Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2017 Aspect Infotainment System

Our 2017 Aspect 30J Infotainment system went dead 2 weeks ago. We were pulling into the KOA in Needles, CA when it just shut off. No power. Dead. We couldn't resurrect it over the weekend so when we returned home to Flagstaff, I called Winnebago. Since we are second owners, the rig is almost 2 years old, there is no warranty. However, they gave me the number to Riverpark who manufactures the unit.

I called them and talked with tech support. Chris laid out what I needed to test once I got access to the unit. There was where the problem lied...getting access! I read the threads about how to pull the bezel and maneuver it over the steering wheel/column but couldn't get her to budge. Chris recommended that I take it to a car stereo place in town instead of an RV shop. It would be cheaper and the guys would probably know more about the system than an RV shop. Boy, was he ever right! I took into our local shop here and they had the unit pulled in less than half an hour...plus I watched so I could do it again next time. We called up Chris with the tech right there and they walked through a couple of items. The unit was dead and needed to be replaced.

Chris asked again about the warranty and I told him Winnebago said there was none. He said he would send out a new unit to us FREE OF CHARGE! Just send the old one back! Are you kidding me? Who gives that kind of warranty?? Riverpark does!

The new unit arrived the next week and I took it back to the car stereo place and they reinstalled the unit, calibrated it and even paired our phones to the new unit for us. Cost? $75!!! The old unit is heading back to Riverpark now.

The Aspect is back up and we're heading out again this next week for a couple of nights to get out of the cold weather here in northern AZ. So, if you have an issue with your unit, don't underestimate just what Riverpark tech support might do for you! And I will always take an entertainment issue to my local car radio place! I can only imagine what the RV shops would have charged for this, not to mention I wouldn't have gotten to watch the process so I can learn something more! Sometimes the stars indeed align for us!

Al
AZAspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That's great customer service from Riverpark.
Crossing our fingers we never need to use it.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Team

When we first picked up our new Adventurer the Xite system (Riverpark) started acting very oddly on the drive home. Finally, in our driveway at home we saw all kinds of random lines and shapes on the monitor and selecting something on the menu would only bring up more odd characters. Using my phone I video taped the issue.

I called Riverpart - and spoke to a guy named Chis, as well. Probably the same guy. I emailed him the video and they sent a brand new core unit, which is easy to remove on the Adventure as it's separate from the dash monitors.

My Xite system has worked great every since.

Yes, mine was in warranty, but I did not go through Winnebago or even supply any info about my RV. They did take a CC number in case I did not return the defective core unit but they never charged it.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
Our 2017 Aspect 30J Infotainment system went dead 2 weeks ago. We were pulling into the KOA in Needles, CA when it just shut off. No power. Dead. We couldn't resurrect it over the weekend so when we returned home to Flagstaff, I called Winnebago. Since we are second owners, the rig is almost 2 years old, there is no warranty. However, they gave me the number to Riverpark who manufactures the unit.

I called them and talked with tech support. Chris laid out what I needed to test once I got access to the unit. There was where the problem lied...getting access! I read the threads about how to pull the bezel and maneuver it over the steering wheel/column but couldn't get her to budge. Chris recommended that I take it to a car stereo place in town instead of an RV shop. It would be cheaper and the guys would probably know more about the system than an RV shop. Boy, was he ever right! I took into our local shop here and they had the unit pulled in less than half an hour...plus I watched so I could do it again next time. We called up Chris with the tech right there and they walked through a couple of items. The unit was dead and needed to be replaced.

Chris asked again about the warranty and I told him Winnebago said there was none. He said he would send out a new unit to us FREE OF CHARGE! Just send the old one back! Are you kidding me? Who gives that kind of warranty?? Riverpark does!

The new unit arrived the next week and I took it back to the car stereo place and they reinstalled the unit, calibrated it and even paired our phones to the new unit for us. Cost? $75!!! The old unit is heading back to Riverpark now.

The Aspect is back up and we're heading out again this next week for a couple of nights to get out of the cold weather here in northern AZ. So, if you have an issue with your unit, don't underestimate just what Riverpark tech support might do for you! And I will always take an entertainment issue to my local car radio place! I can only imagine what the RV shops would have charged for this, not to mention I wouldn't have gotten to watch the process so I can learn something more! Sometimes the stars indeed align for us!

Al

Outstanding information and advice. Thank you!!!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had a similar experience

Our 2015 Aspect's GPS was giving us problems last summer with it losing the signal intermittently and just shutting down as well. We contacted Riverpark and they emailed me new firmware to install. After following the instructions carefully, the unit would not boot up from the initial splash screen. Chris came to the rescue and sent us a new replacement plus reimbursement for the cost of installation, for free! This was a 3 year old unit.
lnkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have only been RVing for a short period of time but we are impressed with the quality of individuals we run into, the willingness to share knowledge and experience (without ego) and the rare find such as Chris at Riverpark! We have never known any company who stands behind their product(s) like this place does especially making things right because they believe that much in their product! And kudos to them for recommending that we use a car stereo place instead of an RV shop. I wouldn't have thought about that but it makes sense...these guys work with these kinds of systems every day! Riverpark has a believer out of us. Now do you think we can get that kind of service and backing from the rest of the industry? Winnebago comes close but some local dealers here in Arizona could use a lesson from these guys!

Al
Old 08-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Big changes in the staff at Riverpark. The support folks (Jerrel) was great. The inside sales guy had the personality of the shoe horn. He couldn't answer questions and simply said, "I'm here to give you a price for a replacement."

The issue with the Xite 6.5" unit is simple and was confirmed by Xite. Using the switch to power from engine to house causes a power fault and fries a capacitor, rendering the unit dead. So, running the infotainment unit on anything other than chassis power is not advisable. Keep the unit powered from the engine side of the switch.

We removed the unit to test the power and it is in fact the head unit that is dead and not fuses, GPS SD cards, etc. We confirmed this with a multimeter. Toughest part of the removal and install is pulling and replacing the bezel, which is tight. We will have about 1.5 hours into the replacement in shop time and a $750 + shipping cost solution. End of the day, the replacement is going to cost about $1000. Good news is, I have Good Sam Extended Service Plan... so my cost is $250. The plan has paid for itself in year one.

For those wanting to use a different 2-din head unit, you can. The Xite unit does not handle video switching, as previously reported. It simply ties into the cam1 input and audio of the switch. The switch is actually a part of the Aspect's install. What functionality do you lose? Well, there isn't a camera view while driving. It is switched and triggered by the reverse switch and directional signals. So, reports of the Kenwood models mentioned are accurate and will work. To make the process easy... get a ford harness cable for the head unit you choose.
psantinelli is offline   Reply With Quote