Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Itasca dash stereo wiring

Hi all,

I'm wanting to swap out the double din radio in my new to me itasca sunrise 34d on a Ford chassis.

I got the radio out to find the harness adapter I bought for a 2004 ford doesn't even come close... not to mention 2004 do doesn't match the new do radio I puchased, but that's another discussion.

Any thoughts on where to get a color coded wiring diagram? All I can find in the factory wiring diagrams is at the harness level, not the individual wires.

Here's what is in there now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_163255.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	165655

And this is the factory adapter harness.

Name:	20170618_163324.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	165654

Thanks in advance!

Matt
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This is a very good subject to bring up, thanks. I want to do the same thing(same radio) but what stumps me is which wires to to where as I want to keep the surround sound in tact. I am making this post so I can keep up with replies from more experienced members than me on this subject.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
This is a very good subject to bring up, thanks. I want to do the same thing(same radio) but what stumps me is which wires to to where as I want to keep the surround sound in tact. I am making this post so I can keep up with replies from more experienced members than me on this subject.
be warned: even though the manual says "double din" it's not. You will have to cut the dash to fit. Not a huge deal, but you have to be "all in" on it!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I feel your pain, I bought a new dash stereo a while back but have not finish the install yet. Bought the same brand hoping for a easy switch, not so much.
You could contact Crutchfield see if they have a harness adaptor.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I too am researching the replacement of my Magnadyne M9900CDS receiver in my coach. It has a habit of shutting itself off and then I have to turn it 'on' again.

What I have learned so far is that this is a 1.5 DIN receiver head, and looking at the attached picture, a 2 DIN receiver would require significant modification of either moving the a/c ducts up or other major surgery.

Magnadyne has a replacement radio M3-LCD which (apparently) fits the box in the dash which holds the radio in place, and (may) have the same/similar wiring harness, but the face of the unit is a 2 DIN. In my coach, the face would then be lower than the bottom lip of the dash.

I will be calling Magnadyne in the near future to see what the exact dimensions are. But be aware, the dimensions of the head unit are different.

I would prefer another brand of a 2 DIN system, but it will require significant dash surgery.

I will stay tuned to this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Magnadyne pic.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	165689   Click image for larger version

Name:	M3-LCD_3_4__16259.1491261102.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	165690  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I too am researching the replacement of my Magnadyne M9900CDS receiver in my coach. It has a habit of shutting itself off and then I have to turn it 'on' again.

What I have learned so far is that this is a 1.5 DIN receiver head, and looking at the attached picture, a 2 DIN receiver would require significant modification of either moving the a/c ducts up or other major surgery.

Magnadyne has a replacement radio M3-LCD which (apparently) fits the box in the dash which holds the radio in place, and (may) have the same/similar wiring harness, but the face of the unit is a 2 DIN. In my coach, the face would then be lower than the bottom lip of the dash.

I will be calling Magnadyne in the near future to see what the exact dimensions are. But be aware, the dimensions of the head unit are different.

I would prefer another brand of a 2 DIN system, but it will require significant dash surgery.

Yeah, that would be a rough one... There are some single din with a screen that pops out, like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Sin...ed+touchscreen

I have no experience with them, but it's an option.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

One other idea for you: if you designed a spacer ring and had it 3d printed online you could have the radio stand off the thickness of the trim lip so the screen of the unit you posted could hang below. Print it in black and it might look pretty close to OEM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

So, there's good news and bad news... the radio which for some reason I thought was Sony is actually magnadyne. On closers inspection, the wiring is marked right on the radio itself. Duh...

On the bad news side of the ledger, on closers inspection of the dash it appears the bracket for the existing radio is part of a large structural support. If I cut it the dashboard will become "Mr floppy".

So, I will be doing something like Mr pusher man and returning my radio I purchased.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Cobalt and Doorguy,
Well, I kind-a just went through much of what you're thinking of. I didn't find any wiring diagrams. I got impatient. I just reasoned out what wire was what. It all came about due to me replacing the 100 lb. Sony Boat anchor 24" TV. I was not all too fond of the original Winne surround sound. It was/is non adjustable in terms of settings for each speaker and sub woofers.

So, out came the DHS unit that all that plugged into. All the wires for mine, including all the speaker wires, dash toggle switch control wires, Speaker selection wires for "TV/Radio speaker request, and more, all went down into the left front compartment.

Anyway, in the end, I've now separated the in-dash Magnadyne radio from the surround system and, installed some old "Bose" out door speakers in the top right and left upholstered corners of the top front cabinetry where, there were no speakers before. Those speakers are only 4" speakers but that Magnadyne sounds SERIOUSLY better than it ever did with the make-believe surround sound system.

