Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Going back to the November 30th discussion about problem with Winnebago's 3 12 volt battery system vs most of the industry
using 4 6 volt golf cart batteries...I was in discussion with Interstate Battery over the problem that I have had since taking
delivery of my coach and the fact that the dealer swapped the 12 Volt Interstate series 31 for the series 29 because the dealer could
not get the series 31 thru the Interstate distributor and when I contacted Interstate they told me they were discontinuing the series
31 and I would be better off with the 29's. Well that lasted for few months until I started noticing that while dry camping the batteries would drop from a 12.5 volt charge to below 11.8 by morning, by just running the front T.V. with surround sound for a few hours and then retiring to the bedroom running the LCD Sharp for T.V for a few more and maybe the heater kicking in a few times during the night. I had the batteries in twice to the dealer for
the problem but they said they were fine it was just the nature of the beast with this size rig....Well I contacted Interstate again
and they admitted they know that their is a problem with the design of using 3 twelve volts vs 4 6 volt and will be in discussion with
Winnebago after the first of the year because of all the complaints with the batteries. Interstate attempted to get Winnebago to allow
me to exchange the 3 12 volts for 4 6 volts and be a test case for them. Winnebago ended up denying the exchange and said that the
rack was not designed to carry the 6 volts due to its size. Well I decided I had enough and contacted a independent r/v dealer that
does a lot of work on all types of coaches. He stated that the 4 6 volt batteries would give me much more reserve capacity than 12 volt deep cycle because of the way they are made. He told me that if I was to change out the batteries he would only recomend the Trojan T
105's (6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries, because of problems he had with Interstate's over the years with returns due to over
heating and buldging after continous recharges). I went out and purchase 4 Trojans T 105 and they do fit on the Winnebago rack (
14.2" by 23") without a problem. Infact I was able to use all the existing cables without replacing any. The top clearance to battery
rack fame is approx 1/8 to 1/4 inches using the Trojan T 105. I am headed off next week for two weeks and will be doing a bit of dry
camping putting the new batteries to the test. I will post the out come when I get back and hopefully there will be quite a difference
in the batteries being able to hold a charge compared to before.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Winnie doesn't like to deviate at all from their standard coach engineering. Perhaps they do not want any variances in the standard product to deal with. I couldn't even get them to install a Splendide 2100 instead of the 2000 when we ordered the coach!

If the Trojans fit, i.e., no clearance issues or cable problems, and the weight is not too much for the tray, you should enjoy improved battery performance.

It would be great if you could post some pictures.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Trojan has a new 12V deep cycle battery J150 with more capacity than the stock 30XHS.
Click here and then the click J150 products fact sheet.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Product...lProducts.aspx
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We had one of the three stock 30XHS units boil over on us last January. We thought we got it rehabilitated (being guided by Trojan) but when it was in the dealer for 2 months in May/June they boiled over on the dealer - who then put in 3 Interstates.

We now have 4 Interstate 6V batteries and what a difference. Dealer or factory overfilled them (sadly, half their people don't know their elbow from their armpits - they were right to the top) and I lowered to the proper level just above the plates. No solution loss in 3 months and they are performing very well. I use the infrared thermometer to check the temperature periodically as well.

A real surprise has been the 2 Interstate 12V chassis batteries. They seem to be much better than the no-names (can't remember what they were) we had in the Journey. We arrived here Nov 1 and today they are still reading 12.71 volts. The difference is the cut-off switch -really works well. Given the switch in now on the Winnies that should solve a lot of problems. Unfortunately, I have to turn it on to put the awning in and out. I'm now wondering if I'll ever have to use the Battery Minder again. Since we are heading back north for Xmas in the toad in the morning I'm debating running the BM today and letting it do the desulphication process. That way I can still justify the purchase.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This web site has to be the most informative I seen yet on
batteries..one thing that stood out is under the "Basics" R/V marine
batteries are good for no more than 30 full discharge cycles where
golf cart batteries are good for 180 cycles. Winnebago needs to re-
think there battery application on their units with all the items
that require constant drains. Thanks again for the web
site..everyone should read it.
Here is the web site http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

Old 12-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by kenbt:
This web site has to be the most informative I seen yet on
batteries..one thing that stood out is under the "Basics" R/V marine
batteries are good for no more than 30 full discharge cycles where
golf cart batteries are good for 180 cycles. Winnebago needs to re-
think there battery application on their units with all the items
that require constant drains. Thanks again for the web
site..everyone should read it.
Here is the web site http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html
Agreed. Winnie should also close in the battery compartment. Mine was filthy on delivery and very rusty and I've looked at several 06's and same thing.

My HR is MUCH cleaner and in comparison a pleasure to open. Having said that, I'm going to keep and eye on the compartment and use Extend or something similar at the first sign of any rust.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I posted a picture (first time for me I hoped its in the right location) of the swap out of 12 volt batteries for 6 volt batteries in my 2005 Vectra 36RD. I put the picture in the catagory of "Modifications & Repairs" and the title is RV Battery 1. Was not sure how to put in more than one photo.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by kenbt:
Ok, I posted a picture .........
Where?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Good pix kenbt, I'd like to do that with my rig but that 1/8 to 1/4" clearance has been bothering me. That rack can move up when closing and the thought of dreading the pos battery post across that top lip gives me the willies. I've been thinking of cutting a little out of that lip.
John C. what do you think, you're always coming up with great mods? I really would like to dump those 12V batteries.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by dleslie125:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenbt:
Ok, I posted a picture .........
Where? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top of this page on right,click on "photos" link.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yes the top battery clearance to the opening is close and I looked at cutting that little bit out of the metal molding (the best I can describe it). The area that you would cut out of the molding does not appear to be a problem from what I can see. It does not appear to have any real application in that area other than that is what they used in other areas of the coach on that side and just carried it across the opening out of ease. So if you placed two cuts approx 1/2 deep and spaced the approx width of the batteries in that molding and then bent it back and up that would give you more clearance.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I cut out 1/4 inches of the molding piece that gave it such close clearance. It was easy to do with a dremmel and fiber blades. It took ten minutes and I now have more than enough clearance on the cables.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks kenbt,
I'm going to the "Q" late Jan. and probably get the new batteries there. Will do the cutting after the holidays. Lotta help, good posting.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote