Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

here are the facts.Outside air temp is about 83,room temp is 78 at best, supply temp is 60.8, return temp is75.5. with everything cut off the ac is pulling 22-23 amps. The filter and coil is clean. The duct is entact and air flow out of vents is good. hardly no one wants to work on these units.The last time I had it worked on the shop worked with rvp tech for over a week. they got it to cool but didnt know what fixed it.Between the brakes failing 3 times and this ac breaking at least 3 times, Im ready to get rid of it. any ideas on how to fix and what would a new unit cost. I found a shop to sell a scratch and dent one for 750.00 but I dont think rvp or coleman would warr it. any help would be app.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

here are the facts.Outside air temp is about 83,room temp is 78 at best, supply temp is 60.8, return temp is75.5. with everything cut off the ac is pulling 22-23 amps. The filter and coil is clean. The duct is entact and air flow out of vents is good. hardly no one wants to work on these units.The last time I had it worked on the shop worked with rvp tech for over a week. they got it to cool but didnt know what fixed it.Between the brakes failing 3 times and this ac breaking at least 3 times, Im ready to get rid of it. any ideas on how to fix and what would a new unit cost. I found a shop to sell a scratch and dent one for 750.00 but I dont think rvp or coleman would warr it. any help would be app.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

jdsr ...

I am sorry but I don't understand the facts in your post.

a) the temperature outside the coach is 85
b) the temperature inside the coach is 78
c) the temperature at the intake to your air conditioner is ???
d) the temperature at the cooling vent closest to the AC is ???

I have been told that if the temperature between c) and d) is between 15 to 20 degrees that is within specs of the unit
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

yes the outside air is 83, supply air temp(air coming out of ducts)is 60.8, return air temp(air being pulled back into air cond is 75.5, room temp is 78, thats the lowest temp we can get the ac to cool with it running all day with the outside temp only 83 degrees.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like the RV has huge heat loading. IOW, sitting in the direct sun and the entire system is at a high temperature. The delta between cold out to return warm in isn't great but close.

If you are still concerned, take it to a service palace.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Your other "discussion" titled "Basement AC Problem" posed the identical question. The answer is still the same as below which was posted to the "Basement AC Problem" discussion.

A temp difference between return and supply of 15 - 20* is normal and indicates AC is working properly. If your supply temp is about 60* but the inside temp is closer to 80* I don't think the AC is your problem. I think the ability of the RV to contain that temp and repel outside temp intrusino is the problem. Some things that affect cool down ability is before an AC unit lowers the temps appreciably it removes humidity. That is the water draining from the AC evaporator coil. Every time a door, window or vent is opened in a humid climate it quickly adds to the inside humidity the AC has to remove. Another factor is the insulation in the walls and ceilings. I'm not sure of the R value of it but I feel sure that it is not what is usual in a stick house. Another "trick" is to close slides it initially cool the RV. When the reduced volume has cooled then open the slides back up.
As far as service to the unit I have found excellent troubleshooting guides on RVP's website. I hope all this will help you with the AC problem.

KIX
2002 Ultimate Advantage 40J
Cummins ISC 350HP - Spartan
93 Jeep Rockcrawler
Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

jdsr,
We have 40' to cool off and with dark full body paint, it sucks up a lot of heat if were getting full sun all day. We camp a lot in the desert & we've learned some things we must do to help the a/c.

--If there's no shade trees, we park headed north to keep the sun away from the windshield (and the refridgerator too).
--We have window awnings all open and the patio awning open.
--We have 4 large pieces of the foil-lined bubble insulation for the windshield and the front side windows.
--I made a styrofoam cutout (1" thick) that fits in the shower skylight to insulate that heat source.
--We have 3 pieces of foil-lined bubble insulation that get velcro'd to each of the roof vents.

We've dry camped at the sand dunes for 4 days in 110 deg and managed to keep inside temp down to 84 deg which was quite acceptable for us. There are some on the forum that need 74 deg in those conditions, and added a roof a/c in addition to the basement air.

My '99 Chieftain was 34' with white sides and two 12 BTU roof units. It would chill down much faster than my '04, but it had a lot less cubic feet inside.

OBTW, jdsr, if you create a new topic, you can edit the subject line later, rather than create a second duplicate topic.

Good luck getting your coach cooled down,