I just determined which were the speaker wires eminating from the rear plug of that radio, extended all of them long enough to go up into the upper cabinets, right and left. I'll have to go out to my home made diagrams to be able to tell you which is right and left speaker wires, if anyones interested.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Did you read the manual for that thing? The interface looks terrible. I was considering it until I read that... I'll be looking for something else now. I may just go with a simple single din radio since I will use my tablet for for nav and most music... All I really want is bluetooth capability.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

or this 1.5 din radio from crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068NEW...5_din&skipvs=T

Not too sexy looking, but it will get the job done and look decent.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Replacement Radio

Quote:

Don,

That is 1.5 din. There would be lots of work to your dash to get a 2"din. We make an Installation kit for Class A & C that would shrink down that footprint. For a single din. You have options. I will attach the requirements for M3. Also I build the wiring harnesses for plug and play any of our radios.

Thank You,
Mag TechsM3-LCD - M4-LCD Dashboard Space Requirements.pdf
MagTechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Changing the Radio

Hello Everyone,

The older Magnadyne radios were manufactured in a 1.5 DIN chassis. To help in the replacement of the older Magnadyne radios adaptor kits area available to adapt the 1.5 DIN into a single DIN chassis (no cutting of the dash required). We also offer free custom wiring harness when a replacement radio is purchased from us. Here are the links to the kits and the article about the wiring harness.

Ford Adapter Kit:
M99XXFDKIT Ford DIN Adapter Kit | Magnadyne

Class A Adapter Kit:
Magnadyne M99XXSDKIT | Class A RV Radio Mounting Adapter Kit for M9900 Series Radio Replacement

Article Aboub Wiring Harness:
Replacement Radio Harness Adapter - Magnadyne

Please take a moment to content the Technical Support Team and they can provide you with instructions and choices.

Regards,
Magnadyne Web Master
MagTechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTechs View Post
Hello Everyone,

The older Magnadyne radios were manufactured in a 1.5 DIN chassis. To help in the replacement of the older Magnadyne radios adaptor kits area available to adapt the 1.5 DIN into a single DIN chassis (no cutting of the dash required). We also offer free custom wiring harness when a replacement radio is purchased from us. Here are the links to the kits and the article about the wiring harness.

Ford Adapter Kit:
M99XXFDKIT Ford DIN Adapter Kit | Magnadyne

Class A Adapter Kit:
Magnadyne M99XXSDKIT | Class A RV Radio Mounting Adapter Kit for M9900 Series Radio Replacement

Article Aboub Wiring Harness:
Replacement Radio Harness Adapter - Magnadyne

Please take a moment to content the Technical Support Team and they can provide you with instructions and choices.

Regards,
Magnadyne Web Master
that's really helpful! thank you!
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

After further searching and consideration I've decided to buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will just plug into the aux inputs on the back of the radio and let me stream audio through it. I think it will work well for what I'm after.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 AM   #16
Just Trying to Help

Matt (Cobalt)-

I also chose to add an input to the existing Magnadyne M9900CDS in my coach.

One of the nice things about owing a Winnebago is that they provide wiring diagrams and installation drawings for their coaches online, at this link. The ones for a 2004 Itasca Sunrise 34D are found here. Examples are the "Dash Radio Installation" and "Front End Wiring Installation."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

My Magnadyne also randomly just shuts down and continued to do it until I started searching for a replacement. The first thing I did was locate a 1,5 DIN adapter ironically sold only by Magnadyne. So I have the adapter ready to go and of course the radio now decides to behave.. my big issue will be moving the Sirius module that's WAY under the dash.

As far as the harness, that's the least of my worries as I can locate everything I need by popping the speakers with AA battery

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTechs View Post
Don,

That is 1.5 din. There would be lots of work to your dash to get a 2"din. We make an Installation kit for Class A & C that would shrink down that footprint. For a single din. You have options. I will attach the requirements for M3. Also I build the wiring harnesses for plug and play any of our radios.

Thank You,
Mag TechsAttachment 165723
Thanks Mag Techs. The M3 is just not going to work on my dash. Howabout coming up with a true 1.5 DIN face as well?

Thanks for the comments from cobalt and others as well!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Hi,

I have a 2004 Itasca 33L. We installed a new radio last year now our cigarette lighter and the radio won't work. Does anyone know where the fuse is to try to fix this?

We located the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel under the lift up control box. There is another in the engine compartment.

We cannot figure out which fuse is the one to the radio and cigarette lighter but the line tests no power.

Any ideas? Thank You, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Radio replaced with Kenwood

I replaced my Magnedyne with a Kenwood single din, and it was a fairly simple job. I installed a black plastic filler plate, to close the gap left from the 1.5 din opening, and it came our decent. My Magnedyne factory radion still works perfectly (and I miss the weather radio feature), but I wanted a USB port for music stored on a mem-stick. (hey, if anyone is in need of a good oem Magnedyne...

Anyway, this is howit turned out, and I simply spliced the wires from the new radio, to a mating connector to the factory radio harness, so it would be a 2 minute swap back to OEM, if I ever wanted to do that. Now that the Kenwood has been in for about a year, I can say I probably will never need the Magnedyne.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=32639
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, itasca, wiring