Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

110 outlet over dinette

Anyone replaced the 110 outlet over the dinette? Ours died(the only one dead in the coach) and after removing the unit,it doesn't look like the normal ones I'm used to. Just curious if I could replace with a regular outlet found in stick houses?
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You should be able to use a regular 120v outlet, but make sure to put it in a blue plastic shallow box if the ground wire is attached to the outlet's ground, or a metal box if the ground is attached to metal.

Are you sure it's the only outlet? Is there a GFI outlet in the bathroom that this "bad" outlet is downstream of? If so, your problem could simply be a bad GFI outlet which occurs with some amount of regularity
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The hair dryer worked on the GFI outlets in the bathroom and galley.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
IC2
Winnebago Camper

I've replaced a couple in this current 5er and used the shallow "old work" box and a premium Leviton receptacle and cover. You will possibly have to enlarge the hole a little to get the box in, but since most RV's only have 5/32s" paneling for interior walls, quite easy. Supposedly those 'special' RV receptacles are better protection, but quite frankly, and only my opinion, they are only used to make it easier for building these units. For no better word - they are cheaply made - or at least what my last three RV's have had.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If your dinette is on a slide I would check any junction boxes upstream.

You should be able to find a replacement at a mobile home parts house, maybe ACE hardware. If it is indeed bad, would be easier to replace with same type. The wire runs thru these units, and mounting is done by corner tabs.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had one go bad, but it couldn't be replaced by a house outlet, at least not easily. I ordered 2 because I was adding one to the bedroom.

While waiting for them to arrive, I completely removed the bad outlet. Since I didn't see anything obvious, I re-attached the wires and tightened them down good, been working fine for a year now.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This one does not have screws for the wires but lay across and press down between connectors.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'd put a meter across those two wires and see if power is there. If so, I'd then try to reset the wires back into the connectors. Pretty crappy way to make an electrical connection if you ask me, but it is what it is.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Metering the two wires, white and black, with a volt meter will tell you if it is the outlet or the wiring. If you have voltage across the wires then it most likely is the outlet. If you don't have voltage across the wires then the problem is somewhere else in the wiring. Most newer MH's have two GFCI circuits and there is no telling what is wired to each one unless you do the "test" of the GFCI and then meter each receptacle to see if the power is their or not. So look for a second GFCI outlet.

Good luck.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I believe the units used in RV's are "Thinner" also they are not designed to be put in a box but are "Self boxing" as it were... I like them NOT!

IF there is room behind the outlet for a standard box.. Then yes, you can put in a standard outlet and box.

If not,,, Try to find a 'Thin wall" outlet and box.. they do make 'em.

Option 3 is a "Sticks out" outlet and box, they make those too but harder to find.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Here's the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach, and here's the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation diagram. The dinette outlet doesn't appear to be on a GFCI circuit, but does appear to be on the same circuit as the receptacles up front for the TV, satellite, etc.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

OK that's it. No power to the front outlet for tv/sat. Now how do I fix that? No breakers are tripped. No problems 2 weekends back on our last trip. Coach on shore power here at home like it always has been for the last nine years.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a tripped breaker on the inverter or it malfunctioning....if you have one that is.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

If there is no box in the wall what in the world is the receptacle mounted too? If there is any kind of standard box recessed into the wall and a standard receptacle will not fit "Wiremold" makes a surface mounted box that will attach to the box in the wall for added depth so you can install a household receptacle.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

As stated above that outlet is press fitted with clamps behind the wallboard. Also,all 3 outlets on that circuit are dead so there is probably a problem with either a breaker or a fuse I haven't found. Still open to advice or clues. Thanks to all so far.

My inverter only powers those three outlets and it won't stay on. Gives an E05 message after about 5 seconds. I'll take the inverter out of the circuit tomorrow when there is daylight to see under the house batteries under the entry step.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

First thing to do is turn OFF, then ON, the relevant breaker (should be 15A, third breaker from the left, possibly labelled BRN. Sometimes a tripped breaker will look like it's on when it's not. If that fixes things than you should be all set.

If that doesn't fix it I would check for power coming out from the breaker--perhaps the breaker itself has failed. CAUTION--if you're not comfortable making use of a volt meter around live 120V AC circuits you should probably leave this to somebody who is!

If there's power exiting the breaker the next place to check would be the blank receptacle/junction box in the pantry where the line splits to go up front and to the the dinette.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

The 2004 Sightseer diagram doesn't show an inverter, however the 2005 Sightseer 30B Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram does. In the 2005 diagram the inverter doesn't power the dinette receptacle.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Mine didn't have an inverter but was installed by the dealer . It only powers the 3 outlets mentioned. The front tv cabinet,the outlet beeside the passenger seat and the dinette outlet. The inverter has worked fine all these years.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If switching the breaker off/on doesn't fix things then I would suspect the inverter.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

It was the XANTEX Pro 1000 inverter. I bypassed it and the those 3 front outlets are working. Once again thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.