Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Jon,
I am deducing eveything based on the documentation so I am making sure I have it clear in my mind:

Based on the Operators manual (http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Suncruiser.pdf; pdf page 107), the 12VDC wiring diagram (link above), the 110VAC wiring diagram (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141021.pdf; pdf pages 2 and 3), and your statement about the generator:

Note: On the 110VAC diagram, pdf page 2 is for a rig designed with a 30 amp shore power plug. Pdf page 3 is for a rig designed with a 50 amp shore power plug.

1 . The inverter detects (ext pwr light?) the presence of 110VAC is available (either shore or gen) and routes that to the Front TV, VCR and Rear TV (default mode when inverter power is OFF). This worked from Gen.
2. If the inverter is ON and 110VAC is not available (shore/gen) then the inverter suppliies 110VAC from the battery. The operators manual does not describe the function of the black/red buttons in the white square on the front of the inverter.
3. You feel 12VDC is now available at the the 2 12VDC pins on the rear of the inverter. If not sure, measure it to be sure.
4. You said the switches on the front of the inverter are in the correct position. If the output breaker was OFF, I doubt the TV/VCR would have worked from the gen.

A. First see if there is tomuch load on the inverter. Turn OFF TV at front panel (and rear TV if applicable) then see if you can just power the VCR from the inverter (off battery). If so, then turn OFF VCR and try just TV. Trying to see if one of the loads (VCR/TV) is drawing to much current.
B. If none of them work off of the the inverter then sorry to say the inverter has gone bad.
C. If one works and anonther does not, then either the inverter is going bad or the load that did not work is drawing to much current.

If the loads are working off of shore/gen and there is 12VDC available at the pins at the rear then it points to a defective inverter.

Do you have any documentation for the inverter? If not, is there any mfg data on it that you could find information for it on web?

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Jon,
I am deducing eveything based on the documentation so I am making sure I have it clear in my mind:

Based on the Operators manual (http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...Suncruiser.pdf; pdf page 107), the 12VDC wiring diagram (link above), the 110VAC wiring diagram (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_141021.pdf; pdf pages 2 and 3), and your statement about the generator:

Note: On the 110VAC diagram, pdf page 2 is for a rig designed with a 30 amp shore power plug. Pdf page 3 is for a rig designed with a 50 amp shore power plug.

1 . The inverter detects (ext pwr light?) the presence of 110VAC is available (either shore or gen) and routes that to the Front TV, VCR and Rear TV (default mode when inverter power is OFF). This worked from Gen.
2. If the inverter is ON and 110VAC is not available (shore/gen) then the inverter suppliies 110VAC from the battery. The operators manual does not describe the function of the black/red buttons in the white square on the front of the inverter.
3. You feel 12VDC is now available at the the 2 12VDC pins on the rear of the inverter. If not sure, measure it to be sure.
4. You said the switches on the front of the inverter are in the correct position. If the output breaker was OFF, I doubt the TV/VCR would have worked from the gen.

A. First see if there is tomuch load on the inverter. Turn OFF TV at front panel (and rear TV if applicable) then see if you can just power the VCR from the inverter (off battery). If so, then turn OFF VCR and try just TV. Trying to see if one of the loads (VCR/TV) is drawing to much current.
B. If none of them work off of the the inverter then sorry to say the inverter has gone bad.
C. If one works and anonther does not, then either the inverter is going bad or the load that did not work is drawing to much current.

If the loads are working off of shore/gen and there is 12VDC available at the pins at the rear then it points to a defective inverter.

Do you have any documentation for the inverter? If not, is there any mfg data on it that you could find information for it on web?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for doing all this detective work for me.

