Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 View Norcold refrigerator draining batteries

Just wondering if anyone out there has a 2018 View with the non propane, 12V electrical only, refrigerator and is having trouble with running it all night when not plugged into shore power as I am.

I have kept a log and even set at a low setting, the refrigerator runs a full on/off cycle every 3 minutes. My stock batteries are discharged in about 6 hours to a level of 12.3V. At that point the refrigerator doesn't cycle correctly. Normally I can hear a click at the beginning and end of the cycle but once it reaches 12.3V, I no longer hear the click and the thing just runs, slows down and then runs but it really doesn't sound quite the same. Once the batteries reach 12.1V, the refrigerator totally shuts off.

I had a night that was cold so had to run the furnace some. In the morning I didn't even have enough battery to start the generator. Winnebago is saying I could have a faulty temp sensor for the refrigerator.

Just looking for some input from some other 2018 View owners in regard to how often their refrigerators cycle and if they are having trouble with the batteries lasting overnight. I am contemplating beefing up the stock batteries with 2 much heavier batteries with a total of 300 amp hours but also need to adapt the battery compartment as they are too tall to fit.
xphoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
HFA
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 Navion with that fridge. I almost never boondock, so I can't speak very authoritatively. However, I did try running it all night while parked in my driveway just to see how it would do and had no problems. I wasn't sleeping in the unit so I couldn't speak to any cycling issues. Everything stayed cold and the batteries were not drained. The sun came out and the solar charging kicked in. That compressor does run a lot.
HFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I just thought I would let anyone know that reads this thread that my problem has been solved and Winnebago Ind. has come through for me. I got a call from a supervisor in the service dept. at Winnebago that had several Norcold reps and his engineering dept in his office. They talked me through how to slide out the frig, locate a fuse inside a fuse holder that was overheating and remove it, then install a wire nut to reconnect the wires. Presto, the refrigerator ran totally differently and no longer sucked all the juice out of the batteries nightly. The refrigerator ran all night and still had power left in the batteries. I am thrilled and back out dry camping.

Thanks Winnebago!!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for posting the followup. Great that Winnebago provided a solution for you.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi:
I am having the same issue. When plugged into shore, the temp stays constant but when off the grid, the temp fluctuates with most frozen items unthawing, then refreezing. The frig motor will stay off for hours regardless of where I set it, then stay on for hours, again regardless of where I set it. I have it at the dealer now. And yes, it drained our battery tot he extent we could not start the generator on a cold morning. Had to start the engine to re-charge the batteries.
Wondering if an additional solar panel or replacing the cabin batteries with golf cart type batteries would help.
mad2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just saw the resolution to your issue and called service department to check the fuse out. Thanks, M
mad2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wow, this problem was chased for four months! Myself and several other owners in a long running thread I started on iRV2 forum. My thermostat and finally my refrigerator was replaced. Still I had to install 300AH batteries and mod the battery tray. So far it has worked. I will be calling WGO to get an answer on this fix as well. Thanks for posting it. Sounds like they finally found the problem after our struggle. Hopefully I will be fine and have surplus power for other uses if this fix pans out. Great news! We are on the road, have been out 5 weeks got another month at least and sometime we will wander home and address this again. Lately we are just dodging fires and smoke, stuck at Custer SD right now, smoke is not bad here just a slight haze, heading back toward CO is a few weeks, don't have a clue where we go next. The 24D is holding up fine so far. Still don't really like the bed, might replace the slats with plywood. Cargo door latches are a pain but I've adjusted them and they will latch but poor design. Dinette cushions are just about "flat", foam is not holding up to my weight at 220. Otherwise no issues - fingers crossed. The refrigerator is still a battery HOG, never would have made it without the Trojan 1275 batteries. Wow, if this fix posted works on my fridge I'll be coasting, watching TV, having fun with power to spare! Oh yeah, WGO did not install the water line supports, found all of them under the drawers and under the pantry floor, never installed. Looking for banging water lines before I get a leak. Also had to remount the water pump - somehow they managed to negate the rubber isolation mounts, got it fixed today so water pump is not banging floor under sofa.

Anyway...thanks again for posting the resolution you got from WGO. I knew they would finally get an answer and a fix! Just painful for the first batch of owners and a real mess.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoneguy View Post
They talked me through how to slide out the frig, locate a fuse inside a fuse holder that was overheating and remove it, then install a wire nut to reconnect the wires.
xphoneguy,

I know how to slide out the frig. Can you provide details about where the fuse/fuse holder can be found? Maybe a picture? Or is there only one, and it's extremely obvious?

Thank you!
-Bruce
BruceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #9
HFA
Winnebago Camper

Ditto, please.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the location is above the refrigerator. You need to remove the bottom and two side trim pieces, then remove the screws on each side holding in the frig, there were 8 on mine. Then slide the refrigerator out and look for the fuse holder with a red wire running through it. Cut it out, strip a little wire from each side and install a wire nut, then put it all back together.

If you have your refrigerator turned on and running battery and you touch the fuse holder, and it is scorching hot, then you had the same problem as me. The sales guy at Norcold, Al Snyder, knows the guy (I can't remember his name) who knew the problem.
They walked me through it along with the Winnebago engineering staff and Tom Pilgrim at Winnebago who is a supervisor in the service area of Winnebago.

