Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V - Surge Protection

Hello:
I'm getting ready to purchase a Surge Protector, do I need to go the extra dollars or will PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES SSP-50XL Surge Protector with Cover (50 Amp) work well enough?
I was also told it would be best to buy PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A) because it would shut off the power if there was a problem. But, it's about $200 more than the first one.
Any recommendations?
Steve_n_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The SSP model just protects from high voltage, which is good.
The EMS model ALSO protects from low voltage, which is even better.

I think you'll find that most of us with 'surge protectors' on our RVs went with an EMS type.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good enough for me! How about the water pressure regulator?
Steve_n_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Water pressure regs are sometimes good but it can depend on where you park it. Places with extreme high pressure are often the somewhat remote and near mountains as it requires the added height to have the extremes. So one could get by without one but I carry one just in case I find a place where it is needed but I also note that it can reduce pressure to much if I use it all the time and am in a place where there is the more normal under 40 PSI. If my shower is too low to do the job, I remove the reg!
But they can be really low cost insurance for those other times. I find the parks who have the high pressure often warn me to use a reg.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Many low cost pressure regulators are really flow restrictors that also reduce the water pressure. I installed a residential water pressure regulator from Watts. It maintains the pressure it is set to, but does not reduce the flow.

I have always used a hardwired EMS 50 amp protector. Its one of the first things I install in a new RV.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Do not buy the SSP model. It does almost nothing. Consider an autoformer in your research.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Water Pressure Regulator

I have a permanently installed Watts pressure regulator on my water inlet on the coach --- I also have one where I screw the hose onto the water outlet at the campground. I know -- double kill but, the Watts does not restrict water flow, just the pressure and when you encounter a campground with HIGH pressure, you do not want high pressure on your feed hose as that can burst. I also have an inline water filter between the campground connection and the coach and the pressure regulator at the campground keeps the pressure low on the water filter.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Look into a Hughes Autoformer. It has surge protection and other advantages. Not cheap, but far less than a new AC or refer. And, you can hard wire into your electrical bay so there's no concern for theft from the utility pole. We have been traveling around the country and the transformer boost has saved us from low voltage older electrical grids on several occasions.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbud View Post
Look into a Hughes Autoformer. It has surge protection and other advantages. Not cheap, but far less than a new AC or refer. And, you can hard wire into your electrical bay so there's no concern for theft from the utility pole. We have been traveling around the country and the transformer boost has saved us from low voltage older electrical grids on several occasions.

If I was doing it again I would consider this. They (Autoformer) didn't have surge protection when I bought my Progressive unit many years ago. I still think about adding it from time to time.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_n_Sam View Post
Hello:
I'm getting ready to purchase a Surge Protector, do I need to go the extra dollars or will PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES SSP-50XL Surge Protector with Cover (50 Amp) work well enough?
I was also told it would be best to buy PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50XPortable RV Surge Protector (50 A) because it would shut off the power if there was a problem. But, it's about $200 more than the first one.
Any recommendations?

If you are interested in Progressive EMS-PT50C Check Parts For Sale Section
Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have the Hughes Autoformer which I hardwired into my electrical bay. It has surge protection built in. Being a Winnebago with the Powerline Mgmt System, when we are plugged into 30A when 50A is not available, we can run the basement air with both compressors on as the Autoformer will boost low voltage to an acceptable level to where the A/C will not be running with too low a voltage. I swear by the Autoformer, wouldn't be without it. I've had them on two previous motorhomes.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Adjustable regulator

I always use a regulator. Just like power surges, campgrounds on wells or water towers can have "surges". PEX line doesn't handle high pressure well. The cheap ones tend to over restrict and have failed. I prefer the one that has a gauge and is adjustable. It also allows me to have a little higher pressure than 40psi to help run the Reverse Osmosis I have installed. The adjustable are pricey but better quality. Just don't leave it on the hose bib! I've left two.

https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...ater-regulator

Tags
adventurer, vent, winnebago