Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2000w Inverter / House Batteries

My Vectra has a 2000w Dimensions Inverter (Quasi-sine wave w/ strain relief) and I'm installing 3 Trojan Group 31 batteries to replace the standard batteries. I'm not that 'smart' on the electrical aspects of the inverter system and using power off-grid.

Should I go with AGM or Gel Trojan Group 31 batteries -- have room for 3 in my current battery tray/compartment? OR, what battery set-up do our iRV2 folks recommend?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The Trojan Group 31 AGM is a 100 amp/hr battery

Trojan Group 31 AGM

The Group 31 Deep Cycle Wet Cell battery is 130 amp/hr

Trojan Group 31 SCS225 Deep Cycle Wet Cell

You will get 25% more power with the Deep Cycle Wet Cell batteries. The big advantage of the AGM batteries is that they are maintenance free. The disadvantage is less power and higher cost. If you boondock or dry camp a lot I would go with the Deep Cycle Wet Cell batteries. If you don't dry camp much and don't mind the additional cost, I would go with the AGM batteries.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Even with the bigger batteries, you available amperage is pretty small compared to that inverter. At full power, 1500 watts@120vac those batteries found be below 50% in a very short time. Just be careful what you intend to power is all I'm saying
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies -- to clarify my "off grid" I referred to, probably not the best description as we do not boon dock and will be using to power and electric refrigerator while on the road versus running the generator.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
My Vectra has a 2000w Dimensions Inverter (Quasi-sine wave w/ strain relief) and I'm installing 3 Trojan Group 31 batteries to replace the standard batteries. I'm not that 'smart' on the electrical aspects of the inverter system and using power off-grid.

Should I go with AGM or Gel Trojan Group 31 batteries -- have room for 3 in my current battery tray/compartment? OR, what battery set-up do our iRV2 folks recommend?
Thanks in advance!
ChiefJohn,
Many of us have that Dimensions 2000 watt inverter. There's been a few complaints about them here and there. Some have even been sent back to the factory for rebuilding. We, so far, have had real good luck with ours. It has a 3-stage battery charging system in it that seems to work flawless for us. As far as the 110VAC out put, no complaints in that area either.

As for your batteries. If your tray is the same as ours which, I suspect it's identical, I'd think about changing over to 6V Golf Cart batteries. I won't go into all the detail here and now but, suffice to say that many, many folks are using the 6V setup and are extremely happy with it. Many have come from the factory with the 6V units already in place.

Ours had (3) 12V Interstate House batteries in it when we purchased the coach about 20 months ago and they were only a year old when we got it. Two of them immediately developed bad cells and that was when we decided to go the 6V route. It was a very easy change over. The tray needed no modification what so ever. The wiring was as simple as could be.

Now, you say you might not be doing much "boon docking" which, is the real benefit of the 6V system so, maybe all this might be moot point. But, it's a suggestion and some food for thought. Take care.
Scott
P.S. Below is a couple of pics. The first one is the old setup. The second one is the 6V new setup. Much nicer, cleaner and, way more longevity for camping etc.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the replies -- to clarify my "off grid" I referred to, probably not the best description as we do not boon dock and will be using to power and electric refrigerator while on the road versus running the generator.
In that case I would go with the AGM
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John -- wish my battery tray would hold four of the Group 31s.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Scott, this is the same thing we want to do to our Meridian. Already have a 6 volt set up on the engine side. Were did you get the batteries and the cables??? Thanks, Mark
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

For a 2000 watt inverter you need around 400 amp hours minimum the Trojan G-31's should be aroudn 130 each, that gives you 390 total, that is "Around 400"

If you went with FOUR T-105 wired series/parallel you'd have closer to 450 amp hours. Or you could get GC-2's at Sam's club for a fraction of the price.

IF access for cleaning and distilled watering is not a problem, and from your post I assume it is not, I would go with the Flooded wet cell type. WHY, Cost of course.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Relies/support from this forum is again outstanding! We'll be installing our residential refrigerator next week and are looking forward to saying "Goodbye" to the Norcold (NeverCold)!!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by megehrs View Post
Scott, this is the same thing we want to do to our Meridian. Already have a 6 volt set up on the engine side. Were did you get the batteries and the cables??? Thanks, Mark
Mark,
The batteries are Costco units and were, at the time, $89.00 each. Haven't checked on them in a while so, not sure if the price is the same, up or down???? As for the cables, I used the original outside ones that come from the power sections of the coach. As for the inter-connectors, (the ones in the middle, connecting the batteries together), I made them. They are 1 GA cable & lugs. I had no crimpping tool for lugs that size at the time so, I stripped the cable back the correct amount and soldered them. I like that connection better anyway. It's a prefference thing. Also, as you can see in the photos, the inter-connectors have black paint for negative hookup on one end and, red tape for positive hookup on the other. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Relies/support from this forum is again outstanding! We'll be installing our residential refrigerator next week and are looking forward to saying "Goodbye" to the Norcold (NeverCold)!!
You will never regret getting the residential fridge and getting rid of the NorCrap.

We have a 2000W PSW Magnum Energy inverter and it runs the residential fridge just fine while traveling. Of course, your house batteries are being charged while you are running down the road.

We have three group 29 wet cell batteries and plan to replace them with four 6V GC2 batteries sometime soon.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scott. I will check at Costco and at Sam's Club as well. I have access to a crimping tool, but I like soldering better as well. Will try and reproduce what you have done in out unit when it comes out of storage in April. Ours is almost a twin to yours so the battery trays are the same. Still don't have my inverter running while plugged in at the storage unit. I assume the cause is the dead batts in front and back. Only have 1 volt in each right now. May put a charger on them this weekend. Will let you know or give you a call... Mark
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
ChiefJohn,
Many of us have that Dimensions 2000 watt inverter. There's been a few complaints about them here and there. Some have even been sent back to the factory for rebuilding. We, so far, have had real good luck with ours. It has a 3-stage battery charging system in it that seems to work flawless for us. As far as the 110VAC out put, no complaints in that area either.

As for your batteries. If your tray is the same as ours which, I suspect it's identical, I'd think about changing over to 6V Golf Cart batteries. I won't go into all the detail here and now but, suffice to say that many, many folks are using the 6V setup and are extremely happy with it. Many have come from the factory with the 6V units already in place.

Ours had (3) 12V Interstate House batteries in it when we purchased the coach about 20 months ago and they were only a year old when we got it. Two of them immediately developed bad cells and that was when we decided to go the 6V route. It was a very easy change over. The tray needed no modification what so ever. The wiring was as simple as could be.

Now, you say you might not be doing much "boon docking" which, is the real benefit of the 6V system so, maybe all this might be moot point. But, it's a suggestion and some food for thought. Take care.
Scott
P.S. Below is a couple of pics. The first one is the old setup. The second one is the 6V new setup. Much nicer, cleaner and, way more longevity for camping etc.

You have answered a question of mine in how to wire up 4 6 volt Golf cart batteries, Thanks!
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
If you are installing a residential refer, run, don't walk to your nearest trash can carring your Demented MSW Inverter, whether it 'works' or not. The point is, the Demented is a MSW unit. Get a PSW Inverter with a 3 stage charger. The brand of choice these days is Magnum. Minimum size would probably be 2KW.

Install properly sized cables from your battery to the inverter/charger. 4/0 is good. 1/0 is bad, get rid of them.

Install a battery monitor. I have a Xantrex. Magnum probably makes one.

Battery choice is your call. I have four 6 volt AGMs in my tray, 440 amp hours. I would never have anything else.

Did 'Bago change battery tray sizes from 2006 to 2008?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, inverter