Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

'04 Vectra AGM Inverter Question

My '04 Vectra has the original Sensata Dimensions 2000 inverter/charger model # 12X20B3R4T.

I need to replace the house batteries, am thinking about switching to AGM for a variety of reasons. Currently running (3) 12v type 27s in parallel, all I need since I rarely dry-camp. May go with type 31s if they fit

Question - due to the age of the inverter, there is no mention in the doc or online that I could find about an "AGM" setting or support on the inverter.

Any thoughts on issues running the AGM batteries on this older inverter?
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

AGM batteries are the same basic chemistry as flooded cells. They can be charged with the same profile and if there is a periodic pulse of 14.4 volts after storage it is not needed by AGMs but will not hurt them.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Scott!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
My '04 Vectra has the original Sensata Dimensions 2000 inverter/charger model # 12X20B3R4T.

I need to replace the house batteries, am thinking about switching to AGM for a variety of reasons. Currently running (3) 12v type 27s in parallel, all I need since I rarely dry-camp. May go with type 31s if they fit

Question - due to the age of the inverter, there is no mention in the doc or online that I could find about an "AGM" setting or support on the inverter.

Any thoughts on issues running the AGM batteries on this older inverter?
emiddleb,
Our coach is almost a sister ship to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. We purchased it about 6 years ago, with the same exact Dimensions 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger and, three Group 29 12V so-called "Deep/cycle Marine" batteries by Interstate. Long story short, the batteries were only a year old and were JUNK. I had to replace one within a month of purchase of the coach. When a second one went bad a month later, I shi... canned all three and went with Costco 6V deep cycles, four of them.
About a year later, the charger side of our Dimensions Inverter/charger went south. I managed to find a 6 month old Magnum MSW ME2012 (model number, not year) for $650 on C/L. I did the install and, all has been well since.

Going AGM is nice if you don't mind spending the SERIOUSLY higher cost. And, they do have benefits. But, the Costco 6Vters that I purchased lasted about 4.5 years and I just replaced them.

Your Dimensions unit is a good unit. They do work well. You can call a tech on your unit and he'll tell you all about it and, if there's any issues with changing over to the AGMs. I used to have their number but, it's not hard to find.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Scott,

My situation is almost exactly what you describe... 3 Interstate Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries that only gave me about 2 years. Even though I went out every 2 months to check water levels while storing over winter, at least one died, the Dimensions kept trying to charge them and the result was a hefty electric bill from the campground where I park.

I'll rethink the AGM (yeah, $$) over the 6v route. Just not sure I want to get into the rewiring issues, but I know 6v is the way I should go.

Did get the Dimensions tech support # - 855-633-7257 in case anyone else needs it.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Hi Scott,

My situation is almost exactly what you describe... 3 Interstate Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries that only gave me about 2 years. Even though I went out every 2 months to check water levels while storing over winter, at least one died, the Dimensions kept trying to charge them and the result was a hefty electric bill from the campground where I park.

I'll rethink the AGM (yeah, $$) over the 6v route. Just not sure I want to get into the rewiring issues, but I know 6v is the way I should go.

Did get the Dimensions tech support # - 855-633-7257 in case anyone else needs it.

Thanks,
Ed
Hey Ed,
When I spoke with the tech at Dimensions, He told me that for about $550 or so, he'd totally rebuild that Dimensions unit and upgrade it with more modern logic sensor boards and all that. But, I had already bought the used Magnum unit. I really got lucky finding that Magnum unit.

As for the AGMs over the Costco 6V, we camp dry every so often. While I'm not really apposed to the high cost of "getting the best" (AGMs), I just can't justify it due to the fact that we camp with hook-ups more than we camp dry. So, the 6V units have, and will continue to do the job for us.

As for the "Re-wiring". It's really a piece of cake. I utilized the original battery to coach cables since they had enough play in the length to accommodate the change. All I really had to make was the two inter-connecting ones. I made those out of some 1GA and purchased the copper lugs at a local auto parts store. I soldered them using a propane torch. Pretty simple to do.

People say that the "1GA" wire is not large enough to handle the load if and when, the coach batteries are needed to help out the chassis batteries turn over the big CAT engine, should the chassis batteries run low in voltage. Well, I proved all them wrong, more than once. Those coach 6V units helped turn that CAT over just fine. You don't do that sort of stuff every 10 minutes so, 1GA works fine for the intended purpose.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks again. I appreciate the photos and info!

Tags
inverter