If you call Winnebago service 800-537-1885, they should also know about it and help you. Or your local warranty dealer can call their service hotline to Winnebago and they should know about it too.

I did get Norcold to send me the two side trim pieces as I messed them up on removal.

Apparently this is only applicable to the Norcold refrigerators on the 2018/2019 Views made before August of 2018 with the refrigerators that are electric only with no propane option. Norcold told me that in the motorhomes like the View, the fuse is unnecessary, it is necessary in pull behind units that aren't fused as well as the
Sprinter.

I hope this help you!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
xphoneguy,

I know how to slide out the frig. Can you provide details about where the fuse/fuse holder can be found? Maybe a picture? Or is there only one, and it's extremely obvious?

Thank you!
-Bruce

Bruce, it is pretty obvious, it was the only black fuse holder that I remember up on top of the frig after you slid it out. It was also scorching hot as I touched it when the frig was turned on and running on batteries. there is a red wire running through the fuse holder
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

So the fuse is totally unnecessary? No problem removing it versus replacing it with a better holder? With full batteries and just the fridge running overnight on the currently hot nights, about where should the OEM 2840 batteries be in the morning? Right now I'm seeing around 12.3 before the sun comes up - is that in the range or should there be more in there?

Thanks,

Mark
Markap6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

One last question - how do I pop the trim without breaking any of it?
Markap6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap6 View Post
So the fuse is totally unnecessary? No problem removing it versus replacing it with a better holder? With full batteries and just the fridge running overnight on the currently hot nights, about where should the OEM 2840 batteries be in the morning? Right now I'm seeing around 12.3 before the sun comes up - is that in the range or should there be more in there?

Thanks,

Mark
Yes on the View the fuse is TOTALLY unnecessary. Do not replace it. This is per Norcold and Winnebago Industries. 12.3 is good voltage running that fridge all night. I usually set my frig temp at a setting of 3. Before the fuse was removed the fridge would no longer run if it got to 12.1V. When it runs you will see about a .1V drop. Also remember that the digital readout you are looking at is NOT exact! However, now that I removed the fuse, the frig still runs fine down to 11.9V

As far as removing the trim... 1st this should be a warranty issue and then it is up to the dealer to remove. If you want to try it yourself, the bottom just pulls off. The left side is not to hard. Push on the outside and slightly bend it towards you while trying to push it towards the frig to remove the trim from the clips that hold it. It is tricky. The right side is the same method but is harder because of the door hinges. If you take off the door, you can probably do it much easier.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
HFA
Winnebago Camper

xphoneguy, thank you for your post and your excellent followup answers. Mine is one that would be affected. I guess I'll take a look at it as preventive maintenance. Thanks, again.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
View D Owner

We will be picking up our new 2019 View in November from Lichtsinn RV in Iowa. Did Norcold and Winnebago give any indication that since they now know the problem that it will be fixed going forward?
gposton58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

yes, I believe yours should have the fuse holder already removed. Now that Winnebago knows about the issue. It wouldn't be a bad question for your salesperson to look into before taking delivery. The service manager at Lichtsinn should also know about it. I think his name is Dave. I worked with all those people when trying to figure out the problem.

Lichtsinn is a good dealer and since Forest City is a small town, everyone at Winnebago and Lichtsinn know each other. I bought from them as well!!! Would highly recommend them as a dealer and service provider. My sales person was Nicole Blazer - very knowledgeable, honest and straightforward.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoneguy View Post
Bruce, it is pretty obvious, it was the only black fuse holder that I remember up on top of the frig after you slid it out. It was also scorching hot as I touched it when the frig was turned on and running on batteries. there is a red wire running through the fuse holder
Thank you xphoneguy! I can actually see that fuse holder when looking through the top grate.

-Bruce
BruceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Xphoneguy,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Norcold compressor refrigerator!

Reading through the posts, a couple of questions:
  1. Has Winnebago said they're going to treat the fuse removal as a warranty issue?
  2. After removal of the fuse, you mentioned the refrig ran totally different. Does that refer only to the batteries not being drained during overnight usage or did other characteristics change?

For example, after my thermistor/thermostat was replaced, instead of the compressor staying off for several hours and then entering a cooling cycle, the refrigerator now cycles on/off approximately every 5 minutes.

Did you notice any change in this area or any other areas?

Thanks for any additional information you can share!

Wayne
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Wayneey

Winnebago has not directly said to me it would be a warranty issue, however I can't believe they would not handle it as such. Until we found the problem, they were unaware of it at all and the dealers were replacing frig thermostats. A guy at Norcold actually came up with the fix.

Yes the frig ran totally differently... originally it ran a full on/off cycle every 3 minutes and wouldn't run a full cycle at all at 12.1Volts. Now that the fuse is removed it runs a full on and off cycle that takes considerably longer and now depends on the setting I put the frig on. It also runs a full cycle until it drops lower that 11.9 Volts. I don't disagree that larger batteries would still be helpful, but now I don't lose the frig power nightly. I still have lost it but only due to cloudy days that the solar charger doesn't give me a full charge. Before the fuse removal I lost power to the frig every night regardless of the charge to the batteries.

I have not noticed any difference to any other areas, other than the frig not losing power somewhere during the night and the batteries being depleted prematurely.

Tags
batteries, norcold, refrigerator