Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Have a 2006 Outlook, the only problem I have had is the cab battery going dead after sitting for a few weeks. It has a E450 engine, took it to Ford and they say no problem with the electrical system. Took it to Lazy Days they said there was nothing wrong with the electrical system. Before storage we make sure the electric step is off as well as any radios, cameras, backup monitors or anything that may be powered by the cab battery. Still every time we go to start up after a few weeks the battery is dead and we have to use the house to start. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this normal?
cojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Have a 2006 Outlook, the only problem I have had is the cab battery going dead after sitting for a few weeks. It has a E450 engine, took it to Ford and they say no problem with the electrical system. Took it to Lazy Days they said there was nothing wrong with the electrical system. Before storage we make sure the electric step is off as well as any radios, cameras, backup monitors or anything that may be powered by the cab battery. Still every time we go to start up after a few weeks the battery is dead and we have to use the house to start. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this normal?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cojo, it doesn't sound normal to me. There certainly are small parasitic loads that steal battery power after time (things like the electric step and RV radio and engine ECM). If you're not "electrically inclined" I would suggest going to a Winnie dealer and asking them to take a close look at it. But if you've got a multimeter & ammeter, and perhaps access to a battery load meter, we can walk you through some tests to help you pinpoint the problem. Keep in mind that it's possible the engine battery could have a bad cell. The good thing is that your RV is new, so any repairs/replacements should be n/c.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I put a battery maintainer on mine and ended that problem forever. It will only take a few times of the chassis battery going dead to end its life for all time.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Cojo:

Welcome to the forum. You've already gotten good suggestions and will find this forum very helpful.

With all the gizmo's on these rigs, parasitic loads are common. Like Homer, I use a Battery Minder to keep my chassis batteries charged during periods of storage.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ditto on the battery minder for me too, but I really only use it (the battery minder) during winter storage. My coach will soon be 3 years old in October. So far, knock on wood (?), my batteries are all working great. I do not keep my coach plugged in all the time. It stays unplugged til the day before we leave, then I level it, plug 'er into 120vac, and turn on the fridge... I usually go camping every two or three weeks, and I just go out there and fire it up... -no battery issues.
Cojo, see if you can get a battery load tester and put it on your engine battery. I suspect your new battery is not up to snuff.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2006 Sightseer with a similar problem. Battery was dead within a week or two. No one could find a problem - but they did switch out a house battery, saying it was weak. (not sure if it was the problem.) But I started turning off the steps and switching the radio to 'main'. and made sure everything is turned off. something was draining it. have not had a problem since. but I keep my fingers crossed everytime I go to start it up.
west04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Wow this forum is great! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will use all your information and see if I can't get to the bottom of it.
Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

west04 and cojo welcome to irv2 thanks for posting and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem on my Sightseer. I took it to a Ford heavy truck dealer and had them check the engine battery. They said the battery was OK but there was a small drain. They said that was common for motorhomes. I solved the problem by using a Battery Minder to keep the batteries charged.

I also had problems with my coach batteries. When plugged into shore power one of the batteries would get hot, 180 degrees F. I had my Winnebago dealer look at it and they changed out both coach batteries under warranty. That solved my problem.

I got tired of removing the battery access door to connect the Battery Minder so I ran the Battery Minder wires out of the compartment, and secured the wires under the coach. Now I can plug in the Battery Minder without opening the battery compartment.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote