Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

10W Solar Panel Output

We just purchased a used 2012 Winnebago Adventurer 32H. The LED light indicator for the 10W solar panel does not light. Where can I measure the output from the solar panel and what voltage output range should I expect?

Thanks!

Don
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The easiest place I've found to test mine is at the panel itself where the lead wires are attached. Others may have a different suggestion.

Prevailing wisdom has it that monocrystaline panels degrade at about 0.5% per year. The Real Lifespan of Solar Panels - Energy Informative

We still have the original 10W panel that our Journey came with. (rectifying that soon ) Based on the above, one would expect about a 5% or 6% degradation since 2007. I measure closer to 10%. That seems to be consistent the experiences of neighbors and fellow travelers we've spoken with. But, technology keeps improving!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You really can't measue it without cutting a wire which I wouldn't recommend. It is likely putting out a half amp on a good day at about 17 volts. It is meant to keep a fully charged chassis battery topped up when stored and does a reasonable job. There is no controller in the circuit - it is connected directly to the battery feed - not the battery itself if it is like the one on my 09 Journey.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On my 2002 Suncruiser, there's a breaker above the batteries behind an access panel in the step well. If you have this, you could measure it there.

Failing that, you could always figure out where it connects to the battery.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who replied. The info is appreciated.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel