Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have yet a new problem, seems they never end. As per a previous post, I just installed 6 lifeline batteries and now have a 630 amp-hour battery bank. Well, charged the batteries to full at 13.1 volts and then unplugged the coach at 7pm and left it overnight in order to see how it held the charge. The batteries are connected though, so the parasitic draw is there, detectors, etc..., but no heater, no lights, nothing. By most accounts, one should be able to leave the coach this way for at least a few days, if not a couple weeks. Well, at 5am, the batteries were down to 12.4 volts. According to lifeline's manual, that represents approximately 64.3% of charge. By my calcs, that means the coach drew 225 amps out of that bank over the 9 hours, or a constant 25 amps! Is that even possible? Would seem if there were really a 25 amp short somewhere, that amount would be heating up or melting wires, or at least blowing fuses. Any ideas anyone?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have yet a new problem, seems they never end. As per a previous post, I just installed 6 lifeline batteries and now have a 630 amp-hour battery bank. Well, charged the batteries to full at 13.1 volts and then unplugged the coach at 7pm and left it overnight in order to see how it held the charge. The batteries are connected though, so the parasitic draw is there, detectors, etc..., but no heater, no lights, nothing. By most accounts, one should be able to leave the coach this way for at least a few days, if not a couple weeks. Well, at 5am, the batteries were down to 12.4 volts. According to lifeline's manual, that represents approximately 64.3% of charge. By my calcs, that means the coach drew 225 amps out of that bank over the 9 hours, or a constant 25 amps! Is that even possible? Would seem if there were really a 25 amp short somewhere, that amount would be heating up or melting wires, or at least blowing fuses. Any ideas anyone?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Something must still be drawing power from your batteries? Are you sure your inverter is shut off? Any fans running that are quiet and hard to hear? How about basement compartment lights? Either that or your batteries weren't as fully charged as you originally thought they were. Good Luck!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It's not clear that you have a 25 amp problem. A fully charged battery 'at rest' (key phrase) will measure 12.6 volts. If you had the charger on it recently and it measured 13.1 volts, this is not an ˜at rest' measurement. You can test this by fully charging your batteries, disconnecting them and walking away for about three hours. When you come back, they should be darn close to 12.6 volts. This assumes that you have a decent digital voltmeter.

I have found this web site to be useful:

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

If you want to test further for parasitic loads, get a decent digital voltmeter (I got one from Sears that will measure up to 20 amps DC), lift the ground connection and place the meter in series with everything turned off. You should measure very close to 0.0. You can start turning things on one at a time and check the current draw for each. Don't leave things on or you will exceed the 20 amps and blow a fuse in the meter. Don't turn on any heavy hitters like inverters or heater fans for the same reason.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Okay guys, you're never going to believe this, but I've found my "parasitic" draw. Just got back from a mechanic friends, he has a good amp meter and some knowledge. Anyway, we tested it and sure enough the coach was drawing 30+ amps, kept blowing the 30 amp fuse on his meter. We finally isolated it to none other than my Xantrex RS2000! Nothing on, no AC on, no 110v coming out the other side of the inverter, inverter is in the "disabled" setting, yet the thing is drawing 30+ amps constant. Well, with this knowledge, plus solar panels and my 630 amphour battery bank, I'm pretty sure I can limp my way through this coming week of dry camping with the inverter disconnected. Then when I get back, I guess the coach gets to go back into storage at the shop. However, I'm done with the guys who originally installed the RS2000 as they could not seem to get that or the AGS to work correctly. Anyone have any recommendations on a good shop in the Orange County, CA area that has electrical and Xantrex experience? I'm thinking of M&M Coach in Chino, had good luck with them the last time I was there and have heard good things about them. If anybody has any suggestions, would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

30 amps going nowhere should show up as a warm inverter. Is it warm? Are you sure your inverter cooling fan is not cycling on/off but you are not listening long enough?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Are we talking 25 amps draw on the DC (battery)side? Isn't that around 2 amps of AC output?
Doesn't take much to make that up in a hurry. Sorry, just lurking here trying to learn more about inverters. Thanks.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Did you add 6 volt or 12 volt batteries and where did they all go?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Alan,

Lifeline spec sheet shows 220 amps per each 6 volt battery. This should give you a 660 amp house bank. Your batteries dropping to 12.4 volts from a full charge of 12.6 volts represent a .2 voltage uee or a loss of 10 amps at 12 volts. Sounds like your set up is fine.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

wow, and I was wishing I had an inverter in my coach. I think I will follow this thread for awhile and get smart on inverter pros and cons.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Okay, sounds like I need to clarify some things. First, I am headed out in the morning so am done with testing/trouble shooting for now, will have to continue once I return, unless I get some time to play with it at the desert.

Scooter, as far as being warm, I would agree, seems that 30 amps has to be going somewhere. I don't recall the inverter being warm to the touch, nor do I recall any cooling fans running. Will have to check this out next time I connect it. Also, Xantrex tech support has gone home for the Holidays, so I have not been able to discuss this with them yet. Will have to try Monday.

Rocky, as far as DC to AC amps, I am not familiar with that ratio, however, the inverter was/is in the off/disabled position, it is not generating any AC current, all electrical outlets and AC devices in the coach are dead, yet the inverter is still drawing 30 amps. If the inverter were on, I don't know that 30amps would have surprised me one way or the other, but turned off, it shouldn't draw at all, other than possibly a small amount to run the control panel and AGS.

Jim, they are 12v GPL 31T Lifeline batteries, 105 amp hours each. Three of them went in the original battery tray. The other three I built a mount that fits underneath the coach between the propane tank and the water tank. Tight fit.

Bob, Lifeline claims their batteries are 100% at 12.8v or higher, 75% at 12.55v, 50% at 12.2v, 25% at 11.75v, and dead at 10.5v. This does seem a bit optimistic, 12.6v or 12.4v for that matter doesn't seem bad, and I'm sure it could fluctuate that much depending on whats running and where in the line you take the reading.

Anyway, still thinking and analyzing, appreciate all the input. Still looking for Southern California shop recommendations though in case it comes to that. Will follow up next week once I get back into this.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

An inverter can really add to your creature comforts if you are not in a campground connected to a power supply. It will run your TV, coffee pot, microwave and you can use propane to run your refrig, stove and water heater on propane. This can give you your tv, radio and other entertainment including coffee.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I would agree with you on M&M in Chino as being quite capable in determining your problem
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Alan, you may want to check out these guys for repair...Solitron Technolgies. They are in Victorville, CA.
They have the best prices on Xantrex inverters and they repair & service what they sell. I've delt with them and they seem quite knowledgeable
A quote from their website:
COMING SOON!
Solatron Technologies will soon be breaking ground on our new state of the art drive in RV service center with hookups! Where our RV friends can always enjoy a fresh cup of coffee while their inverter is being serviced!

Good Luck,
Duner