Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2018 Solar Tax Credit

When preparing your 2018 tax return, don't forget, if you installed solar on your RV in 2018, you may be eligible for a 30% tax credit based on the installed cost of your system. You do not need to itemize deductions to claim this credit. Here are some links with more information:

https://tax-queen.com/residential-en...credits-solar/

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i5695

And, if you're thinking about adding (or increasing) solar, 2019 is the last year for a 30% credit. The credit drops to 26% in 2020, 22% in 2021 and expires 12/31/21.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the information. We read where you posted it in the other thread. We have the form now and will file for our credit.
We are also going to pass along your post to other RV forums.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Site Team

We purchased a RV in 2017 with a “solar option” and the I added some additional panels. We took the credit on our 2017 tax filing for the cost of the option and the cost of the additional panels. The 30% credit just about paid for the two new panels.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I just did my 2018 taxes using TurboTax and, unless I missed it, I didn't see an automatic prompt for this credit. What I did was to open and complete Form 5695 (one of the simplest forms in IRS history) and the amounts flowed automatically to my 1040, reducing my taxes by $207.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Also can include any installation charge paid.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Remember you CAN file for ANY deductions or credits on your taxes as you want. HOWEVER in the end if the IRS decides to audit your taxes you will have to justify the deductions or credits.

Use caution and be aware that IF the IRS does audit you and decide you were not qualified for the tax credit, for your RV which you only used part time in the year, you will have to pay back the credit and any penalty and/or interest.

In past years I have seen in the instructions for the solar tax credit form words about 2nd homes and Recreational Vehicles. I don't see that in the 2018 instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

Here is a quote from the instructions about who may apply:
Quote:
Who Can Take the Credit
You may be able to take the credit if you made energy saving
improvements to your home located in the United States in
Home. A home is where you lived in 2018 and can include a
house, houseboat, mobile home, cooperative apartment,
condominium, and a manufactured home that conforms to
Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety
Standards
So is your RV a place where you lived in 2018? Can you establish to the IRS that you "lived" in that RV in 2018?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Remember you CAN file for ANY deductions or credits on your taxes as you want. HOWEVER in the end if the IRS decides to audit your taxes you will have to justify the deductions or credits.

Use caution and be aware that IF the IRS does audit you and decide you were not qualified for the tax credit, for your RV which you only used part time in the year, you will have to pay back the credit and any penalty and/or interest.

In past years I have seen in the instructions for the solar tax credit form words about 2nd homes and Recreational Vehicles. I don't see that in the 2018 instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

So is your RV a place where you lived in 2018? Can you establish to the IRS that you "lived" in that RV in 2018?
1. I guess I should have used the word "shouldn't" instead of "can't".
2. The 2018 instructions for form 5695 goes on to state (emphasis added). IMHO I think this takes care of it. Further, the About Form 5695 states that "there are no recent developments at this time:

"Qualified solar electric property costs. Qualified solar
electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar
energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the
United States. No costs relating to a solar panel or other
property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify
solely because the property constitutes a structural component
of the structure on which it is installed. The home doesn't have to
be your main home.
"

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-5695

As with any tax issue, the onus is on the individual to properly comply with tax law and, if in doubt, one should consult an expert (and I'm not one).
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

BobC. That is great. I didn't read far enough in the instructions. Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post

My info is incorrect. I didn't read far enough in the instructions. BobC gave the correct info in reply #7. "The solar does not need to be on your main home"
Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

And for those who added solar late in the year, there's nothing in the instructions that state you have to have "lived" in the "home" after solar was installed, just during the year of installation.

Tags
solar