Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

110 Outlets not working with inverter

I have a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser and when the coach is running with the inverter on the 110 outlets don't have power. When under shore power they work fine but i have noticed that i have had to reset the GFCI in the kitchen after the transition to shore power for them to work the last couple trips. Anyone have any ideas??

2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
Pirate_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You'll have to check the inverter to be sure it's circuit breaker isn't tripped. When shore power (or generator) is providing 120v, the inverter switches to those sources to save your batteries. If it's not providing power when no other 120v sources are available, it's most likely a breaker. Check that it's got 12v from the batteries, and test that it's putting out 120v AC.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I should have explained further that the residential fridge and microwave work fine and are powered by the inverter, its just the 110 wall units that arent working.. like i said in the first post is the other odd thing is that when switching to shore power i have to reset the GFCI.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
in our '16 suncruiser only 2 or 3 outlets are connected to the inverter. this is by design. that may be a part of your issue. it's also not uncommon for a number of outlets to become dead when a GFI is tripped.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Pirate_Mike, sounds like you are not getting 12VDC to the inverter. Cycle the battery disconnect switch for the inverter a couple of times, the contacts maybe dirty. There is also a large fuse in the line feeding the inverter from the batteries. It is located by the coach batteries.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_Mike View Post
I should have explained further that the residential fridge and microwave work fine and are powered by the inverter, its just the 110 wall units that arent working.. like i said in the first post is the other odd thing is that when switching to shore power i have to reset the GFCI.
Not all of your outlets are on your inverter....
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_186520.pdf
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

rk911 -- is there any where documented which outlets work through the inverter? I'm thinking the kitchen outlet used to work, not absolutely positive though. I'm also thinking something is going on since when i switch to shore power i have to reset the GFCI in the kitchen.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
rk911 -- is there any where documented which outlets work through the inverter? I'm thinking the kitchen outlet used to work, not absolutely positive though. I'm also thinking something is going on since when i switch to shore power i have to reset the GFCI in the kitchen.
might be in your owner's manual. we just unplugged from the post and then tested every outlet. took maybe 10-min. we have one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen/main salon and another in the front cabinets for the electronics.
the fridge and microwave also work.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I don't know the particulars of your specific coach but it's fairly unlikely that any of your kitchen outlets are wired to work off the inverter. Your coach documentation will identify all the receptacles that work off the inverter. You could also download a wiring diagram linked at the top of the Winnebago forum if you don't already have those.

If your coach is like most mid priced motorhomes then your residential fridge and possibly your TV/Entertainment systems will work off the inverter. Most other 110v receptacles will not be powered off the inverter.

As for why your GFCI trips when transitioning from inverter to shore power that is also a challenging problem. On my Suncruiser I have to reset the GFCI every few months. Not sure what causes it to trip.

Hope this helps some.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Go to the Winnebago site and look up your MH info and go to the drawings for 110v. This will let you know exactly which outlets are powered by the Inverter.
If you place the model # of your MH in your description it would help us help you better.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Not sure about your inverter, but mine has a GFI outlet and breaker on it. As well as another GFI outlet and breaker in the bathroom. Very rarely, I need to reset one or the other. You might check to see that you have only one GFI breaker?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Look at the document I uploaded....specifically on page 8...that will show you what outlets are wired to the inverter...go from there.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Look at the document I uploaded....specifically on page 8...that will show you what outlets are wired to the inverter...go from there.
Well I was all wrong. Thanks for the link to the wiring diagram. Looks like the OP question is answered on Sheet 7, page 8. Quite a few receptacles are powered by the inverter.

Maybe I'm misreading the diagram but it looks like the inverter for this coach is 1000 watts. I would guess the microwave is -/+ 750 watts, the fridge is probably +/- 500 watts. Add to that all the available receptacles on the inverter and it seems like it could be fairly easy to over load the inverter with this configuration.

Great info and discussion. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

According to the 2015 Suncruiser Brochure the 37F has a 2,000 watt inverter/charger.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Pirate_Mike, by looking at the drawing for your coach see what devices you have plugged in down stream of the GFCI there my be something that is leaking a little ground current when power is applied and tripping the GFCI but ok after resetting or could be a bad CFGI,
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
According to the 2015 Suncruiser Brochure the 37F has a 2,000 watt inverter/charger.
Sounds more reasonable.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for all the replies... I haven't had a chance to unplug it from shore power to test it. When i do, i will make sure all the outlets on that circuit areclear to see if the GFCI still trips. If it does i'll replace it and go from there. Much appreciate the input

Old 06-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Pirate Mike, Check the connections on the breakers at the breaker panel and also on the GFI. They have a habit of coming loose and causing problems.

"I'm glad I don't live in a trailer" Jimmy Buffet, You Had To Be There.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Pirate Mike, Check the connections on the breakers at the breaker panel and also on the GFI. They have a habit of coming loose and causing problems.

"I'm glad I don't live in a trailer" Jimmy Buffet, You Had To Be There.

Yep, go thru each one and make sure the connections are tight.

Tags
inverter