Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

12 Volt Issues

Just picked up our 2014 Vista 35F two days ago and think we might already have a converter issue. Yesterday, the Norcold refer started giving us a "dc LO" indication, then later an "LI oP". When I shut off the Coach Batt switch, all of the overhead lights and refer turn off. We are plugged into 50 amp shore connection. Until we get it back to the dealer, we have to start up the engine to charge the batteries every four hours or so, when the refer starts beeping at us. In the meantime, any recommendations?
Ken-N-Liesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you measured the DC voltage on the battery banks yet? That will tell you immediately if the converter is operational. Just after running the engine for a bit to charge them up, measure the voltage while disconnected from shore power. It should be in the 12.6V area. Then plug in shore power and the voltage should jump up to 13.6V or so.

Let us know the readings.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You normally have two disconnect switches....one is for the engine battery and the second (coach) is for the house batteries. I am not sure how your system is set up, but my engine running does not charge the house batteries....I must run the generator or plug into shore power to charge them....if your generator is not charging your house batteries, you have a converter problem....even if the shore power does charge your house batteries, the generator should also....however these are different circuits in your converter.....my "generator side" crumped out last year...and would not charge the house batteries, but my shore power would....all of this would be under warranty...new converter and away you go.....
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have a converter/charger, you want to check the 120v circuit breakers. The converter could be on a GFI outlet, so make sure no GFIs are tripped. Next I would check the converter for blown fuses or breakers.

However, I would think you have an inverter/charger. If so, check your manual for operation of charging and it should also have circuit breakers.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have owned two Winnebago motorhomes ... on both units the "control" for the refrigerator and the hot water heater is powered by the house batteries ... so when you disconnect the house batteries I would expect the fridge, the hot water heater, and the interior lights to go off. I would expect yours to behave similarly.

I have power in my storage facility ... I never disconnect my house batteries.

Have you checked the connections on your batteries?

Have you checked to see if your house batteries are defective?

My priority of checking for the problem ... corroded or loose battery connection, bad battery, then finally bad converter.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The coach battery switch SHOULD disconnect all internal DC circuits, that's what it's for. It also disconnects batteries to inverter/converter/charger, what ever you have. As Jim_HiTek said, use a multimeter and check. Charged batteries should be at 12.6 v. When engine alternator, generator, or on shore power you should read 13+ volts. Check fuses and circuit breakers, not just in panels but on generator, converter/inverter/charger too. Remember, turn CB off, then on again, they can look on when actually they are tripped. Good luck with it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The coach battery switch SHOULD disconnect all internal DC circuits, that's what it's for. It also disconnects batteries to inverter/converter/charger, what ever you have. .
Not true. On my previous coach (Winnebago) as well as my current coach (Tiffin), the inverter/charger is connected directly to the house batteries. That is so that the house (and possibly the chassis) batteries will be charged any time that the coach is plugged in.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-N-Liesl View Post
Just picked up our 2014 Vista 35F two days ago and think we might already have a converter issue. Yesterday, the Norcold refer started giving us a "dc LO" indication, then later an "LI oP". When I shut off the Coach Batt switch, all of the overhead lights and refer turn off. We are plugged into 50 amp shore connection. Until we get it back to the dealer, we have to start up the engine to charge the batteries every four hours or so, when the refer starts beeping at us. In the meantime, any recommendations?
In your panel above the TV, turn on the inverter and see if it works. It should power the TVs and one or two outlets, not sure how many.
The inverter /charger is located on the curb side in compartment with the half bath dump/ macerator. Check to see if it needs to be reset.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post

Not true. On my previous coach (Winnebago) as well as my current coach (Tiffin), the inverter/charger is connected directly to the house batteries. That is so that the house (and possibly the chassis) batteries will be charged any time that the coach is plugged in.
Mine is the same way with no inverter. Switching the BDS off, still leaves the converter to charge batteries, as well as the BDS does not cut the power to safety systems. This is more common than not.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ken-N-Liesl Looks like there was a model change with the addition of the Fireplace.
There is a 110vac recp near the breaker panel either under the refrigerator or behind the cabinet near the door depending on model. The converter should be plugged into this recp. I also noted the recp for the converter is controlled by the EMS along with the refrigerator and water heater. Lots of possibilities but a place to start. If you are not going to be back to the dealer soon just pickup a battery charger and connect it to the coach batteries when you are parked.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am plugged into a 50 amp receptacle, so the 12 volt system should be powered by the 110 volt converter, not the batteries. I wouldn't expect the batteries to be providing the 12 volt power while I'm plugged in, and the batteries should be charging. I can effectively charge the house batteries by running the engine, which provides me with a few, to several hours of charge, depending on what is running. I understand that the house battery disconnect switch disconnects the batteries from the 12 volt system, but should the converter continue to provide the 12 volts while the batteries are disconnected? I've looked everywhere and cannot locate the converter. I've placed a float charger on the batteries to see if it will keep the voltage from dropping too low for the refrigerator to operate. There is no outlet under the refrigerator. There is a GFCI outlet near the entry door, but nothing is plugged into it. I've removed the panel under the sink behind the circuit breakers, but there is nothing behind. I've also removed the register below the stove and did not see any converter under there or beneath the refrigerator. I've also tried shutting off and resetting all circuit breakers. No joy.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Also, the inverter appears to be operating correctly, and provides the voltage of the batteries. I keep it off, as it will draw down the batteries quickly.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ken, why is the battery switch off?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The converter is on the floor behind the Load Center.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Make sure the battery connections are tight.

I think Winnebago removes one of the battery cables instead of using the battery disconnect. When they need battery power, they just slip the cable back on hand-tight.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

OK, just got back from the dealer service. The converter is under the sink, behind a panel towards the back (thus well out of sight), and was never plugged in. All is now well. BTW, I just tested my theory and shut off the coach battery disconnect switch, while plugged into shore power, and the 12 volt system stayed on, just as I suspected. The coach battery switch only disconnects the batteries from the 12 volt system for storage, nothing more. It does not shut down the 12 volt system while plugged into shore power, provided you have a properly functioning converter that is plugged in. Thanks all.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-N-Liesl View Post
I am plugged into a 50 amp receptacle, so the 12 volt system should be powered by the 110 volt converter, not the batteries.
The way that I understand Winnebago coaches to operate is that 12V DC is ALWAYS supplied by the house batteries. It is the job of the converter to generate 12V DC to charge the battery bank whenever you are plugged into 120 V AC shore power .. My '99 Adventurer had a converter to keep the batteries charged and a small inverter to power the TV and VCR ... our '04 Journey has an inverter/charger ... the charger half keeps the 12V batteries charged when I am plugged into shore power and the shore power energizes the 120V outlets ... when I am not plugged in the inverter energizes the 120V outlets getting the energy from the house batteries (when I turn it on).

My 12V lights are always powered from my house battery bank.

A charger does what the name says ... it charges the battery ... it never replaces the supply function of the house batteries.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

skigramp, From an electrical perspective the coach batteries and the converter(charger) are in parallel. The current flow will always be from the highest voltage source to the load. When the coach is plugged into shore power the converter(charger) will be the highest voltage source and current will be flowing from the converter to the coach loads and to the batteries, depending on there level of charge. The only time current will flow from the batteries when connected to shore power is if the load exceeds the amp rating of the converter(charger) or the converter is not working.