Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Me again. 2001 Itasca 35U. I had a thread on this last month and never could figure out the problem. Problem is that batteries go to 10v within 1 hour of being off shore power even with nothing on. Batteries have been checked under load and hydrometer.

In Vegas now and had a very knowledgable tech look at it. He had seen a problem in the past involving the solar panel. The red light has never come on on my panel. He checked on the roof and got 18.5v at the panel. Using the schematics, we found where those wires come into a plug at the Energy Mgt Sys Panel. the other side of the plug goes to a thin gauge wire to the solar panel light on the EMS.

Heres the mystery: the plug FROM the solar panel has 12.5v on it. The side of the plug from the EMS has 18.5v! These were plugged together! Cannot figure out how 18.5v is getting on the EMS panel when it should be on the plug coming from the roof? AND, how come things don't go pow when these 2 plugs are connected since they are both hot?

Also, does anyone know where the Isolator/Battery relay is physically located on the 35U. The schematic says it is in the compartment in front of the steps...it is in neither compartment that we could find.

Thanks! Steve
Old 11-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Me again. 2001 Itasca 35U. I had a thread on this last month and never could figure out the problem. Problem is that batteries go to 10v within 1 hour of being off shore power even with nothing on. Batteries have been checked under load and hydrometer.

In Vegas now and had a very knowledgable tech look at it. He had seen a problem in the past involving the solar panel. The red light has never come on on my panel. He checked on the roof and got 18.5v at the panel. Using the schematics, we found where those wires come into a plug at the Energy Mgt Sys Panel. the other side of the plug goes to a thin gauge wire to the solar panel light on the EMS.

Heres the mystery: the plug FROM the solar panel has 12.5v on it. The side of the plug from the EMS has 18.5v! These were plugged together! Cannot figure out how 18.5v is getting on the EMS panel when it should be on the plug coming from the roof? AND, how come things don't go pow when these 2 plugs are connected since they are both hot?

Also, does anyone know where the Isolator/Battery relay is physically located on the 35U. The schematic says it is in the compartment in front of the steps...it is in neither compartment that we could find.

Thanks! Steve
Old 11-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The solar panel does go into to the "One Place".

If you take your one place apart, you will see the board with all the LED's for the tank monitors, remove that board from the standoffs.

If you look closely at one corner of the board, you will see the LED for the solar panel, and 3 other diods. On mine, I had similar problem, my LED was burnt, and so was one of the diodes. Simple replacement with Radio Shack Parts, and the pannel was working fine again. If you poke around with a multimeter, you will see raw voltage coming into the baord from the pannel (Depending on how much sun is hitting the pannel.) should be at point SOin and then you should see the "Clamped" voltage at 13.6 or so coming out of the board at SOout. Yes, my board was hot before I changed the diodes also.

I don't think this is your problem though. The pannel is VERY low wattage, and is really only ment for a maintainter to your chassis batts.

Pull your batts, charge them both fully, then let them rest. Re check them with no loads after they have rested, and see if they are holding a charge. If they are orginal, they are at the end of thier life cycle.

Go get new batts, and install them. I got Interstates from an interstate dealer for less than $70.00 a piece.

Every winnie I have seen so far has had those relays in the front most bay on the drivers side. They are mounted to the front wall of that compartment. I have neever looked close at a Sunflyer though...

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 AM   #4

My "LED BOARD" was just replaced due to my LED light blinking rapidly during the daylight hours. I understand that I wasnt getting any voltage from the solar charger.

I agree with "Moder2"...you should either replace the board or check voltage at the diodes and replace them (I would replace the whole board)

Mark
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

how old are the batteries?
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks guys. Forgot that we had beat the battery horse bad in the first post: they are <6mo's old; they have been load tested; they've been hydrometer checked and all cells good; they hold a full charge forever if disconnected from the house.

I'll have to agree that the solar couldn't cause the kind of draw we're getting---still a curiosty how voltage could be on both sides of the plug?

Nothing in the driver side comaprtments.

Thanks for the counsel thus far. Steve
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Well, It's pretty simple that you have voltage on both sides of the plug for your solar. One side comes from the pannel, which is putting out power to charge, the other side is coming from a "not totally discharged" battery. When you put a charger on any battery that isn't completely flat there is always power on the hot side.

Not if you have the intellitec BIRD system, you could have the house and chassis batts tied together, and house load is dragging them down. The Solar pannel only charges the chassis batts.

Try calling winnie customer service. They are generally helpful in locating things!

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote