Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

12 Volt Breaker Problem

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon. Over the last several trips out I have had a problem with the one of the 12 volt breakers. This circuit that this breaker controls is the one that handles the bathroom vanity light, the light in the shower and the light in the bedroom. If just one of the lights are on it is no problem. If more that one of the lights are turned on at once within a couple of minutes all of the lights begin to bling and then the breaker is tripped. I have owned the motorhome for over 3 years and this just started happening over the last several months. Is this simply a case of a breaker going bad? While I am no electrician, I am confident that I can replace the breaker myself. Is there anything else I should check in addition to replacing the breaker?

Thanks as always for the comments.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

If the breaker trips with any combination of the 3 lights then I would have to agree with you that it sounds like a breaker going South.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Check the wires to the breaker and be sure they are tight and located under the lug properly. Sometimes they work loose and heat up due to arching.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #4

When did they start installing breakers for 12 volt systems versus fuses? All of my 12 volt coach systems are protected with numerous fuses. All of my 120 volt systems are protected with breakers.

Please enlighten me to where these 12 volt breakers are located? You have me very curious now as to what these are.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

For a quick test, you could move the lights to another breaker. If they light normally then you know it is the breaker.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
When did they start installing breakers for 12 volt systems versus fuses? All of my 12 volt coach systems are protected with numerous fuses. All of my 120 volt systems are protected with breakers.

Please enlighten me to where these 12 volt breakers are located? You have me very curious now as to what these are.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Winnebago has been doing it for a long time, evidently Monaco uses fuses, not breakers.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #7

Thanks, John.

I've never been inside of a Winnebago but I will have to go see one. I like the idea of the breakers versus fuses. It's probably easier to find versus a blown fuse and cheaper too.

I've been doing some wiring on my coach and have gone through a bunch of fuses over the past month or so.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Thanks, John.

I've never been inside of a Winnebago but I will have to go see one. I like the idea of the breakers versus fuses. It's probably easier to find versus a blown fuse and cheaper too.

I've been doing some wiring on my coach and have gone through a bunch of fuses over the past month or so.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
There is no doubt that the breakers are very easy to reset. Unfortunately, this particular one that I am dealing with keeps tripping.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Pull the bulbs and clean the bases... bathroom especially. Corrosion in the base of the bulb creates resistance. High resistance requires more amps... surpass the amp rating of the fuse and pop!

Also check the ground wires for each bulb... a corroded ground has the same effect.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

GaDawgFan,
Breakers wear out. Each time a breaker trips it becomes weaker and the sensing current is lower, not by much but lower. I read somewhere that for a 120 volt breaker, after 6 trips and resets the breaker should be replaced because it will trip at a lower than rated trip current. You can verify this by a quick call to the manufacturer.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Just to set the record straight, higher resistance doesn't mean more current, it means less. (Remember Ohm's law is I = V/R). However, when connections are bad there is an I squared R (power) loss due to current through the resistance. This makes heat and can cause problems including ultimately a fire.

It is also true that when a breaker starts tripping the mechanism will ultimately be damaged and the breaker will need to be replaced. As others have said, just replace the breaker. They are not expensive and are not hard to replace. Also, while 12 volts proably won't shock you, shorting the battery from plus to minus (ground) will make a mini welder, so don't do that.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote