Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2nd Dumb Question Newb

Hi All:

When I was buying my coach my seller was giving me a lesson. He said on HWH Hydraulic Leveling Panel, AFTER I stated the engine, ALWAYS hit on the ON BUTTON and STORE BUTTON...?? Even if my jacks were not down? Is this a correct statement?

Say I stop for gas, shut off engine, when I start back up, do I still have to hit the on and store keys? It takes like threes minutes before these lights cycle and go off.

I told you it was a dumb question

Regards.... Jim (newb) P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Once stored you do not need to repeat. Unless the"Jacks Down" alarm sounds there is no reason to keep hitting the store.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Agree with above. I never touch my hwh panel unless it to raise or lower the jacks.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

Thanks... I thought so but wanted to make sure.

Regards Jim P.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The "store" button on the HWH panel has a dual function. It raises up the jacks and also opens up the valves that allow the airbags to be pressurized. You will know that your jacks may not be up due to the annoying chime. The only way to be sure your airbags are pressurized is by pressing the "store" button.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi Harry:

Thats very interesting, I bet you that is why he did it.

That brings me to another question, when you turn off your engine, how fast does the air bag suspension dump?

I see on gages that there is about 115 lbs in front and back.

Regards Jim P.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Harry:

Thats very interesting, I bet you that is why he did it.

That brings me to another question, when you turn off your engine, how fast does the air bag suspension dump?

I see on gages that there is about 115 lbs in front and back.

Regards Jim P.
Shutting off the engine does not initiate the process of dumping air from the suspension. On most of the HWH leveling system panels, the act of turning the system 'on' will dump the air. Or, you may have a separate 'dump' button. My HWH system dumps air as soon as I hit the 'on' button.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our 2005 Meridian has a dump button on the HWH Panel. One thing to note, when pressing the store button, leave it alone until it shuts itself off. I was told that if you shut it off when the jack lights go out, it is still not fully retracted. Just wait for it to finish and shut itself off. Then you are ready to go.

Another note...no such thing as a dumb question!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I guess the key word here is DUMP. I am asking, when I turn OFF the engine, is all the air let out of my air shocks front and back automatically with every turn off? I used the word dump... meaning let out? does it do it instantly? Does it take a few minutes?

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Regards Jim P.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Hi Harry:

when you turn off your engine, how fast does the air bag suspension dump?

Regards Jim P.
Jim.... As Smlranger mentioned, the bags will stay pressurized when you turn off the ignition. How long is dependent on how tight an air system each coach has. Mine will stay up about 10 days and then the rear will be the first to go down. Some coaches stay up for only a couple of days.

The way my coach dumps the air is by turning on the HWH system's auto level mode or by pushing the air dump button. This can vary depending on the model of the HWH system.

If you have a good functioning air system there should be no need to push the "store" button, unless you let the suspension air down by pushing the "dump" button and then not deploying the levelers after the air dump has completed.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Harry:

Ok I think I got it. So if I am going to strore my coach, say over the winter months, should I dump my air bags manually or just let it happen on it's own ? Mine has the down arrows and says dump on the HWH control panel.

Thanks for all your help guys, don't know what I would do without you.

Jim P.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Harry:

Ok I think I got it. So if I am going to strore my coach, say over the winter months, should I dump my air bags manually or just let it happen on it's own ? Mine has the down arrows and says dump on the HWH control panel.

Thanks for all your help guys, don't know what I would do without you.

Jim P.
Jim, if you park your coach for 'storage,' as previously noted the air will eventuallly leak off (in days) and the coach will settle on its suspension. Personally, I store my coach with the jacks down to level the coach, so my air is dumped during that procedure. My theory, however flawed, is that raising/leveling the coach with the jacks takes some of the weight off the tires (minimizing flat spots) and also keeps the air suspension bags from remaining in the crumpled position (with no air in bags and coach laying low, the bags assume a deflated and distorted position). It has worked for me in the 5 years I've had a coach with air suspension.

Another recommendation is to drive (exercise) the coach at least once a month, avoiding prolonged periods of storage. This helps the tires, the lubricants, etc. I take ours for a drive to the store, etc. once monthly. I run the genset with enough electrical stuff turned on to give it exercise. The key is to drive the coach far enough to get the engine and tranny temps up to normal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Before we depart I visually check that jacks are retracted and I don't hear any air leaks.

I have had a few problems with sticky air bag leveling valves. The symptom is that the airpressure doesn't come up and you hear hissing noise near leveling valve(s). One time I releveled the coach then stored the jacks again. Other time I positioned myself over the rear axle(inside the coach near the shower) and rocked left/right in an attempt to get the valve off the dead spot.

When this first happened I thought the air bag bleed valve was stuck open. I called HWH and they diagnosed problem as air bag valve. On the 36G I think we have 3 valves, 2 in rear and 1 in front that control ride height via the air bags
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Jim, if you park your coach for 'storage,' as previously noted the air will eventuallly leak off (in days) and the coach will settle on its suspension. Personally, I store my coach with the jacks down to level the coach, so my air is dumped during that procedure. My theory, however flawed, is that raising/leveling the coach with the jacks takes some of the weight off the tires (minimizing flat spots) and also keeps the air suspension bags from remaining in the crumpled position (with no air in bags and coach laying low, the bags assume a deflated and distorted position). It has worked for me in the 5 years I've had a coach with air suspension.

Another recommendation is to drive (exercise) the coach at least once a month, avoiding prolonged periods of storage. This helps the tires, the lubricants, etc. I take ours for a drive to the store, etc. once monthly. I run the genset with enough electrical stuff turned on to give it exercise. The key is to drive the coach far enough to get the engine and tranny temps up to normal.
That's seems like a pretty smart thing to do. I was thinking about dropping the jack in storage, so you saved me from asking another dumb question.

Thanks for all your help. I'm getting there, slowly but surely..

Jim P.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Jim, as usual, smlranger is right on the money with his tips. One further thing to emphasize, as THutch noted, is to leave the HWH unit on after storing (raising) the jacks when you are departing on a trip. Even though you have a green "travel" light, don't shut the unit off - it takes 10-15 minutes for the system to fully bleed all of the hydraulic fluid from the jacks, and if you manually shut it off (green light goes out) you run the risk of the jacks slipping down an inch or two (on a hot day heat can cause the hydraulic fluid to expand) setting off the jacks down chime. I learned that alarmingly the hard way one day on the I10 at about 60 mph and it was not a fun experience. A quick call to HWH pointed out the error of my ways, but it was a tense minute or so finding a safe place to stop. Let the unit shut itself off and you'll have no worries (knock on wood, of course).

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Phil:

Duly noted and will remember that about letting the system run it's course.

Geez... so much to learn for a Newb.... hell it was easy learning and teaching to ride Harleys over the years compared to these motorhomes.

Regards... Jim P.

PS... I am going to try and make the Annual Rally in AZ GOD willing and if I can get my s**t together.