Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Would you install a clutch fan on a CAT 330?

Gents,
Since this coach is new to us, I'm still learning lots about it. A tiny bit of back ground here. I've been a back yard mechanic for decades so, I've got experience in lots of areas but, certainly no EXPERT in any of them. On many of the cars and trucks I've owned in the past, that came with solid drive fans, I've installed clutch fans for two reasons. One, they're considerably quieter in operation and, of course with the proper fan blade, they've always cooled very well.

Now this 2004 Itasca, 36GD with the 330 CAT in it, is the first vehicle I've owned in a zillion years with a solid drive fan. I've heard that some have installed the optional clutch fan in theirs. Well, if any of you have done it, what were your results of the system after the install? Did it cool as well, in the same given situation as it would without the clutch fan? Was the engine operation considerably quieter? I know and realize that these are rear radiator systems and, therefore don't have the benifit of "forced air" cooling like a front radiator does. So, cooling is important, obviously, and if the sacrifice of noise vs good cooling is the priority here, well then, the clutch fan install is out. But, I thought I'd ask.

Oh, by the way, one, if any of you did it, did you do it yourself, and if not, what was the cost either way? Thanks
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm no mechanic but I would be surprised if you could get the RPM from a clutch fan but I am assuming it would be electric.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
I'm no mechanic but I would be surprised if you could get the RPM from a clutch fan but I am assuming it would be electric.
On a lot of DP's the tach is run by electricity off the alternator, as I remember our 2000 DSDP with 3126 was that way but not sure as we traded that rig off in 2002.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

diesel mechanic ,but on heavy trucks most fans run on air with temp. regular,also can have manual switch on dash--check it out might be what youj want.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

clutch fan, Cat 330

The big advantage of the thermostatic clutch fan is horsepower. That's a really big fan to run, I'm sure it sucks up some serious power. Do other engines in DPs run a clutch fan? Actually, when I first started crawling over under and around, I was curious why it had a solid drive fan. I just accepted it was there for some trucky reason, but now that you asked the question.....
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Scott, I'm not sure if there is a clutch fan available for your engine, but if your looking for better performance, check with these guys. Brazel's RV Centralia Washington

Also here http://hortonww.com/index_en.asp

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #7

The most important Thing Is cooling., Rear radiators are at there peake on cooling . There is a solid fan for a purpose; Don.t try to repair/fix something that works wonderful;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you go over to the Yahoo CATRVCLUB forum and do a search on the messages for 'fan clutch' you can see some discussion regarding the Horton fan clutch on a C-7. (You may need to join to see the messages, but that's easy to do.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #9

I Would like to point out one thing; From experiance; We developed Oilcoolers For motorcycles; Our testing was done over all ranges of tempatures 110 above to below freezing. Used the best oil lines the best cooling aluminum, Mounting , The list goes on and on. And so did the expence of developing. Then you invareable Get some %$#@%& that changes some thing , Incorrect oil,lines and has failer Then would come back to us and complain About the product;;.. My question is.. If they know so much about A product that They think they can make it better WHY didn't they make it in the first place..... When something is made There are millions of dollers spent to make the best that it is intended for. Lets not be trying to fix it if it's not broken.. Life is good ; Lets not go around stepping on toes, OK
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The other thing you might be missing is requirements for your dash air conditioner. On semi tractors they monitor not only engine temperature, but air conditioner pressure. When engine gets to warm, fan comes on to cool it down. When pressure climbs in air conditioner, because of heat, fan comes on. Your design should monitor both. I think you should leave well enough alone.....
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,

This is why I ask questions on this forum. To get opinions and experience. First off, I don't FIX THINGS THAT AREN'T BROKE! I simply wondered about CHANGING to a fan clutch on a CAT 330 which, a zillion of you have in various coaches. I have no idea how many or, if at all, fan clutches came in RVs, much less a 330 CAT equipped one. I will say that there are a zillion trucks out there with fan clutches in them and, I don't see any skeletons of trucks along side the road because of fan clutch that went south.

We had fan clutches on all of our fire trucks that worked flawlessly and those engines, like many RVs, are tucked up into a cab so, cooling is of utmost importance. They were all air actuated and, had various parameters on when they engaged. One, in pump for pumping water, two, when the A/C was turned on, three, when a certain temperature was reached and, four, a manual switch for when the engineer thought it was needed.

As for the dash A/C assisting control of the clutch fan, our dash A/C is on the side of the coach, on the opposite side of the basement air. So, I'm not sure even if if did have a factory fan clutch, that the dash A/C would have an effect on whether the clutch fan would engage or not.

I'm simply trying to find out if some one's done it or not. If so, how did it turn out? Would you recommend doing it or not. As for don't fix something that's not broke, the factories of cars, trucks, air planes, submarines and any other thing that's man made have been issuing recalls on their products for decades because there "could" be a break" or a catastrophe or even a minor inconvenience and the parts they've designed and installed. Only later to find out that their parts had/have flaws.

That doesn't mean my CAT 330 is going to disintegrate if I don't install a fan clutch on it. I'm just wondering if it's been done. And judging by the answers so far, no one here's done it or, had it done. That's all I'm asking.
Scott
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #12

A motorhome can Not be compared to a Truck As far as the cooling is concerned.. The Truck Style frame the Radeiator Sets out it front of the engine Getting nice Fresh cool air';; In the motorhome the air Moves from the Front all the way to the back Getting warmed up by the brakes the transmission, the engine , ETC. The in comming air At the radeator Front Verses the rear mounted; Would be The rear appx. 20%warmer then the front;; I say If it ain't Don't fix it. Life is good.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Scott

You are not trying to fix something thats not broke, but trying to just get some information . Something that many of us Cat. owners would like to know. Myself included.
If you do get any pertinant and solid information would you post it.

Ron
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

When I post a reply; It is Done with My 70+ years of testing And development of verious products; The posting are from our findings;; And are not ment to dissagree or dispute any posting ; Altho I DO get offended when someony questions My integrety.. It seem very childish. BUT what can you expect; Life is good ; Show me the money ; I'll show you the test sheets, OK: They cost me Millions. So please Pay up;; Life is good
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I've wondered why electric fans have not been used on the rear radiators - they do use them on side radiators don't they? Some members will say they won't push enough air but I would think that would depend on the fan.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I shall post a Question for the OP
Did a Cat 330 come from cat speced with a clutch fan on a rear rad application??
If so get the clutch AND fan that goes with it.
If not there is probibly a good reason for it.
I do understand your reason for wanting one. I belive they cool better when engauged and use less fuel and are quieter when not.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I shall post a Question for the OP
Did a Cat 330 come from cat speced with a clutch fan on a rear rad application??
If so get the clutch AND fan that goes with it.
If not there is probibly a good reason for it.
I do understand your reason for wanting one. I belive they cool better when engauged and use less fuel and are quieter when not.
Mekanic,
My thoughts EXACTLY! I will check into that and get back. I was going to anyway but, I was searching for experience here.
Scott
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Horton Catalog | Horton

Horton catalog for fan clutches.

they do have one for the Cat. 3126, however after googling and reading about some failures of these clutches it would not be for me.
Whether or not it was this particul clutch it is introducing another POSSIBLE point of failure
Not worth the risk factor on the unknown, when you have the tried and proven.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've wondered why electric fans have not been used on the rear radiators - they do use them on side radiators don't they? Some members will say they won't push enough air but I would think that would depend on the fan.
Safe Travels
Bob
Electric fans can't produce the power needed for either rear or side radiators. As far as I know all of those are either direct or hydraulic drive. (You may see electric fans for the chassis A/C condenser on the side of some coaches.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Electric fans can't produce the power needed for either rear or side radiators. As far as I know all of those are either direct or hydraulic drive. (You may see electric fans for the chassis A/C condenser on the side of some coaches.)
X2 very true. in fact electric fans don't even come close to the air flow of a belt driven or hydraulic driven fan.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fan, install