Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I put this question on the Woodall forum but thought that I might get additional info if I also put it on this forum.
What do people use to renew the exterior plastic items such as refrigerator access plates and 110 volt outlet covers on an RV? After several years of UV exposure those parts start to take on a yellowish tinge and I would like to return them to their original whiteness. In the past I have seen articles on this and, of course, did not keep them. I would do a search but haven't the slightest idea as to a subject matter title.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I put this question on the Woodall forum but thought that I might get additional info if I also put it on this forum.
What do people use to renew the exterior plastic items such as refrigerator access plates and 110 volt outlet covers on an RV? After several years of UV exposure those parts start to take on a yellowish tinge and I would like to return them to their original whiteness. In the past I have seen articles on this and, of course, did not keep them. I would do a search but haven't the slightest idea as to a subject matter title.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Well, what works on mine is Bleach White and Mr. Clean Magic Sponge. I had good luck on the screw strip ocvers between the front and rear caps. After they're clean I use F-21 to keep them whiter longer.
Wet The sponge squeeze out excess water spray Bleach white on sponge.
The bleach white is strong suff I wouldn't spray it directly on painted surface.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might want to just clean them well and paint them with Krylon Fusion plastic paint. I've used it on several plastic items and it does a nice job. It is specifically formulated for plastic. Only need to clean the item with an ammonia-based cleaner, dry it and spray.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

what is F-21 ?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Most of us have had this problem of yellowing after a few years. I used the Krylon paint route and have had no more problems with them. Look like new. Prepping is the key to a good job.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

F-21 is an UV protection for tires/vinyl/rubber/plastic. Contains NO petroleum distillates.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"dengraham" asked: "What is F-21?"

It's a treatment from Turtle Wax - see: http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?erube_fh=erblog&erblo...rblog.BlogPostID= 177
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Red T,
Right on, just like I said...in a shorter version..
Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
You might want to just clean them well and paint them with Krylon Fusion plastic paint. I've used it on several plastic items and it does a nice job. It is specifically formulated for plastic. Only need to clean the item with an ammonia-based cleaner, dry it and spray. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 100% with Krylon Paint (White). Finished coat is as white and glossy as new item...and I had no post paint fade. You can find the Krylon Paints in the paint section of most Walmarts @ $3-4/12 oz can. For best results, use only on 50-85 degrees F and low humidity day.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Even the base of my Quisinart in my home kitchen is turning yellow. I thought it just was a sign of good aging...Maybe I need to get to the spray paint too...
Happy painting!!

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
...paint them with Krylon Fusion plastic paint... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used the Krylon Fusion paint and hate it. It seems to spray too fine and will dry in the air resulting in a paint job with a light powdered film that wipes off. I like the Clear Plastic paint (spray can) that Lowe's sells (American Traditions brand). You use it as a primer then you can paint the plastic item any colour that you want. It's great when you are trying to match an existing colour (like one of the many shades of white).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Ed - What is "Bleach White"? Is that a product name? Who makes it? I'd like to try your technique, but I've done a lot of "Googling" and haven't found a product named bleach white. Thanks...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Member"

Posted March 14, 2007 08:41 AM Hide Post
Ed - What is "Bleach White"? Is that a product name? Who makes it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tomsm, look for Westleys "Bleche White" at your automotive store.. Careful with this stuff tho, read the label.. It will clean your old mouldy sneakers tho, as well as its intended "white sidewall" use ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

rgr... Thanks, that splains it..
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Member"

Posted March 14, 2007 08:41 AM Hide Post
Ed - What is "Bleach White"? Is that a product name? Who makes it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Itll lighten and liten up the hair on your head too...be careful.

Tomsm, look for Westleys "Bleche White" at your automotive store.. Careful with this stuff tho, read the label.. It will clean your old mouldy sneakers tho, as well as its intended "white sidewall" use ...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Sorry I didn't reply been out enjoying the weather!86* nice time for Road Bicycle rides
You can also get bleach White at Wall-mart/K-mart.
Wet the surface first. You can use the Mr. Clean Magic sponge or a kitchen sponge. I like the MC because It's very soft and you can cut it to the size you need without making the wife mad.. LOL
I use it by wetting the surface, wet the sponge sqeeze out excess water and spray some bleach white on the sponge. Rub away. Keep rinsing and reaplying. Once you get it back to white. I put a coat of F-21 on it to keep it white longer. A lot of time people wax the plastic with Auto wax over time the wax itself will turn yellow especially on plastic.
lIKE I said in my last post it works great on the strips between the front and rear caps. I usually have to do them every 6 months or so because we're ALWAYS sunny warm weather well at least 99.9% anyway!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I've had the same problem with my outside mirrors yellowing on my 05 Minnie. I've tried "Awesome" full strength and it removed most of the yellowing. I think that re-painting will be the only real cure.
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote