Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry 2019 Winn. Vista LX batteries not charging

Brand new coach as of this weekend, plugged into shore power - but batteries not charging. Checked with meter, unplugged, all 4 batts at 8.7v, turned on engine for 10 min, meter read about 14v on all, turned off engine, after 5 min waiting, meter read about 12.2v, plugged back into shore power, after 10 min all batts at 11.85v, one hr later at 11.6v , one hr later at 11.4v.....tells me they are discharging rather than charging. House disconnect set to “use coach”, so that’s not it.

I have the feeling that the batts sat on the RV lot all winter without any care, so may be beyond help. Back to the sales lot this week, as this shouldn’t be an issue at the price of this rig. Will post again when we get it resolved.
John Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Try running the generator for a few hours and get your batts up to full. Ten minutes of engine run time is only putting a surface charge on the batts. Also, the battery charge system is controlled by a solenoid. Low voltage may not activate it properly.....mine sometimes sticks in a discharge mode, not sure where the current is going but can discharge the batteries. I exercise the coach and chassis batt switches and can hear the solenoid switch and all is well. Sounds like you have a volt meter so you can verify once you plug your rv back in. Make sure you have 110 going to the coach.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up I think we have it solved

Got to thinking about this...there is a second switch in the compartment forward of the house battery compartment, that is the Inverter/Charger Battery Disconnect switch. This basically turns on and off the inverter so I learned - and can help save power by shutting down the AC system when desired.

So I called Winnebago help line, and found out that this model does not come with a converter, which would automatically charge the batteries when plugged into shore power. Our coach has an inverter/charger, so this second switch must be put into the ON position in order to charge the batteries when hooked up to shore power. I tried this today, and the batteries are all charging at the "absorb" rate.

I have to say the helpline was really good service - less than 30 sec. wait time to talk to an actual person that knew how to diagnose what was going on (need to have serial number ready for them).

Anyway, all that is left is to fully charge up the batteries, then unplug to see if they will hold a charge over time.

So, mystery solved....thanks to all that responded.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Team

That's great news that you figured it out. Generally, inverter/chargers are better than most of the cheap converters installed in many RVs. They are smarter and do a better job of charging and maintaining the batteries.

On my Winnebago, when you turn on the House battery solenoid in the door way the inverter charger automatically charges the batteries when on shore power or generator. There is a separate inverter control monitor with an on/off switch in the "tech cabinet".

I've upgraded my inverter monitor to a more advanced model and it has both charger and inverter on/off buttons. But the charger function is generally ON whenever the house power solenoid is on.

Tags
batteries, charging