Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Winnebago Vectra Gen/Battery Problems

New here. New owner. Question, I have a 2004 Winnebago Vectra. 40’. When I run the generator it shuts off after a while. What I have noticed is that if my batteries get low it shuts off. I’m not getting any charging on my house batteries. Shore or generator! Everything works till the batteries drain down. I have put a charger on them to keep them charged. Is this a converter problem? I have replaced my batteries (3). Am I doing something wrong? Is there a switch somewhere I’m missing? Thanks for any help.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
New here. New owner. Question, I have a 2004 Winnebago Vectra. 40’. When I run the generator it shuts off after a while. What I have noticed is that if my batteries get low it shuts off. I’m not getting any charging on my house batteries. Shore or generator! Everything works till the batteries drain down. I have put a charger on them to keep them charged. Is this a converter problem? I have replaced my batteries (3). Am I doing something wrong? Is there a switch somewhere I’m missing? Thanks for any help.
Is this problem since the battery replacement, do they charge when connected to shore power?
1. I would recheck the battery install and be sure all cables are connected correctly.
2. Are the battery disconnect switch(s) on?
3. Check input and output voltage to/from the converter?

Let us know.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Before going any further, put a meter on the converter to see if it is putting out voltage. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse on the converter but I would start there. If the converter is not working properly it won’t charge the batteries on shore power or generator.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Alan, welcome.

I moved your post out of the other thread and into your very own thread. When asking a new question, one not related directly to another thread, it’s always best to start anew so that your questions get the attention they deserve.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Your Vectra should have a 2000W Inverter/Charger (see the 2004 Vectra Brochure). When using Shore or Generator power the Inverter/Charger is what charges the house batteries. Sounds like there's a problem with your Inverter/Charger.

When the engine is running the alternator should charge BOTH the chassis and house batteries. You can check the battery voltage at the OnePlace Center with the engine running--both sets of batteries should show the same >12V reading.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote