Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 Itasca 38G Inverter DC breaker issue

Hi, hoping this is the correct forum to use for the best answers.......

I have the 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G with the 300watt inverter (Dimentions), the problem is the 12V DC portion is not working (use the switch, nothing happens). I believe the problem is that it is not getting 12v DC power into it.

Does anyone know which and where the correct breakers that power it are? Is there a fuse, inline or otherwise located to check?

The TV & VCR both work when connected to shore or Gen., just no inverter 12v supply?

I go through the manual the coach came with and it doesn't specify or reference breakers etc?

Any help is welcome help!

Thanks

Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Page 6-3 of the Operator Manual shows the circuit breakers. They are in the bottom of the right hand door in the step well. I believe there is also a fuse in the inverter itself.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Page 6-3 of the Operator Manual shows the circuit breakers. They are in the bottom of the right hand door in the step well. I believe there is also a fuse in the inverter itself.

I know about the reset fuses in the step well and also in the galley cabinet near the main 120 breakers. I push all of them to reset and nothing happens?

I'm not familiar with the one in the inverter? Is it inside it or inline of it? I had it out of the compartment yesturday looking at it. It had a "connection" for the 12v DC imput, which I took a meter to and didn't get any power going into the inverter from the DC side. I did not see an inline fuse anywhere near the "connection". Do you think it is in the inverter itself or further inline the main wiring of the coach?

Also, all the breaker reset switches I found do not have a label stating for inverter, if someone knows which specifically it controls (location) I would be much apprieciated to know.

I can tell you that when the coach is powered up via shore or gen. that the GFCI on the inverter itself does respond properly, and as I said the TV & VCR do work on house 120v.

Thanks again for the reply, this issue has been bugging me for a long while!

Thanks
Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The one in the Inverter is on the face of it. It's like a GFI circuit breaker: Push one button to trip it, and push the other to reset it.

Also the Inverter has an ON switch. Does the witness lite come on when the Inverter is On?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
The one in the Inverter is on the face of it. It's like a GFI circuit breaker: Push one button to trip it, and push the other to reset it.

Also the Inverter has an ON switch. Does the witness lite come on when the Inverter is On?

Thudman

Hi,

I push the little 5v button on face. Also the GFCI looking one on the face only respond when shore or gen power is used, they do not respond on 12v power.

The light does not come on when the switch is on.

thanks
Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This is not going to be easy to explain but here goes:
1. The 300W inverter is defined as option 40B. Option data is shown with a circle around the option number in the drawings.

2. The 30 amp fuse that feeds power to it is shown on pdf page 3 (upper left view BB-BB) http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141293.pdf.

3. The location of that fuse panel is shown in the bottom center of that page (View BA-BA). Views BA-BA and BB-BB both appear to be chassis fuse blocks under the left side dash but I have not found a specific reference to that location yet on pdf page 2. The fuse block is feed from the chassis wiring diagrams

4. The wiring from the fuse block to the inverter is shown on pdf page 8 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141423.pdf. The inverter is on the bottom left of the page. The fuse block is in the top center. I believe the power to the fuse block is via the pass thru stud shown beside the fuse block connector.

5. The complete wiring digram for you unit is located at http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...0167472027.pdf. It includes everthing but many times all you need is portions of it which there is a menu to them located at Table of Contents

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
This is not going to be easy to explain but here goes:
1. The 300W inverter is defined as option 40B. Option data is shown with a circle around the option number in the drawings.

2. The 30 amp fuse that feeds power to it is shown on pdf page 3 (upper left view BB-BB) http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141293.pdf.

3. The location of that fuse panel is shown in the bottom center of that page (View BA-BA). Views BA-BA and BB-BB both appear to be chassis fuse blocks under the left side dash but I have not found a specific reference to that location yet on pdf page 2. The fuse block is feed from the chassis wiring diagrams

4. The wiring from the fuse block to the inverter is shown on pdf page 8 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141423.pdf. The inverter is on the bottom left of the page. The fuse block is in the top center. I believe the power to the fuse block is via the pass thru stud shown beside the fuse block connector.

5. The complete wiring digram for you unit is located at http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...0167472027.pdf. It includes everthing but many times all you need is portions of it which there is a menu to them located at Table of Contents

Dave

Wow, Dave thanks for getting this detail to me, now I no for sure that the issues could be under the dash pod driver area and not in "house".

Yesturday I did looked under the dash pod and found the diagram "8 inside a triangle", and did not see the diagram "7 inside a traingle" that houses 40B fuse. View BB-BB upper left corner of page 3? Maybe it is not under the pod but under the steering wheel????

When I get home tonight from work, I will look better. I'm in CT., so I'm recovering from "Irene". No power yet (using the MH gen for "living"). I'm in the North East corner of the state, so we didn't get slammed like the south and coast. (We're doing good, compared to most) Since I'm in the MH, I figure Id try to fix this issue once and for all.