So to recap what I found out:

*. The original 30A fuse was blown
*. Checked fuse block with meter, has 12.72 vdc (engine off), ~ 14VDC (engine running)
*. Replaced with new fuse, now have same voltage upto the 2 pin 12vdc connector.
*. I'm confident that the 2 pin connector is tight and makes good contact.
*. When I pulled the inverter out of cabinet, the unit finally powered up via 12vdc system. Although the inverter light was flickering/fade (not solid/strong on).
*. While inverter "hanging" out of the cabinet apparently powered up, I did try vcr only, then TV, both etc. They never powered up and I made sure they were plugged into the back of the inverter receptical.
*. Then shut off inverter switch, and powered up Gen. to make sure TV & VCR worked still, they did.
*. Turned off Gen. and tried inverter switch again, did not work at all again!
*. 30A fuse still good and still has 12+vdc current going into the 2 pin connector (fuse not blown)
*. So now I'm confident the inverter is getting 12vdc power to it, but not working or something.
*. The black/red button works like a GFCI, it works fine with shore/gen power, but I didn't get a chance to try it when the inverter "appeared" to work.
*. So it is pointing to a defective inverter......?
*. I don't have any info at all on the inverter unit, but the Itasca owners manual says it's Dimentions 300Watt unit.
*. I will try their web site next

Thanks again
Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for doing all this detective work for me.

So to recap what I found out:

*. The original 30A fuse was blown
*. Checked fuse block with meter, has 12.72 vdc (engine off), ~ 14VDC (engine running)
*. Replaced with new fuse, now have same voltage upto the 2 pin 12vdc connector.
*. I'm confident that the 2 pin connector is tight and makes good contact.
*. When I pulled the inverter out of cabinet, the unit finally powered up via 12vdc system. Although the inverter light was flickering/fade (not solid/strong on).
*. While inverter "hanging" out of the cabinet apparently powered up, I did try vcr only, then TV, both etc. They never powered up and I made sure they were plugged into the back of the inverter receptical.
*. Then shut off inverter switch, and powered up Gen. to make sure TV & VCR worked still, they did.
*. Turned off Gen. and tried inverter switch again, did not work at all again!
*. 30A fuse still good and still has 12+vdc current going into the 2 pin connector (fuse not blown)
*. So now I'm confident the inverter is getting 12vdc power to it, but not working or something.
*. The black/red button works like a GFCI, it works fine with shore/gen power, but I didn't get a chance to try it when the inverter "appeared" to work.
*. So it is pointing to a defective inverter......?
*. I don't have any info at all on the inverter unit, but the Itasca owners manual says it's Dimentions 300Watt unit.
*. I will try their web site next

Thanks again
Jon

12 VDC Single Phase Quasi-sine Wave DC to AC Power Inverter Specifications (this is the website)

The model is ADI-12/300,

they have a PDF file on a 2007 model, mine is 2003, but im sure it is the same.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Glad I could help you get to this point at least. Make sure you keep a copy of all those wiring diagrams. Never know when you will need them.

Dave
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Well I'm back to square one, but at least I understand more! Thanks for all your help!!

Thanks
Jon
Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Jon,

If you haven't already, give Dimensions a call. I have one of their larger (2000W) inverters and have called them a couple of times. They have been very easy to talk to and very helpful. If, as it seems, the inverter has failed, they may be able to rebuild it for considerably less than purchasing a new one. Good luck...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I do not have a clue how much these are on the market but here are some that might be worth looking at:
AIRPAX DIMENSIONS POWER INVERTER RV 30 AMPS 300 WATTS | eBay

At least it is price point reference to start with.

Dave
Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Jon,

If you haven't already, give Dimensions a call. I have one of their larger (2000W) inverters and have called them a couple of times. They have been very easy to talk to and very helpful. If, as it seems, the inverter has failed, they may be able to rebuild it for considerably less than purchasing a new one. Good luck...

Thanks Tomsm I did just that!

They told me it is most likey an internal relay. The cost to repair including shipping etc was $177.00. New was $400+.

I wish I was handy enough to fix it here and save more money

Thanks again
Jon
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
I do not have a clue how much these are on the market but here are some that might be worth looking at:

At least it is price point reference to start with.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I saw these also. There used but cost around the same if I had mine repaired.

What to do, what to do! Either way I look at it, the Misses will not like it. (It's not a priority with her).

Thanks for everything!

Jon

Tags
inverter, itasca