Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know if the electrical transfer switch is mechanical or electronic on this unit...I have no 110 in coach and inverter, surge guard and cord all check out ok...so last in line is transfer switch,,,so wondering bout it and how to repair or replace..Thanks

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know if the electrical transfer switch is mechanical or electronic on this unit...I have no 110 in coach and inverter, surge guard and cord all check out ok...so last in line is transfer switch,,,so wondering bout it and how to repair or replace..Thanks

Malibu Toad
Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

From one Okie to another...

Sounds like the transfer switch is the likely problem. I think it is kind of like large "points" ...more mechanical than electronic in my mind. I recently had to replace mine (Parallax ATS5070 model) after a lightning strike and it would not lock in one leg. Try giving it several hard "smacks" and see if it then locks in. I've had mine "stick" in the past and a couple of hard "smacks" made it pop in.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had that problem once with my 01 Ultimate---turned out it was a fuse inside the inverter---when that fuse blew I had no 110 in the coach even though I was showing 110 at the transfer switch.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Some times the transfer switch 'sticks'. With shore power off, do you have electricity when running the genset? If you do, then turn off the genset, turn the shore power on, and whack the transfer switch with your hand or a rubber mallet.

As Paul mentioned, they are like 'points' in a distributer. If the manual motivation fails, then I'd check the fuse as mentioned also. I don't know how to get to the fuse though and someone might have detailed instructions.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had the same experience as rnabors, when the breaker on the inverter trips you will not get any 110V inside the coach. I think it is also the most likely cause of the posters problem.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have heard there is a fuse in the inverter also....If the KNOCK method doesnt work,,,does anyone know where the fuse is located and how to get to it...thanks

Malibu Toad
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I watched the tech when he fixed mine. He removed the cover on the Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter and replaced a small glass fuse in the front area of the inverter.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Okie,
There is a 30 amp a/c circuit breaker on the inverter that will pop sometimes. All the circuits on the electrical sub panel (outlets, microwave, etc) go thru that breaker. If you still have air conditioning but no power at the microwave and outlets, you might check that.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When I had my problem the 30amp push breaker on the front of the inverter did not pop. There is another small glass fuse inside the inverter.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all of you for the good advice...I went out and used the KNOCK method on the switch and I now have 110 power in the coach...just hope it lasts awhile...again thanks for the help...

Malibu Toad