Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

1157 brake light bulb vs. LED equivalent

I had to replace a 1157 brake light bulb on my 2005 Itasca. I noticed that the bulb is also available as an LED bulb, which I would like to try. But on the packaging, it notes that it may not work without a resistor.

Has anyone switched over their 1156 and 1157 bulbs to LED's? Would like to know if you had to add a resistor and if you've had any issues. Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I bought a set of LED lights for my jeep tow....wasn't sure how they would work, no mention about needing resistors. Am very pleased that they are a bit brighter and have had them for awhile and works fine.....no problem. My RV has LED's factory installed....
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I had to replace a 1157 brake light bulb on my 2005 Itasca. I noticed that the bulb is also available as an LED bulb, which I would like to try. But on the packaging, it notes that it may not work without a resistor.

Has anyone switched over their 1156 and 1157 bulbs to LED's? Would like to know if you had to add a resistor and if you've had any issues. Thank you. -RT
On our last coach I replaced the tail lights with LEDs. They were a lot brighter but the signal flasher would not work with them. Had to purchase a special signal flasher in order for them to work. They don't draw enough amps.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, led, light