a access panel for the gray water tank. Part of the panel runs behind the rear fender. I removed the screws from the fender in front and back. To my surprise the fender is hinged and lifts up. I could then remove the access panel. It has some sealant on it and I needed to pry it off. Looking up I could now see the wires going through the floor to the load center.

I pushed the romex up from the propane compartment with the pull string on the end. It hit the gray water tank. There is a narrow gap on the left side of the tank. I could see the romex and pull string. I used the fiberglass rod with a rubber tip on the end to hook the pull string. I then feed the romex up through the floor and behind the cabinets to the load center.

I removed the existing 10/2 ATS power feed and feed the romex into the load center. I'm thinking of popping out one of the load center feed holes and putting the 10/2 back in the load center with acorns and curled up.

'm planning to terminate the wiring this week and install the new 30ft 50amp power cord. I got one that is very flexible and has the 50amp connector with pull handle. It is a SurgeGuard 50A30MOSE. I did a lot of research on that.

I have the load center 20/50/50/20 breaker needed. It replaces the 30/20 breaker and the other just move over a slot. I have a new 50amp label for the load center door. I removed the jumper in the load center to split the back plane. I have the Onan 30amp breaker to replace my 20amp breaker. I know I need to add two jumpers to the ATS.

I plan to tie the AC#2 feed at the ATS so I don't need to run another wire from the load center to the basement air.

I bought a 30amp to 50 amp dogbone. I bought a 50amp to 15amp dogbone just to charge the batteries when RV is sitting at home. And I have an EMS-PT50X portable surge protecctor on order.

Tags
adventurer, vent