If anyone can look for the fuse block from their coaches to give me an idea where? I know of the one block under the pod drivers side (view "8 in triangle"). I'll be able to check this forum one more time from work here, but I won't be able to once home (no internet either or wifi, I live in the "boonies" so to speak).

Thanks again

Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The only reference I can find to the inverter is on pages 91 and 92 of the Adventurer Wiring Diagram Book. There is a Yellow 10ga wire marked CM and a White 10ga wire marked CN. Description is "Over Current Protection 15 amp breaker typical" and Inverter Feed.

When you measured for 12vdc at inverter connection, what did you try for ground point? First measure across yellow and white wires, then try yellow to a known good ground and then white to a known good source of 12vdc. this will help determine if it is an open circuit from a connector possible pulling apart.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

I have not had that problem so I regret that I can't offer remedy. One thing that happens to us is when we turn on a desktop fan connected to the desk outlet in the bedroom it will sometimes trip the GFI on the face of the inverter.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The only reference I can find to the inverter is on pages 91 and 92 of the Adventurer Wiring Diagram Book. There is a Yellow 10ga wire marked CM and a White 10ga wire marked CN. Description is "Over Current Protection 15 amp breaker typical" and Inverter Feed.

When you measured for 12vdc at inverter connection, what did you try for ground point? First measure across yellow and white wires, then try yellow to a known good ground and then white to a known good source of 12vdc. this will help determine if it is an open circuit from a connector possible pulling apart.

Hi John,

The only thing I tried was to measure across the yellow & white. I actually disconnected the "2 pin connector" then checked the two wires only. I know very little about this kind of stuff (tracing voltage), I was hoping there's a blown fuse somewhere easy to change. But yes, the wire colors are white & yellow. I did however check all the cig lighter sockets with the meter to make sure the meter worked
Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have not had that problem so I regret that I can't offer remedy. One thing that happens to us is when we turn on a desktop fan connected to the desk outlet in the bedroom it will sometimes trip the GFI on the face of the inverter.

Hi Driver,

While using the inverter or when using shore or gen power?

I was under the impression that the inverter was a separate circuit on its own for 12vdc with the only outlet on the rear of it where the tv & VCR are plugged into it?

Thanks for the info though, something to consider!

Thanks
Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I'm leaving for home, so I won't be able to check this forum until tomorrow at work. Please feel free to keep replying if anyone has something to try or advise. I'll pick up from where I left off if I can't get it working tonight.

Thanks again all for your help :-)

Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy View Post
Hi Driver,

While using the inverter or when using shore or gen power?

I was under the impression that the inverter was a separate circuit on its own for 12vdc with the only outlet on the rear of it where the tv & VCR are plugged into it?
Jon, It will happen when we are connected to shore power. I have not observed the GFI tripping when drawing power directly from the inverter w/o bein g plugged in tot he pedestal.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Driver,
Are you talking about the main inverter or the 300W optional inverter by the TV in the cockpit overhead?
Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Jon,
Based on the pdf page 100 of the parts diagram for your rig, http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...CA/3ifg38g.pdf, BB-BB is in the area of the steering wheel. It almost looks to me like you have to pull a top dash cover (over steering wheel region) off in order to get to the components. I have never seen your seetup so I am guessing based on drawings.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Driver,
Are you talking about the main inverter or the 300W optional inverter by the TV in the cockpit overhead?
Dave, It's the 300Watt inverter in the overhead compartment. Although I have 3 inverters none are over 300W.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=Dave78Chief;944095]This is not going to be easy to explain but here goes:

5. The complete wiring digram for you unit is located at http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...0167472027.pdf. It includes everthing but many times all you need is portions of it which there is a menu to them located at Table of ContentsI

im on a friends cell phone;,,,,,found the 30a fuse it was blown put another one in still don't

Dave[/QUOTE

im on a friends cell phone .....found the 30a fuse it was blown put another one in still not working. the new fuse is also 30a and does work. also it is not getting blown like a short.

what next? (sorry typing with one finger nail)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, was at work earlier. At home now and do have an errand to run. I will look and see what else I can dig up. When you say "the new fuse is also 30a and does work" do you mean you have 12VDC on both sides of the fuse?

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

pulled out inverter checked power going to, has power going in, then light came on flipping switch. light humming sound and light flicking slightly. tv and vcr did not work still. turned off switch and started gen. tv and vcr worked.

turned off gen. tried switch not working again? no light at all again.
checked power and fuse still ok going to inverter. breaker on front doesn't help either.

Do you think it is something with the 12vdc side of inverter ? what should i try next?

thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Sorry, was at work earlier. At home now and do have an errand to run. I will look and see what else I can dig up. When you say "the new fuse is also 30a and does work" do you mean you have 12VDC on both sides of the fuse?

Dave

yes, 12.72vdc engine off, about 14vdc while engine running at fuse block and into 2pin connector. I also believe the 2 pin connector is good too.

Tags
inverter, itasca