Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #57
Taking it as it goes

So today is day 6 being just on solar with the fridge holding well on 4. Temps all fine and beer is still cold. Still running some led overheads a few hours in the evening and keeping the exhaust fan on most of the day. No TV and no furnace. Yesterday was off and on again clouds but I still harvested 85 AHs and this morning the batteries were still at 80%. So rather than plug in and manually put the PD into boost, I’ll wait another day and see if I can go a full week.

I like your idea about parallel 8g instead of single 4g. I appreciate that input in that I’m much more of a plug n play person than you obviously are! I hope to get my money out of the two original flexi panels, but plan on replacing them with another single 170w Zamp monocrystaline. So I’d drop from 370 to 340w but they feel the difference in the rigid panel efficiency and longevity will more than balance out.

I also mounted the new panel with AM Solar mounts rather than the Zamp ones and these allow me to tilt the new panel for more efficient collection if I’m staying in one place for a while.

I’ll keep applying what I’m learning from you and others but, as is said, so far so good. Thanks
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #58
Taking it as it goes

Solar and battery project update

After installing the following upgrades to our 19 Navion:

170W Zamp rigid panel to augment the existing 100W flexi panels
2 6v Trojans I series
Zamp temp controller
Moving the Zamp charge controller closer to the battery bank

Iíve been running the coach systems almost continuously for weeks now. My fridge works perfectly (except for the obnoxious noise level) and my batteries have never dropped below 12.3 volts in the morning and Iíve never hooked to shore or run the genny for more than 20 minutes a day. Now, the caveats are that most of this time has been very sunny, the days are long, and Iím pretty judicious with limiting other unnecessary power drain as in turning off the inverter and the propane switch when Iím not using these. Iíll use solar LED camping lights at night to help limit the use of onboard lights some and we donít watch a lot of TV especially on the larger screen in the living area.

Putting this much time and money into the system has been painful, and modifying our use behavior is a bit inconvenient, but weíre able to use the coach now as we wanted. Still angry with Winnebago engineering, but life goes on!
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #59
Winnie-Wise

Happy you got it worked out! We are on the road now for a month or so and my solar rebuild will be done when we get back. I've got one Battleborn playing with it as a battery box solution to run my brake buddy and led light bar when towing. It did so today for 8 hours and used 10% capacity - 90% left. I have a PD9145ALV charger mounted on top of the box. Plugged it in and it dumped 40 amps right into the BB. Took just about 15 minutes to get to 0 amps charge rate or - fully charged for tomorrow.

The box will run my CPAP at night when boondocked as well. It is way overkill at 100AH but I had to play with LFP to get to know the things a little better. there are some details to work out which bug me. For one the BB LFP has no external connect to shut down the PD9145ALV charger which should be provided, instead they just shut down the battery with the internal BMS. It works but your charger is just getting hot so it's a manual process.

When all that is worked out in my mind I'll go with some LFP solution, redo the solar and maybe be happy with dry camp in this rig

Tags
batteries, norcold, refrigerator