Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2013 Journey 42E Chassis battery Charging

Hi there
Went out to start motorhome and found batteries very low. We have been plugged into 50 amp for last 4 months. Coach batteries are charged.
I could not find a wiring diagram to see how the Chassis batteries get charged, so in anyone knows how Chassis batteries are charged that would help or if someone has a electrical drawing of charger system.

Thanks
Paul
Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Your wiring diagram is here Table of Contents

All kinds of good info from Winnebago on there site
Book mark this one

http://www.winnebagoind.com/product-...ct-information
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

audvid1, your coach has a Battery Isolation Manager which will keep both coach and chassis batteries charged unless you have energized either of the battery disconnect relays.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have the same issue with our 2012 40U. For now I just bought a battery charger that has a program to charge AGM batteries. With our unit the batteries are right next to the electrical bay compartment and the engine block heater plug is in there. I just plugged the battery charger in there and ran the charger cord over to the battery compartment and there's room in the battery bay for the charger to set there, then just leave the engine heater switch inside the coach turned on. It's my understanding that Winnebago uses a Trik-L-Start unit to keep the chassis batteries charged by syphoning power off the coach batteries. These units cost about $75, plus labor to install, the battery charger I bought was around $50.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had found the electrical drawings before, was actually looking for a schematic, but thanks for all replies, Now that I know I have the battery isolation manager I went on the hunt and found it. I started checking wires to see if any were loose, and found that the wire that goes from the Chassis batteries connector on the Battery Isolation Manager back into the frame(about a #10 Wire), it connects to a yellow crimp and it pulled right out of crimp, so now I know what I need to fix. Kind of tight in there so figuring out a plan to replace crimp and we should be good.
Thanks for all the help, makes like a lot easier.

Paul
Old 01-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Next update
Repaired wire where crimp was bad, now chassis disconnect works reliably, but did not correct charging issue. Followed trouble shooting tips on BIM and it appears it is not activating solenoid, so will need to get that replaced.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

audvid1, here is the link to the manufacturer of the BIM there is a trouble shooting guide.
Battery Isolation Manager (Control & Relay) 225Amp Continuous | Precision Circuits Inc.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You are the first person I have seen with a question regarding the BIM. Keep us posted on your success. And let us know the cost too.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had sent an email to Precision Circuits and they responded back on a Saturday and said that is I removed it and returned it to them they would test it and if defective, they would repair and return at no cost. I was impressed with the quick response.
I also found the trouble shooting guide and on both the engine running and shore power test, there was not 3.5 to 6 volts on the dash switch terminal which indicates that the module that controls it is not working.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

This is a great thread. I am posting on here to follow this. Great input!

Rick Y
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Update:
Received new BIM from Precision and was able to install today and it is working perfectly.
When looking at the old one, looks like the sealed unit became unsealed and some brown goo is leaking out.
I think the loose wire going into the yellow wire crimp was arcing and may have started the circuit to act up and ultimately burn up and leak the brown goo, so fixing wire crimp fixed the source of the problem.
As per Precision Circuits asked, I am returning old part and if they confirm it is bad, they will credit me for the one I purchased from them.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Great!! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
Update:
Received new BIM from Precision and was able to install today and it is working perfectly.
When looking at the old one, looks like the sealed unit became unsealed and some brown goo is leaking out.
I think the loose wire going into the yellow wire crimp was arcing and may have started the circuit to act up and ultimately burn up and leak the brown goo, so fixing wire crimp fixed the source of the problem.
As per Precision Circuits asked, I am returning old part and if they confirm it is bad, they will credit me for the one I purchased from them.
Great news. I can't figure out "BIM"? What is it in plane English?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi there
Sorry, BIM is Battery Isolation Manager. It is a large solenoid that connects between the House Battery and the Chassis Battery and whichever side is charging, will charge the other side. So if RV is running, if it senses that house batteries are below 12.6 volts, it will share the RV alternator charge with the house batteries and when engine not running and plugged into shore power and it notices that chassis batteries are below 12.6 it will share some charging from the house batteries to the chassis batteries.
Hope that made sense
Thanks
Paul
Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
Hi there
Sorry, BIM is Battery Isolation Manager. It is a large solenoid that connects between the House Battery and the Chassis Battery and whichever side is charging, will charge the other side. So if RV is running, if it senses that house batteries are below 12.6 volts, it will share the RV alternator charge with the house batteries and when engine not running and plugged into shore power and it notices that chassis batteries are below 12.6 it will share some charging from the house batteries to the chassis batteries.
Hope that made sense
Thanks
Paul
My error Paul. This was stated several times in above posts. I simply did not read them. I know this relay as a B.I.R.D. I have replaced one in my last coach. The low voltage battery is sought after by the relay and provided charging voltage/current. Now I see the light.

Rick Y
Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Precision Circuits just refunded my credit card for the Battery Isolation Manager after they checked it and confirmed it was bad. They refunded not only the cost of the part but also the shipping to ship to me.
What a great company...
Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Paul,
Thanks for the update. I have also been very impressed with the folks at Precision Circuits. I would note, I believe Winnebago just starting installing these units in 2013, so some of the statements above would not apply. For example a Trik-l-charge is not needed. And you certainly do not need a charger on your batteries if your inverter is working properly.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, chassis, journey