Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2000 horizon high CO reading

I have a 36 foot 2000 horizon and when the water is running on propane the CO monitor in the bedroom goes up to at least 100. We can also smell the waterheater exhaust. Is this a normal situation? I have only owned this motorhome since August so I am still learning about it. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot
Paulewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't understand, "..when the water is running on propane.." Do you mean the water heater running on propane? Unless you are getting water from near fracking fields, running water shouldn't have noxious gases in it. It's not normal for the water heater exhaust to come into the motor home except if windows are open and the wind is just right, or you have a roof vent fan on. I'd strongly recommend you check the flame in water heater for correct adjustment, (blue flame, very little yellow) and that the exhaust has no obstructions. Close any windows above the heater on that side of the RV when operating water heater.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not good
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

check for dust or spider webs around the gas orifice and blow it out
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My 2000 Horizon that I have owned since new does the same thing. Therefore I don't run the water heater on propane and the basement furnace at the same time. My feeling is that since the water heater and basement furnace are located in close proximity to each other the exhaust from the water heater is entering the fresh air input of the basement furnace.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
My 2000 Horizon that I have owned since new does the same thing. Therefore I don't run the water heater on propane and the basement furnace at the same time. My feeling is that since the water heater and basement furnace are located in close proximity to each other the exhaust from the water heater is entering the fresh air input of the basement furnace.
If this were true, the exhaust from the WH would only be drawn in to the ignition chamber of the furnace. All air that comes out the registers was drawn from the return duct inside the RV. The outside air used for combustion and the exhaust should never mix with the interior air UNLESS you've got a hole in the heat exchanger or the WH and furnace aren't properly installed or ducted. It sounds like you've got an extremely dangerous condition and needs looked at before using either system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Is your water heater under a window that is opened or not sealing correctly? Do I understand correctly that this only happens when the basement air is running?

Just a thought. On my '05 Vectra the basement air rear vertical duct to the ceiling vents came apart. I never had co problems but I did have poor AC. I noticed a frost line on the rear cowling. That was a clue for me to investigate. What a pain to repair. If your water heater exhaust is finding its way into such a void in the HVAC system this could be the source of your problems.